Doubt regarding CN analysis

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jun 29, 2022, 10:29:28 AM6/29/22
to cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Team,

I had 2 doubts regarding the copy number data I have processed from GISTIC2 and bought in cBioPortal:

1. I received a set of CNV results from one of our clinical teams and they had processed the CNV data using the ascat module, it essentially had the chr, location and copy number values from which I was able to create the .seg file to use as an input in the gistic2.0 pipeline. Hence, I was able to create the data_cna and data_log2_cna files and import them in cBioPortal. However, I was not able to create the cna.seg file as I was unable to understand how the seg.mean value was calculated. In the igv/SEG link it just mentions that: "It reads the last column as the numeric value for that locus". Any help on this regard on how to calculate and get this seg.mean value will be appreciated.

2. Is just a view query, since these are ovarian cancer samples, the most important genes for the study are BRCA1 and BRCA2. In the lolliplot view I can see the Copy number alterations for both the genes, example BRCA1 here:

image.png

However, in the study view it shows only BRCA2 gene having 1 mutation, BRCA1 is completely missing and the numbers also look odd. In the above image itself I can see at least 4 samples with Copy# alterations. Please find the reference image below showing only the BRCA2 gene when BRCA is being searched. The profiled samples for mutations and copy number and all samples are same as all are tumor samples:

image.png

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Tali Mazor

Jun 29, 2022, 12:01:52 PM6/29/22
to Vaishali Chakraborty, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, ritika...@gmail.com
Hi Vaishali,

1) I don't know anything about this, but I've cc'ed our lead data curator Ritika, who might be more familiar with this process than I am.

2) The chart in study view only shows amplifications & deep deletions, it will not show shallow deletions or gains. However, all those alteration types will appear in the mutations tab, which is why you see more alterations there than you do in the study view.

I hope that helps,
-Tali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jun 29, 2022, 12:24:16 PM6/29/22
to Tali Mazor, ritika...@gmail.com, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Tali,

Now it makes sense, thank you so much. I'll wait for Ritika's response on my first question.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 1, 2022, 4:55:46 AM7/1/22
to Tali Mazor, ritika...@gmail.com, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Ritika and Team,

Please let me know if you have any update on my previous question:

I received a set of CNV results from one of our clinical teams and they had processed the CNV data using the ascat module, it essentially had the chr, location and copy number values from which I was able to create the .seg file to use as an input in the gistic2.0 pipeline. Hence, I was able to create the data_cna and data_log2_cna files and import them in cBioPortal. However, I was not able to create the cna.seg file as I was unable to understand how the seg.mean value was calculated. In the igv/SEG link it just mentions that: "It reads the last column as the numeric value for that locus". Any help on this regard on how to calculate and get this seg.mean value will be appreciated.

Also, the seg.cn value used for input in gistic2.0 just to double check I did: seg.cn=log2(CN)-1 where CN is the called copy number value. Only for negative values i.e., when copy number = 0 which means a homozygous deletion, log2 of zero would have been infinity so I changed the seg.CN value to -2 wherever there was a deletion on both the alleles. Hope my understanding was correct on this, please let me know your suggestions.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 5, 2022, 2:39:32 AM7/5/22
to Tali Mazor, ritika...@gmail.com, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Team,

Any help on the below query will be greatly appreciated, quite stuck on this point at the moment.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 5, 2022, 11:03:59 AM7/5/22
to Tali Mazor, ritika...@gmail.com, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, kun...@mskcc.org

Ritika Kundra

Jul 5, 2022, 3:35:47 PM7/5/22
to Vaishali Chakraborty, Tali Mazor, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, kun...@mskcc.org
Hi Vaishali,

Sorry, you said "it essentially had the chr, location and copy number values from which I was able to create the .seg file to use as an input in the gistic2.0 pipeline." so why can't cna.seg be created?

Thanks,
Ritika

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 6, 2022, 12:40:36 AM7/6/22
to Ritika Kundra, kun...@mskcc.org, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, Tali Mazor
Hi Ritika,

Thank you for your response.

The seg.mean column in the cna.seg file, I was not able to understand the calculation that needs to be used. In the igv/SEG link it just mentions that: "It reads the last column as the numeric value for that locus" and the example.seg present in this link has negative and positive values. I also checked in IGV google groups link and they had mentioned that for a diploid organism IGV auto-calibrates and does a log2 of CN, this did not happen when I imported the data in cBioportal as well as IGV.

Also, even if I do a log2 of CN what will be the log2 of 0 where 0 is a Homozygous deletion. Plus, I also tried reverifying with the example.seg file provided by calculating the antilog 2 of the entries and the entries do not come equal to the called copy number values.

For example, in the first row of example file the seg.mean value = -0.7116 and Antilog2 of (-0.7116) = 0.610642 which is not a whole number like for called ploidy:

0 = Homozygous deletion
1 = Hetro Deletion
2 = Normal
3 = Amplification in one allele
4 = Amplification in 2 alleles or 2 copy Amplification in on allele

So, I figured I might be doing something wrong here. Basically, I wasn't able to figure out the seg.mean calculation which is one of the essential columns in the cna.seg file and any help on that front will be greatly helpful.

The .seg file has the seg.cn value which is used for input in gistic2.0 just to double check I did: seg.cn=log2(CN)-1 where CN is the called copy number value. Only for negative values i.e., when copy number = 0 which means a homozygous deletion, log2 of zero would have been infinity so I changed the seg.CN value to -2 wherever there was a deletion on both the alleles. Hope my understanding was correct on this, please let me know your suggestions.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 7, 2022, 11:46:55 PM7/7/22
to Ritika Kundra, kun...@mskcc.org, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, Tali Mazor
Hi Ritika and Team,

Any update on the below questions? Do let me know if you need any additional information like files from my end to check further.

Best regards,
Vaishali

kun...@mskcc.org

Jul 8, 2022, 11:26:23 AM7/8/22
to vaishali.ch...@gmail.com, ritika...@gmail.com, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, tma...@ds.dfci.harvard.edu

Hi Vaishali,

Hmm I think you might need to consult with someone from CNA bioinformatics pipeline. But we did find a similar question on Biostar that might be helpful for you:
https://www.biostars.org/p/306180/

It might be actually helpful if you ask on Biostars.

Thanks,

Ritika

However, in the study view it shows only BRCA2 gene having 1 mutation, BRCA1 is completely missing and the numbers also look odd. In the above image itself I can see at least 4 samples with Copy# alterations. Please find the reference image below showing only the BRCA2 gene when BRCA is being searched. The profiled samples for mutations and copy number and all samples are same as all are tumor samples:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Vaishali

*** Only open attachments or links from trusted senders. Report phishing to inf...@mskcc.org ***

Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups
from your computer.

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 9, 2022, 12:55:20 AM7/9/22
to kun...@mskcc.org, Ritika Kundra, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, Tali Mazor
Hi Ritika,

Thank you for your help and sending the link? What is the pipeline that you use at MSKCC for Copy Number detection which will provide results in coherence with data loading in cBioPortal, I can try that as well.

Best regards,
Vaishali

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 21, 2022, 12:01:00 AM7/21/22
to kun...@mskcc.org, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group, Ritika Kundra, Tali Mazor
Hi,

Any update on the below question?

Best regards,
Vaishali

kun...@mskcc.org

Jul 22, 2022, 12:40:44 PM7/22/22
to vaishali.ch...@gmail.com, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, ritika...@gmail.com, tma...@ds.dfci.harvard.edu

Hi Vaishali,

There are many different methods used throughout MSK for CNA detection. One example is the MSK-IMPACT clinical series where they define their methods in these two publications:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25801821/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28481359/

Error! Filename not specified.

However, in the study view it shows only BRCA2 gene having 1 mutation, BRCA1 is completely missing and the numbers also look odd. In the above image itself I can see at least 4 samples with Copy# alterations. Please find the reference image below showing only the BRCA2 gene when BRCA is being searched. The profiled samples for mutations and copy number and all samples are same as all are tumor samples:

Error! Filename not specified.

Vaishali Chakraborty

Jul 25, 2022, 7:44:11 AM7/25/22
to kun...@mskcc.org, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, ritika...@gmail.com, tma...@ds.dfci.harvard.edu
Hi Ritika,

Thank you for your help. Have a great week!

Best regards,
Vaishali