Normal tissue mRNA seq source

Lindsey Mortensen

Jul 25, 2022, 1:33:30 AM7/25/22
to cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi there,

Looking to make some expression comparisons using RNAseq data from the HNSCC TCGA PanCan data. It gives me the option to compare Z scores for different genes relative to "normal samples." I've looked into original pubs to uncover any additional information on the normal samples (e.g. sample size, methods, etc.) and what type of tissue these samples are derived from (e.g. any normal tissue or specifically samples from oral mucosa). I am not having a lot of luck and am hopeful you can direct me to a place with some answers? Looked at GDC which has the raw data, but am somewhat unsure how to proceed in finding the specific comparison being made here. Appreciate your help.

Best,
Lindsey

ole...@thehyve.nl

Jul 26, 2022, 4:38:24 AM7/26/22
to cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Lindsey,

I think the explanation in this documentation page: Z-score normalization script will solve your questions.

Regards,
Oleguer Plantalech-Casals
The Hyve

Nikolaus Schultz

Jul 26, 2022, 6:30:22 PM7/26/22
to ole...@thehyve.nl, cBioPortal for Cancer Genomics Discussion Group
Hi Lindsey,

Just to add: The normal samples used by the different TCGA projects are healthy tissue samples from the same organ. I am not sure if details are available on what subset of the organ the sample was from though - I know for ovarian cancer, for example, they used normal Fallopian tubes. The number of samples used also varies from cancer type to cancer type, but from my memory there were 20-30 normal samples per tissue.

I hope this helps.
Niki.