Regarding Select Genomic Profiles

Peixin Dong

Aug 17, 2022, 9:06:29 PM8/17/22
to cbiop...@googlegroups.com

Dear cBioPortal group,

I am exploring the expression of the TTK gene and TIMP3 gene in Uterine Corpus Endometrial Carcinoma (TCGA, PanCancer Atlas), trying to find:

1.     whether those endometrial patients with high TTK expression would express less TIMP3.

2.     whether TTK is overexpressed, while TIMP3 is downregulated in endometrial cancer tissues relative to normal tissues

Could you kindly please let me know the difference between:

1.     mRNA expression z-scores relative to normal samples

2.     mRNA expression z-scores relative to all samples

In my case, which one I should select?

Thank you so much for your help.

Peixin Dong, MD, PhD

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology

Hokkaido University School of Medicine

Hokkaido University

N15, W7, Kita-ku, Sapporo, 0608638, Japan

Tel: +81-11-706-5941; Fax: +81-11-706-7711

E-mail: dpx...@med.hokudai.ac.jp; E-mail: dpx...@gmail.com

Benjamin Gross

Aug 18, 2022, 10:41:46 AM8/18/22
to Peixin Dong, cbiop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peixin,

mRNA expression z-scores relative to all samples are computed expression z-scores (log-transformed) for gene/sample compared against the expression distribution of _all_ samples in the cohort.

mRNA expression z-scores relative to normal samples are computed z-scores for gene/sample compared against expression of  _all_adjacent _normal_ samples in the cohort.

I’m not a biologist, generally speaking I think comparing expression against adjacent normal tissue is a better control, gives a clearer signal.  Someone else on the team may have more to say.

I hope this helps,
-Benjamin