Inconstancy in the downloaded study table

Shelly Aviv

Jul 11, 2023, 9:56:31 AM7/11/23
to cbiop...@googlegroups.com, Eyal Itskovits

Hello,

I have downloaded a study data using the R library cbioportalR.

For some reason, I found inconsistency between the file I’ve downloaded using the R library and the one I’ve downloaded from the web portal.

For example, looking at copy number alteration table, for the study Id acc_tcga_pan_can_atlas_2018, I looked for the value of gene A1BG for sample id TCGA-OR-A5J1-01.

This is the R code that I’ve used:

df <- get_genetics_by_study(study_id = "acc_tcga_pan_can_atlas_2018")
cna_A1BG <- subset(df$cna, hugoGeneSymbol == "A1BG" & sampleId == "TCGA-OR-A5J1-01")
dim(cna_A1BG)
[1] 0 9

There is no such entry in the downloaded table, but in the web portal there is, and the alteration value is -1:

acc_tcga_pan_can_atlas_2018

TCGA-OR-A5J1-01

-1

Moreover, when I looked at the unique values of “alteration” column it has only either 2 or -2.

Just to make sure, is this the right way to interpret the alteration values:
-2 = homozygous deletion;
-1 = hemizygous deletion;
0 = neutral / no change; 1 = gain;
2 = high level amplification.

I would really appreciate your help on that,

Thanks,

Shelly

GSK monitors email communications sent to and from GSK in order to protect GSK, our employees, customers, suppliers and business partners, from cyber threats and loss of GSK Information. GSK monitoring is conducted with appropriate confidentiality controls and in accordance with local laws and after appropriate consultation.

Benjamin Gross

Jul 11, 2023, 11:51:26 AM7/11/23
to Shelly Aviv, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, Eyal Itskovits
Hi Shelly,

I’m not finding an alteration for this gene/sample combination (see image below and CNA table w/filter for A1BG). Can you send me a link to the web portal where you see this alteration value?

You are correctly interpreting the CNA discrete values.  Here is further info on our FAQ

Shelly Aviv

Jul 11, 2023, 4:41:50 PM7/11/23
to Benjamin Gross, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, Eyal Itskovits

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for the fast reply!

The steps I did are as follow:

  1. Type A1BG in the query line
  2. Go to Download tab
  3. Download Copy-number Alterations (OQL is not in effect)

The downloaded file is attached, and the example I gave is in line 202.

Again, from the file I’ve downloaded using the R api, the only alteration values are -2 and 2 for this study id.

Thanks again for the help!

From: Benjamin Gross <benjami...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 18:51
To: Shelly Aviv <shelly...@gsk.com>
Cc: cbiop...@googlegroups.com <cbiop...@googlegroups.com>, Eyal Itskovits <eyal.x.i...@gsk.com>
Subject: Re: [cbioportal] Inconstancy in the downloaded study table

EXTERNAL

cna_A1BG.csv

Benjamin Gross

Jul 11, 2023, 5:13:28 PM7/11/23
to Shelly Aviv, cbiop...@googlegroups.com, Eyal Itskovits
Hi Shelly,

I was able to confirm what you see.  This is independent of the use of the R library.  No alteration found on web pages, but alteration found in downloaded cna file.  I’ve submitted an issue to the dev team to take a closer look.  Here is the link to track progress:

Best,
Benjamin

From: Benjamin Gross <benjami...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 18:51
To: Shelly Aviv <shelly...@gsk.com>
Cc: cbiop...@googlegroups.com <cbiop...@googlegroups.com>, Eyal Itskovits <eyal.x.i...@gsk.com>

EXTERNAL

Hi Shelly,

I’m not finding an alteration for this gene/sample combination (see image below and CNA table w/filter for A1BG). Can you send me a link to the web portal where you see this alteration value?

You are correctly interpreting the CNA discrete values.  Here is further info on our FAQ

<PastedGraphic-4.png>
<cna_A1BG.csv>