Announcement and Call for Workshop Papers: Fourth Canadian Business History Workshop (Rotman School

Canadian Business Historians/historiens des affaires canadiens

Jan 7, 2014, 10:03:04 AM1/7/14
to cbh...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 25, 2014 the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto will host the Fourth Canadian Business History Workshop. For the past few years, the workshops organized by the Canadian Business History Group/Groupe d’historiens des affaires canadiens have been a bi-annual event. With this format, we are hoping to attract and encourage research on a wide-range of topics done by business historians in Canada.

The core of the workshops has been discussions of papers, distributed to and read by the group, which has in the past consisted of 10 to 20 Canadian historians, students, and guest scholars with a variety of backgrounds and interests. For this meeting, the discussion of two papers in a morning session will be followed by a panel on the future of Canadian business history. Philip Scranton, editor and chief ofEnterprise and Society and Walter Friedman, co-editor of Business History Review have kindly agreed to comment on the papers and participate in the panel.

We are eager to draw on recent business history research, especially work that illustrates the strengths and weaknesses of the Chandlerian model for Canadian business history. We encourage both professors and graduate students to attend and to submit papers for discussion, and students can apply to have their travel expenses paid. Even if you are unable to submit a proposal, please let us know as soon as possible about your interest in and ability to attend the workshop, which will help us with the organization of the meeting. We hope to attract scholars representing the many varieties of business history in Canada. Our intention is that the workshop will last much of the morning and afternoon. Lunch will be provided.

Please communicate your intent to attend by 30 March, and if sending a proposal, please email it by January 31, 2014 to Andrew Ross (jar...@uoguelph.ca) or Chris Kobrak (cpko...@aol.com). Decisions will be communicated by February 15, 2014, and papers should be submitted by April 5, 2014. Program, papers, and logistical details will be sent out by April 10, 2014.