Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- November 2nd, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Nov 3, 2010, 12:51:43 AM11/3/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

November 2nd, 2010

Winter is Here

Message From the President

Shalom Chaverim! What an exciting time for all of us now that the San Francisco Giants have won the World Series! I know that I am on an all-time high at this moment. I watched all of the playoff games and all of the World Series games -- time well spent! Well, now that the games are done, and everyone has voted in the election (I hope), and we have celebrated or mourned the results, we can focus on Jews' Next Dor activities.

I am very energized about all of the events on our calendar in the coming days and weeks ahead. I invite y'all to join us for the "Ice Cream Social and Game Night". This is a very popular event! Make sure you write your ice cream and topping choices on the event wall.

I also invite you to join us for the First Shabbat Potluck, our Second Wednesday Meet and Greet at Great Vegi-Land and an exciting trip to the theatre to see West Side Story.

There are also many events happening during Hanukkah -- especially the annual Young Adult Hanukkah Party "Light It Up!". This has been very well-attended in the past, and we want to keep it that way. That means you need to RSVP and join us. Light It Up! is being held at Beth David this year, and we are grateful to the Beth David community for being such gracious hosts. We are also putting out a call for volunteers for this event, as there is a lot to be done in the next month. Please contact us if you are interested in volunteering: jewsn...@beth-david.org.

I am looking forward to all of the events we have coming up, and would love to see you soon. We do our best to have a diverse amount of programming in order to attract diverse audiences. However, we look to you, our volunteers to suggest and plan programs that you would like to come to. Our events are great places to see old friends and meet new ones.

Have a wonderful week and we will see you soon.

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor -- Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Introducing the Board: Ben Leitner, Treasurer

Hi Everyone!

I grew up at Congregation Beth David, where my parents (particularly my dad) are still very active in running the place. In 2007, I decided that math research wasn't my thing, and I moved back to San Jose for my first post-grad-school job. Knowing I'd be back in the area and knowing how well direct pressure works on me, my dad talked to Aleeza, saying, "[Ben] doesn't know it yet, but he wants to join your group." He was, of course, right on target. So I was invited to a couple of events and haven't looked back since. I joined CBD as a member on my own, and I've become a regular member of the Jews' Next Dor "Kiddush Club" that often attends Shabbat morning services. I also frequently read torah, and I'm one of the High Holiday leaders.

With two math degrees under my belt, the treasurer position seemed just my thing and so here I am. It's my job to make sure we have the money to do all the cool things we do for which we need money (certain co-sponsored events, making sure we have supplies for potlucks, etc). I keep the budget and write the checks.

So, if you buy stuff for the group and want to be reimbursed, talk to me. If you think we should co-sponsor an event that will need funding, talk to me. If you want to donate to the group, talk to me -- our affiliation with Beth David means that all donations are tax-deductible. Basically, if you have any question that uses the words "money" and "Jews' Next Dor," talk to me.

Of course, you can talk to me even if you don't have any such questions. I promise I won't bite.

-Ben

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar.

Introduction to Judaism

Tuesdays starting November 2nd, 7:30pm-9:30pm
Congregation Sinai -- 1532 Willowbrae Ave., San Jose, CA
Interested in learning more about Judaism? This interactive course explores basic Jewish belief, history, and practice through lectures, readings and discussions. All are welcome. Taught by Rabbi Josh Berkenwald and co-sponsored by Congregation Beth David. Meets most Tuesday nights 7:30-9:30 pm at Congregation Sinai, beginning November 2, 2010.

This event is part of the Adult Education program of Congregation Sinai and Congregation Beth David.

How much: $75 per person, $95 per couple. Contact the office to register or to receive more information.

First Shabbat Potluck

November 5th, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for our monthly potluck Shabbat dinner! This event is at a private home in Mountain View and its address will be released closer to the event.

The host will provide challah, wine, the main dishes, and cutlery and plates. Please bring a vegetarian/dairy appetizer, side, dessert, and/or drink to share. If there is a particular thing you want to share with us, please do; if you aren't sure what to bring, please follow these suggestions to help us get an even distribution of courses:

If your last name begins with:
A-G, please bring a side/salad
H-M, please bring a dessert
N-R, please bring an appetizer
S-Z, please bring a drink
**Note: if the host contacts you about bringing a main dish, you do NOT also need to bring something else from this list.

If you have questions about this event, please email JewsN...@beth-david.org.

We look forward to seeing you!

CBD Game Night

November 7th, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Games, games, and (you guessed it!) more games!

Join Jews' Next Dor for our annual game night at Congregation Beth David. As if that isn't enough, there will also be ice cream and yummy toppings!

Cost is $5 a person, please RSVP to JewsN...@beth-david.org.

We'll also be collecting new toys in their original packaging for our Holiday Toy Drive to support Jewish Family Services. We're looking for new toys for ages 0-17 unwrapped. Thanks to everyone who's donated so far, let's keep the toys coming.

Organized by Ben L. and Jason P.

Meet & Greet -- Great Vegi Land

November 10th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Great Vegi Land -- 562 S. Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale, CA
Jews' Next Dor's Second Wednesday Meet and Greet for November will be at an all vegan Buddhist restaurant. Great Vegi Land offers a long menu of mock meat, tofu, and vegetable-based dishes. We'll be enjoying the Chef's choice family-style.

This place is CASH ONLY, and the cost will be no more than $20 (singles are appreciated.)

RSVP on our Facebook event page or by e-mail to JewsN...@beth-david.org.

Organized by Aileen M. and Ben L.

Congregation Beth David: Official Installation of Rabbi Ohriner

November 13th, 9:30am-1:30pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Jews' Next Dor will be joining Congregation Beth David as we officially welcome and install Rabbi Philip Ohriner, the new Assistant Rabbi. We'll try to sit together during services near the back of the main section, and we'll sit together at the lunch that follows services. RSVPs for lunch are requested to instal...@beth-david.org with your name and number attending by November 1st.

Organized by Aleeza A.

West Side Story

November 17th, 8:00pm-11:00pm
Orpheum Theater -- 1192 Market Street San Francisco, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for an evening of the classic Bernstein/Sondheim musical West Side Story. Fun Fact: Early versions of the script had the Montague/Capulet conflict being between the Jews and the Catholics in the Lower East Side. If you'd like to see the latest production from Broadway, join us for an 8pm show at the Orpheum Theater in San Francisco.

We need at least 15 people to get the group rate of $35 a person for center balcony, otherwise the cost is $45. Please make sure to RSVP to JewsN...@beth-david.org, not just on the Facebook event page, by November 10th so we can get an accurate head count before reserving the tickets. We will let you know if we have enough for the group rate at that time.

To save on parking, we'll meet at the Millbrae BART station and take the 7pm train to Civic Center station ($8.50 round trip) and walking a couple of blocks to the theater. Post on the Facebook event wall or add to your emailed RSVP if you'd like to carpool to Millbrae.

Organized by Levi G.

JUCI and Jews' Next Dor Hot Oil Chanukah Party & Havdalah

November 20th, 9:00pm-November 21st, 1:00am
Private House -- Sunnyvale, CA
This month the regular 3rd Saturday havdalah party will feature the miracle of sufganiot (special Israeli Hanukah donuts) and hot oil fried goodness. Come celebrate and get in the mood for Hanukah which starts soon after. We're also celebrating one year of monthly havdalah parties and the creation of a new South Bay group, JUCI. This party is co-sponsored by JUCI, Jews' Next Dor, and Pomegranates.

Potluck appetizer and wine party to follow. Your hosts will be frying up freshly made, Israeli sufganiot from an old family recipe. Please bring a kosher dairy/vegetarian appetizer (potato latkes encouraged), wine, fruit, or dessert of your choice to share.

Note that our host has a cat and this is a shoeless house.

Please RSVP to JewsN...@beth-david.org or on the facebook event. Address will be sent to all RSVPed guests.

Jews' Next Dor and SVYAD: Toy Wrapping Party

November 22nd, 7:00pm-8:00pm
Los Gatos JCC/Levy Family Campus -- 14855 Oka Rd., Los Gatos, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor and SVYAD in the mitzvah of wrapping presents for children and families that are served by Jewish Family Services (JFS). Snacks and fun provided. Please donate a roll of Hanukkah wrapping paper for gift wrapping.

New, unwrapped toys can be dropped off at any Jews' Next Dor event, in the box in the lobby of Congregation Beth David (19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga) or with Amanda at the Federation.

The gifts will be distributed by Jewish Family Services.

Organized by Sari W.

Light It Up!

December 4th, 9:00pm-December 5th, 1:00am
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Join hundreds of young adults for the most rockin' Chanukah party in the South Bay! Hosted annually by numerous groups across the South Bay and Peninsula, this evening features music, dancing, delicious treats, raffles and an open bar!

RSVP today to reserve your space for only $10! Registration can be completed on the Federation web site -- price goes up to $15 at the door.

We are also having a canned food drive -- please bring your non-perishable items to the event and all items will be donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank.

The party starts at 9pm and candle lighting is at 10pm.

Light It Up is co-sponsored by Jews' Next Dor, SVYAD, Hillel of Silicon Valley, Hillel of Stanford, Roots Collective, OFJCC Young Adults Group,Temple Emanu-El Young Adults Group and T'Keya.

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

After lunch (around 1:30pm) join the congregation for these Shabbos afternoon activities (about an hour long):

1st & 3rd Saturday: Rabbi Pressman and Rabbi Ohriner cordially invite you to join them for an informal opportunity to sing Shabbat table songs; learn new melodies; and explore their meaning, history, and beauty.

2nd Saturday: Book Group

4th Saturday: Laugh & Learn with Doug Brook

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by shopping through Shuk 2 Shul.

Visit Us