Potluck in the Park, Tisha B'Av, Meet & Greet and more from Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor

Aug 5, 2011, 10:38:12 AM8/5/11
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews-Next-Dor-Logo-White.png

August 5, 2011

Friends and Neighbors,

It was great to see old friends and make new friends at Giants Jewish Heritage Night at AT&T Park. We’re continuing the park theme today as we join with Hillel at Stanford Grad and Young Professional group for an outdoor Potluck Shabbat. We’re even bringing you an extra chance to spend Shabbat with Jews’ Next Dor this month as we join Congregation Beth David for their annual BBQ & Barkhu on August 26. Please take a moment to register online for this Kosher dinner.

This week is the commemorative holiday of Tisha B’Av.  Learn more about it from Rabbi Ohriner’s post earlier this week, and experience this unique evening service where it’s customary to sit on the ground among other customs. Congregation Beth David will be participating in the service at Congregation Sinai and all are welcome.

The High Holy Days are approaching, which means it’s time for our 4th Annual Apples & Honey Cook-off. Start thinking about what you want to enter; the official rules have been posted on our blog. We’ll be starting the Jewish New Year off on the right foot with a mitzvah as Team Jews’ Next Dor walks in Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes to support the American Diabetes Association on Sunday, October 9th, 2011 in San Jose. Please register online for our team.

Families rely on each other, and the Jews’ Next Dor family is no different. As such, our Steering Committee is forming committees to help with all things Jews’ Next Dor. We’d love for you to step forward for one of our committees or a onetime task, no time commitment is too small or large.

Thank you to all the volunteers who organized our July events Aileen M., Aleeza A., Amanda O., Ben L., Bianca M., David H., David K., Jennifer M., Micki A., Moshe Z., Shelley T., Shelli C., Yonatan B. and all those who pitched in to help them.

See you at one of the August events below,
Aleeza, Ben, Bianca, David, Ella, Levi & Shelli

JewsN...@beth-david.org

Upcoming Events

Shabbat Potluck in the Park
for Jews' Next Dor and Stanford Hillel Grads and Young Professionals
Friday, August 5, 2011
7pm-9pm
Peers Park -- 1899 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA

Jews' Next Dor and Stanford Hillel Grads and Young Professionals are joining together this month to co-sponsor an outdoor Shabbat celebration.  Join us for a tasty meal and schmooze with friends new and old.

We'll provide challah, wine, the main dishes, cutlery, and plates.  Please bring a vegetarian/dairy appetizer, side, dessert, and/or drink to share. If there is a particular thing you want to share with us, please do. If you aren't sure what to bring, please follow these suggestions to help us get an even distribution of courses:

If your last name begins with:
A-G, please bring a DESSERT
H-M, please bring an APPETIZER
N-R, please bring a DRINK
S-Z, please bring a SIDE/SALAD

**Note: if the host contacts you about bringing a main dish, you do NOT also need to bring something else from this list.

Since we'll be eating outside, you'll also want to consider bringing a blanket or something else on which to sit.  Feel free to bring frisbees or other fun park activities!  If you have questions about this event, please email JewsN...@beth-david.org.

We look forward to seeing you!
Organized by David H. and Anna S.

Jews' Next Dor Meet & Greet at Oren's Hummus Shop
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
7pm-9:30pm
Oren's Hummus Shop -- 261 University Ave, Palo Alto CA

Ready to eat Israeli food without traveling to Israel? Ready to chow down on authentic hummus, thick pita bread made from a machine imported from Israel, babaganoush, Israeli salad, pickles, olives and yes, shakshukah? Then it's time to go to Oren's Hummus Shop located at 261 University Ave, Palo Alto. This small hole in the wall "secret" is less than a month old. Join us on August 10, 2012 at 7pm for a truly authentic Israeli food experience!

The dinner will be between $12 and $20 per person.  Please bring cash with you. Small bills are appreciated. Invite your Jewish 20 and 30-something friends to join us too.

Organized by Daniel W.

Jews' Next Dor Pool Party
Sunday, August 14, 2011
2pm-5pm
Private Home -- RSVP for the Address

Join Jews' Next Dor for our August pool party! Bring your swimsuits, towels and sunscreen, and enjoy our beautiful weather.

Please also bring a vegetarian/dairy munchie or drink to share. No glass bottles are allowed in the pool area.

The address will be released closer to the event to those who RSVP as attending this event. You may also RSVP to JewsN...@beth-david.org

We look forward to seeing you at the pool!

BBQ & Barkhu with Congregation Beth David
Friday, August 26, 2011
6pm-9pm
Congregation Beth David, 19700 Prospect Road, Saratoga, CA

Pull up a seat to the young adult table at this outdoor Kosher barbeque with Congregation Beth David.

Shabbat BBQ Dinner at 6pm, Services at 8 pm. Come for either or both parts.

If you'll be joining us for dinner:
* Adults and teens: $18
* Children 6-12: $10;
* Children 5 and under: free.
* Family Maximum: $60.

RSVP to Congregation Beth David is required: http://beth-david.org/uncategorized/programming-committee-category/bbq-barchu-26-aug-11/  (Click the RSVP link) by Monday, August 22.

Contact Congregation Beth David at 408-257-3333 or in...@beth-david.org.
Or contact JewsN...@beth-david.org.
Organized by Aleeza A.

Marin Waterfall Hike with Jews' Next Dor & Yidventure
Sunday, August 28, 2011
10am-9pm
Park & Ride on the South Corner of Page Mill Road & I-280, Palo Alto, CA

Hike through a lush canyon, complete with gorgeous waterfalls (one tall enough to require a ladder), a dense redwood forest, and Stinson Beach. We will also enjoy spectacular ocean vistas as we explore another part of Mount Tamalpais State Park. This hike, at 7.8 miles round-trip with an elevation change of 1500 feet, is not meant for beginners.

Since we’re going up to Marin County, this adventure will take the entire day. Please plan accordingly. Pack a dairy/vegetarian lunch with you. We will have a delicious dairy/vegetarian dinner at Tony Tutto Pizza in Mill Valley (246 E. Blithedale Ave., Mill Valley, CA).

For carpools meet at the Park & Ride on the South Corner of Page Mill Road & I-280 in Palo Alto, CA at 10am. To organize other carpools, and/or to let us know to wait for you at the Palo Alto carpool please contact us either through email at JewsN...@beth-david.org or through the facebook event's wall.

You can also meet us at the Pantoll Ranger Station (see park map below) at 11:30am.  Cell reception at our destination is not great, so if you want to meet us there, please let us know through the facebook event wall or email, so we know to wait for you. There is a $6 day-use fee if you park in this paved parking lot; however, there is a small dirt parking lot at the start of Pantoll Road that is free.

Recommended Gear:
- Hiking boots
- Water
- Lots of dairy/vegetarian snacks (we’ll probably be eating lunch a bit late)
- Dairy/vegetarian lunch
- Sunscreen
- Hat
- Beach gear
- Change of clothes/shoes (if you’d like before dinner)
- Money for tolls, parking, and pizza

We’ll be hiking the Matt Davis and Steep Ravine Loop.  An exact description of the trails can be found at http://www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/stinson.html (although we will be starting the loop from the top).

Trail Map: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/471/files/MtTamalpaisBrochure.pdf (the map is on the last page)

Contact JewsN...@beth-david.org​.
Co-Sponsored by Jews' Next Dor and Yidventure.
Organized by Nadav S.

image002.png