Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- December 7th, 2010

1 view

Moshe Zadka

Dec 7, 2010, 2:45:38 PM12/7/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

December 7th, 2010

Happy Hanukkah Edition

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim! I cannot believe we are already in December and Hanukkah is here. Where has this year gone? Jews' Next Dor is serving up lots of events including our second Wednesday Meet and Greet Dinner -- join us for the last night of Hanukkah as we put the 8th candle on the menorah and enjoy a meal together. This weekend we have a Movie Night and a wonderful adventure to the Natural Bridges State Beach.

Jews' Next Dor is also engaging in a mitzvah project this month; a blood drive on Tuesday, December 14. If you are able to donate blood, please join us for this mitzvah that helps saves lives.

There are many more events coming up -- so, please check the Jews' Next Dor facebook group or our blog.

Jews' Next Dor is a fully volunteer-led, volunteer-run organization. This means that the officers and all event attendees are volunteers. All of the programs and events depend on volunteers, like you, to plan and organize our events. Do you like salsa dancing? hiking? Sports? Wouldn't it be great to plan something that you would like to come to? NOW is the time. We are calendaring out events for the next several months, and would love your ideas and your energy.

Jews' Next Dor is a place for Jewish young adults to meet, socialize and have fun. Our goal is to build a Jewish community where people feel welcome, make friends for life and have a place to be themselves. I want everyone to feel that they have a place within Jews' Next Dor. We always want new people to attend events and be involved.

I encourage everyone to talk to board members or others within the group to learn more about Jews' Next Dor. I am always happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Happy Hanukkah. Chag Sameach!

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor -- Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Introducing the Board: Aleeza, Immediate Past President

Hey Neighbor,

I grew up attending Kol Emeth and then Congregation Beth David (CBD), where I attended religious school, Hebrew High and USY, before going to UCSC. Upon returning, I started helping with marketing for CBD's young adults group. It soon turned into me running the group with a lot of volunteer support. So, for the last 5+ years, I've been very involved in all things Jews' Next Dor. All this experience makes me uniquely qualified to currently serve on the Jews' Next Dor Governing Committee as the Immediate Past President, IPP for short.

As IPP, I'm an advisor to help ensure continuity and transfer group knowledge to the current leadership and volunteers. I help maintain what has worked well for Jews' Next Dor by sharing group history and lessons learned, to help improve our group. As with all the Governing Committee members, I'd love to hear your feedback, ideas, answer questions, etc. So, please don't hesitate to send me a Facebook message or approach me at an event.

I'm also a volunteer, just like any of you can be for the group; it's a very rewarding experience. As such, I'm one of the people organizing Jews' Next Dor Shabbat where we lead Shabbat morning services at CBD for the congregation and provide lunch. We're looking at having it in late February or March. This event requires participation from many of you to fill all the parts and tasks involved, from grocery shopping for lunch items, to Torah readers, ark openers, service leaders, giving the drash, baking desserts for lunch, creating and printing the handout for the morning, and more. If you have questions, would like to participate or help organize please contact me through JewsN...@beth-david.org.

Jews' Next Dor Shabbat is a great opportunity to learn something new. Fellow Jews' Next Dor participants are willing to work with anyone wanting to learn or brush up on any part of the service. I also encourage you to come by CBD any Saturday morning, anytime between 9:30am and noon to get familiar with the service and stay for the lunch afterward. Most weeks you'll find fellow young adults, such as myself, there too.

Historically, we've just led the service and sponsored lunch. Do you have any interest in this being more of a Shabbaton? Would you be interested in having learning sessions or other Shabbat appropriate activities after lunch or Friday night? If so, what topics or activities would you participate in? Would you prefer the learning or Shabbat activities be a separate event? Please share your thoughts with us at JewsN...@beth-david.org or look me up under the admins of the Facebook group.

Happy Hanukkah,

Aleeza

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar.

Meet & Greet -- 8th Night of Hannukah

December 8th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
For this special Hannukah edition of Meet and Greet, our second Wednesday of the month tradition, we will be ordering Garden Fresh vegetarian Chinese food take out and eating it without wearing shoes in the living room of a private home in Mountain View!

Address will be sent out to those who RSVP on the facebook event or by mail to JewsN...@beth-david.org. Because it's the 8th night of Hannukah, we couldn't miss lighting up that whole menorah and we don't think the fire marshal will let us do it in the restaurant.

Bring your dreidels for one last game of chance before the holiday ends in a blaze of glory. Cost will be around $10-15 per person.

Please resist that comfortable "Maybe" spot, we won't order enough food if we don't know how many people will show up!

Movie Night -- Eurotrip

December 11th, 8:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Come join Jews' Next Dor for our first in a series of movie nights taking place throughout the winter. First up, "Eurotrip" -- a surprisingly hilarious romp through the stereotypes of European countries!

Natural Bridges State Beach and Monarch Grove Hike

December 12th, 12:30pm-5:00pm
Carpool at Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
This beach, with its famous natural bridge, is an excellent vantage point for viewing shore birds, migrating whales, and seals and otters playing offshore. Further along the beach, tidepools offer a glimpse of life beneath the sea. Low tides reveal sea stars, crabs, sea anemones, and other colorful ocean life.

The park's Monarch Grove provides a temporary home for up to 100,000 Monarch butterflies each winter. From roughly mid-October through mid-February, the Monarchs form a "city in the trees." The area's mild ocean air and eucalyptus grove provide a safe roost until spring.

Join Jews' Next Dor and Yidventure for a chance to Get to Know Our Own Backyard, a bi-monthly event where we explore different locations in the Bay Area. If you would like to carpool, show up at Beth David at 12:30pm and we'll leave promptly at 1pm. For those that want to drive separately, meet us at 2pm by the visitor center at the Monarch Butterfly Preserve. We have an hour long guided tour among the Monarchs scheduled for 2pm. We'll then have about another hour and a half to explore the remainder of the beach's natural beauty and perhaps walk down to the lighthouse before sunset.

Weather Note: In the case of rain, the event will only be canceled if it's a heavy downpour. Light sprinkling will be tolerated.