Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- August 17th, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Aug 18, 2010, 2:12:49 AM8/18/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

August 17th, 2010

Holidays: high and nearby

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim! I cannot believe August is almost over...but there is much more in store in the coming weeks.

First, and foremost, our Volunteer Meeting is on Wednesday, August 25. Come meet our new officers and find out what is in store for Jews' Next Dor. We are planning events through December and we want YOU to submit your ideas and take part in the programming process. These events are planned by you and for you -- so please join us.

Show off your culinary talents at our Annual Apples and Honey Cook-off! Join other aspiring JND chefs as they prepare delicacies to taste and enjoy. There will be prizes for the winners who have the best recipes. Do you have what it takes to be a cooking whiz? Join us on August, 29 and find out! However, all recipes need to be submitted to jewsn...@beth-david.org by August 25 in order to qualify.

We still have tickets available for Giants Jewish Heritage Night at at AT&T park on August 31st. Contact me, Sari Wisch, President for details on how to get your tickets and join in the pre-game activities. Email: jewsn...@beth-daivd.org or call 415-328-9616.

The High Holidays are almost here! Rosh Hashanah starts on September 8 -- we are beginning the year of 5771. Congregation Beth David is offering FREE High Holiday Tickets for persons 33 and under, Jews' Next Dor members, and military personnel. Contact the Beth David office at 408-257-3333 for more information. Yom Kippur begins on September 17...stay tuned for details about the Young Adult Community Break-Fast on the 18th -- join young adults from the Peninsula and the South Bay as we break the fast at The Kitchen Table in Mountain View.

Stay tuned for the plethora of events we are offering in the coming weeks. We look forward to seeing you.

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor, Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Introducing Rabbi Phillip Ohriner

Shalom Jews' Next Dor,

As the newly appointed assistant rabbi of Congregation Beth David, I also receive the great honor of serving Jews' Next Dor. My name is Philip Ohriner, and I am a recently ordained rabbi from the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. While I am a native of Knoxville, TN, my wife, Rabbi Shoshana (Winograd-Hutner) Ohriner grew up in Palo Alto and is thrilled to be back! We arrived in California a couple weeks ago and are still marveling at the ridiculously great weather!

In just the few short weeks that I have been in California, I have been incredibly impressed by the caliber of programming and individuals associated with our group. In the past weeks, I have learned that Jews' Next Dor serves as a model to other communities seeking to provide our demographic with a quality, low-key outlet for meeting other Jews and expressing our Judaism. As we enter the new Jewish year of 5771, I, along with the Jews' Next Dor governing committee, will continue the work of improving upon our programming, outreach, and inclusiveness.

One of the ways we will seek to do this is by introducing some new programs. The first is a holiday learning session. As important Jewish holidays approach, we will have an opportunity to get together and learn about each holiday's history, meaning, foods, and purpose. Another new opportunity for Jewish learning and camaraderie will be available at my house. Shoshana and I will be opening our home to Jews' Next Dor folks occasionally on Shabbat for those who would like to come experience a traditional Shabbat meal, its blessings, and songs. Stay tuned for details on these programs!

On a final note, Congregation Beth David and I look forward to greeting you at High Holy Day services. So, if you do not have a ticket yet just call the main office at (408) 257-3333. Also, please know that my office is always open to you and my direct line is (408) 366-9104. As we prepare for the High Holy Day season, I wish you all a Shanah Tovah U'metukah, a sweet and good new year, and I look forward to meeting you at future Jews' Next Dor events.

L'shalom,

Rabbi Philip R. Ohriner

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar

Second Harvest Food Sort

August 18th, 6:00pm-8:00pm
San Jose Distribution Center -- 750 Curtner Ave., San Jose, CA
Come join Jews' Next Dor at the Second Harvest San Jose Distribution Center. One more space left!

DON'T BE LATE! Due to training and securing of our warehouse, we are sometimes unable to accommodate late arrivals as registration closes 20 minutes past the schedule sorting shift time. Use front administrative entrance to enter when you arrive.

All volunteers must bring completed and signed forms with them to the Food Bank. The dress code at the Food Bank is casual and comfortable. No shorts and no tank tops are permitted. Closed toe shoes and long pants are required. Please leave all valuables in the trunk of your cars. No purses or backpacks. Please consider bringing a donation of non-perishable food items when you come to sort.

Volunteers Meeting

August 25th, 7:30pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Attending the bi-monthly volunteer meetings (on the fourth Wednesday of the month) is your ticket to the inside scoop of what's coming up -- Jews' Next Dor is planning its calendar of events for the next several months and we need you!

Jews' Next Dor is entirely volunteer run -- every event you have enjoyed before was made possible by someone like you stepping up and making it happen. Here's your chance to give back to the Jews' Next Dor community. If you want to plan a Shabbat Potluck, a Meet & Greet, or something that Jews' Next Dor has never done before, bring your ideas and your energy!

Meetings are open to all, and showing up is not committing to anything further. Volunteering with Jews' Next Dor is a rewarding experience. We encourage all Jewish 20 & 30 somethings to get involved with the Jews' Next Dor community!

Apples and Honey Cook-off: Recipe submission deadline

August 25th
Submit your recipes by mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org. This is the last date recipe submissions may be sent in!

Last Thursday Laser Tag

August 26th, 7:30pm-10:30pm
Laser Quest -- 1400 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA
Pick a codename, strap on a sensor pack, and get ready for action! We'll play 3 games, first game at 8pm. Cost is $9/game/person.

CBD BBQ & Barchu

August 27th, 6:00pm-9:00pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Join us for an outdoor Kosher BBQ followed by Shabbat services. A fun-filled event for the entire family! Cost: Adults and teens: $18; Children 6-12: $10; Children 5 and under: free. Family Maximum: $60. RSVP and get more details on the CBD web site.

Apples and Honey Cook-off

August 29th, 5:00pm-8:00pm
Private Home -- Cupertino, CA
Enter Jews' Next Dor's 3nd annual Apples and Honey Cook-off! RSVP for the address to jewsn...@beth-david.org. Be sure to read the rules in advance and carefully, to ensure your dish qualifies for judging. No competition would be complete without prizes, but you must enter to win. Of course, you're welcome to come wish your fellow Jews' Next Dor a sweet new year, without entering a dish, but please bring drinks (doesn't have to be apple and honey theme). Looking for inspiration? Check out past entrants on our Recipe exchange.

Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark

August 31st, 4:00pm-10:00pm
AT&T Park -- San Francisco, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor and hundreds of other Jewish Young Adults from across the bay as we head north to San Francisco for Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark. The SF Giants are playing the Colorado Rockies. Game time is 7:15pm, but pre-game activities start about 5pm with kosher hot dogs, klezmer music and dancing.

There are still a number of tickets left! Contact Sari Wisch at jewsn...@beth-david.org. as soon as possible to reserve yours!

Potluck Shabbat

September 3rd, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Cupertino, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for our monthly potluck Shabbat dinner! This event is at a private home in Cupertino, the address will be sent to RSVPed guests closer to the event. RSVP through the Facebook event or by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org. All dishes must be vegetarian/dairy. We look forward to seeing you!

Selichot Midnight Service @ CBD

September 4th, 11:00pm-1:00am
Congregation Beth-David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
On the Saturday night before Rosh Hashanah there is a midnight service, a kind of preview of the High Holy Day liturgy.

At Beth David, we lead up to midnight with a learning session to help us prepare for the High Holy Days, followed by an ice cream social. The quiet of the midnight hour provides us with a unique worship experience.

Tuesday Meet & Greet

September 7th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Layang Layang -- 1480 S. De Anza Blvd., San Jose, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for delicious Malay cuisine at Layang Layang of San Jose. Malay cuisine is influenced by Chinese, Indian, and Thai cuisine. We'll be enjoying delicious vegetarian/dairy entrees family-style.

The cost will be no more than $20; please bring cash, and singles are appreciated. RSVP to our Facebook event page or to jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Please note that, due to the High Holidays, this Meet & Greet is occurring on the TUESDAY before our regular Meet & Greet night; don't forget! We will resume the regular Wednesday Meet & Greet tradition in October.

Organized by Adrianna L.

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by dropping off your used inkjet cartridges in the Shul lobby, by the front door.

Visit Us