Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- September 7th, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Sep 8, 2010, 12:50:39 AM9/8/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

September 7th, 2010

Shanah Tova, Easy Fasting

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim! As Jews' Next Dor embarks on another year, let us reflect on the year we have just completed. We had a year full of amazing events. New members have joined the group. We have transitioned from a board of one, to a board of NINE officers and we now have a structure in place for programs, communications, and outreach.

As 5771 begins on Wednesday night, Erev Rosh Hashanah, I hope we will all think about where we have been, and where we are going. I truly hope this will be a year of growth, vision, new ideas and excellence for Jews' Next Dor.

I hope that the group will grow -- with more people attending events, people taking on responsibility to plan events, and others taking on leadership positions on the board. I hope all of us will envision the possibilities of what we can do: how we can grow and welcome new people in, how we can serve as role models for others in the community.

Please utilize myself, and the other officers as resources for your ideas, comments, questions and concerns. Jews' Next Dor is a fully volunteer-run and volunteer-led organization -- it would not exist without you.

I look forward to seeing you at: High Holiday services at Congregation Beth David in Saratoga, the community Young Adult Break-fast at the Kitchen Table and Hanging in the Hut -- our annual volunteer appreciation event and Toy Drive kick-off. We have many other events on the calendar. I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Shanah Tova u'Metuka, may this be a sweet year for you,
Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor, Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Introducing the Board: Phillip Chatoff, Historian

Shalom Jews' Next Dor,

My name is Phillip Chatoff and I am your newly appointed historian. You might notice me passing around a sign-in sheet at events or taking pictures. My job is to make sure the great memories we have at events are captured so we can look back at them in the years to come. If you'd like to see some of the amazing events we have had in the past years, come to the Hanging in the Hut event where we will have albums from previous years.

Jews' Next Dor is very important to me. I have been part of the group for over three and a half years now and will continue with the group for years to come. I consider many in the group to be some of my closest friends and have built lifelong friendships. I really enjoy planning events. One of the most memorable events I've planned was the Jews' Next Dor bowling event on May 19th 2007, where I met my fiance, Margarita Kudlov, for the first time (of course it took many other events to get us to where we are now). Being involved with this group has changed my life.

I highly recommend volunteering to plan or help out with events, you never know what it can lead to. I look forward to seeing you at future Jews' Next Dor events.

Shanah Tovah,
Phillip Chatoff

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar

"Immigrate" to Angel Island

September 12th, 10:45am-5:30pm
Bay Crossings Store at the San Francisco Ferry Building -- 1 Ferry Building San Francisco, CA
Cost: $16 (for ferry) + $7 (for museum, optional) [We may get a discount if we're at least 15 people]

Ferry: The Blue & Gold Ferry departs for Angel Island at 11:20am. Since we need to leave enough time for parking and buying tickets, we are meeting at 10:45am.

Hiking: Not more than 3 miles, with minimal elevation gain. Needless to say, there will be amazing views of the entire San Francisco Bay.

What to Bring: Hat, sunscreen, water, hiking shoes, snacks, and money for the ferry. You can either bring your own lunch or purchase food on the island.

South Bay Carpool: A carpool from the South Bay will meet in the Smart&Final Parking Lot - 141 East El Camino Real, Mountain View, CA (where 237 ends and Grant Rd begins) at 9:45am.

Parking: There are a variety of parking options within a few blocks. Validated Parking is available at the Washington Embarcadero Lot just across from the Ferry Building.

Young Adult Break-Fast

September 18th, 8:30pm-11:30pm
The Kitchen Table -- 142 Castro St., Mountain View, CA
Join dozens of other young adults to break the fast! A delicious meal with friends is a great way to begin the new year.

Cost: $10 online or $15 at the door. Register online.

Social Action: KQED Phone-Banking

September 19th, 7:00am-1:30pm
KQED -- 2601 Mariposa St., San Francisco, CA

Do you ever listen to NPR or watch PBS in the Bay Area? If so, you are benefiting from the services of KQED of San Francisco. Although both public radio and public television are in theory funded by the federal government, recent budget cuts have resulted in the primary source of financial support for these institutions coming from annual listener/viewer pledges. When a potential donor calls the station to make such a pledge,... they don't talk to paid staff, but rather volunteers. Those volunteers can (and should) be us.

So join Jews' Next Dor for a Sunday morning journey up to San Francisco to support these hallowed institutions of journalism and entertainment. We'll be carpooling from the Sunnyvale Caltrain Station, leaving at 7:00 AM sharp that morning (the shift is from 8:00 to 1:00 PM). Yes, it's early, but it's a great cause and you'll get to spend your morning speaking with people from all over the state who share a common passion for public broadcasting.

We need to give them an exact number of volunteers by one week prior to the event so, while RSVPing via Facebook is nice, please MAKE SURE you ALSO RSVP to jewsn...@beth-david.org before September 12 to guarantee yourself a spot.

Football Watching Party

September 20th, 5:00pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Jews' Next Dor is calling all armchair quarterbacks. Do you like watching NFL games on an HDTV? Would you like to watch these games with a group of people who will also be shouting at the professional athletes on the screen how they could have done better? Do you know nothing about football but would like to learn more about this bizarre ritual?

Then join us at a private home in Mountain View. You can RSVP on Facebook or by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org (please put "NFL" in the subject). Address will be sent to all attendees before the event.

Please bring a vegetarian or dairy snack to share. The hosts will provide beverages.

Board Games Night

September 26th, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA

We continue our regular night of games, games, games, oh my!

Come join Jews' Next Dor for a game night. Good games, good company, and good times are guaranteed -- winning or losing is up to you, your wits and your luck!

You are welcome to bring your favorite board game or three, or just show up and play what others have brought along.

This event is in a private home in Mountain View. You can RSVP on Facebook or to jewsn...@beth-david.org. Address will be sent to all attendees before the event.

Hanging in the Hut

September 27th, 7:00pm-10:00pm
Private Home -- Saratoga, CA
Come hang in the Sukkah (hut) with Jews' Next Dor! Eat and drink under the stars, shining on us through woven branches. In the program: free dinner, volunteer appreciation, superlatives awards and toy drive (please bring a new toy with you).

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by dropping off your used inkjet cartridges in the Shul lobby, by the front door.

Visit Us