Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- December 22nd, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Dec 22, 2010, 2:04:19 PM12/22/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

December 22nd, 2010

End of Year Edition

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim! Well, there are 9 days left in the year 2010! For me, time has flown. Jews' Next Dor has had quite a year. We have planned over 100 events, increased our membership and volunteer involvement, and formed a board. We have accomplished a lot this past year. I am very proud of our group and look forward to 2011 -- where we will have more events and continue to build our Young Adult Community.

As you know, Jews' Next Dor is a fully volunteer led organization. We rely on our volunteers to plan programs and events, and serve on our board. No idea is too big or too small -- so please share your ideas for events with us. I look forward to seeing them planned and be successful. All officers are here to help in any way we can, so please do not hesitate to ask us questions about Jews' Next Dor.

2011 is starting off splendidly with a host of events. Please join us for our amazing line-up!

We have our First Friday Shabbat Potluck. Join us as we ring in the new year with Shabbat! Reunite with friends new and old after the winter travel season. This Shabbat is being hosted at a private home in Mountain View. We look forward to seeing you.

And, per our tradition, our January Meet and Greet is at Bucca di Beppo in Palo Alto on Wednesday, January 12. Join us for this feast of pasta, garlic bread and many other delights as we enjoy a relaxing and delicious dinner.

Come one, come all to the Jews' Next Dor Talent Show and Fundraiser on Saturday, January 22 at 7:30 pm at Congregation Beth David in Saratoga. We are calling on all you singers, actors, dancers and others to share your talents with us. If you would like to perform in the show, or help us at the event with ticket sales, the concession stand, set up or clean up, please email JewsN...@beth-david.org with your act for the show, or how you would like to help. This event will be added to our calendar soon!

There are more events coming up, and many other happenings. We look forward to seeing you.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year to all.

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President Jews' Next Dor, Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Communications Corner

Greetings!

Now that board introductions are all done, it is time to turn this cozy little corner into a place where I can greet you, my fellow Jews' Next Dor members! I guess, this is the time to remind you that this is the time to share any feedback about this newsletter, or anything else Jews' Next Dor-related, with us. We would love to see what you have to say! E-mail us at JewsN...@beth-david.org. This is also the time to remind you that we are always looking for more writers on our Jews' Next Dor blog -- contact us if you're interested.

As the secular year draws to a close, you will see annual summaries all around you. I thought I would entertain you with the following tidbit: in the year of 2010, Jews' Next Dor organized or co-sponsored one hundred and eleven (111) events -- that's roughly an event every 3 days. I want you to stop reading for a second, and give yourself a round of applause, because this is all thanks to our wonderful volunteers, like you! If you were wondering why it felt like you were getting so many event invitations from me, well, now you know it was not just your imagination playing tricks on you.

I am spending the month of December with my family in Israel, away from Jews' Next Dor territory, and I often find myself wishing I could come to the events I create on facebook. Much like Judah Halevi, I am in the east, but my heart is in the west. See you all soon!

Moshe Zadka, Jews' Next Dor Communications Officer.

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar.

First Shabbat Potluck

January 7th, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for our monthly potluck Shabbat dinner! This event is at a private home in Mountain View and its address will be released closer to the event.

The host will provide challah, wine, the main dishes, and cutlery and plates. Please bring a vegetarian/dairy appetizer, side, dessert, and/or drink to share. If there is a particular thing you want to share with us, please do; if you aren't sure what to bring, please follow these suggestions to help us get an even distribution of courses:

If your last name begins with:
A-G, please bring a side/salad
H-M, please bring a dessert
N-R, please bring an appetizer
S-Z, please bring a drink
**Note: if the host contacts you about bringing a main dish, you do not also need to bring something else from this list.

If you have questions about this event, please email JewsN...@beth-david.org.

We look forward to seeing you!

Please note that the house has a cat in it -- if you are allergic, please plan accordingly.

Meet & Greet -- Bucca di Beppo

January 12th, 7:00pm-10:00pm
Bucca di Beppo -- 643 Emerson St., Palo Alto, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for what has become an annual tradition: January Meet & Greet at Buca di Beppo in Palo Alto.

The ultimate "family-style" restaurant, Buca di Beppo is looking forward to again serving us a hearty Italian vegetarian/dairy meal, and providing us a wonderful ambiance to schmooze with new friends and catch up with old ones. Come in from the cold to talk and laugh with peers from the South Bay's young adult Jewish community.

Please RSVP on the Facebook event or to JewsN...@beth-david.org, and remember to bring cash (especially singles) to cover the cost of no more than $20/person (more if you elect to order a drink). Afterwards, walk across the street to cleanse your palette with some frozen yogurt from Fraiche!

Organized by David H.

Jews' Next Dor Talent Show

January 22nd, 7:00pm-10:00pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Come one, come all to the first annual Talent & Show Benefit for Jews' Next Dor! We're putting on a night of creative showcase for the entire community on Saturday, January 22, 2011, and we need your help! Young adults will be performing their family friendly-music, dance, comedy, poetry, and more, all to help raise money for all the wonderful Jews' Next Dor programming we enjoy week to week. Do you have a talent that you're willing to share? Fill out this form to sign up to perform! Registration deadline is January 3rd.

Have a talent to share that's not of the performance variety? We want to display your art too! We are looking to display paintings, drawings, photos, jewelry, embroidery, or any other type of artistic work. The work will be displayed in the hallway on the way to and in the back of the performance hall. This is your chance to share your creativity with your friends. It is not required, but we request that you consider donating one of your works to Jews’ Next Dor. The money gained from the sale of your work will be used to support our great organization. If you are interested in displaying your artistic talents, fill out this form to sign up by January 3rd.

Don't worry if you are neither a performer nor an artist, there are still several other ways to be involved. Please contact us at JewsN...@beth-david.org for information on the other volunteers we need. But perhaps most importantly, we need you, your friends and family, in the audience! Get your tickets online -- for $8 in advance for ages 13+, $10 at the door. Ages 12 and under $5. Online tickets sales close January 20th. Come cheer on your fellow young adults and marvel at the myriad talent that has been surrounding you all this time.

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

After lunch (around 1:30pm) join the congregation for these Shabbos afternoon activities (about an hour long):

1st & 3rd Saturday: Rabbi Pressman and Rabbi Ohriner cordially invite you to join them for an informal opportunity to sing Shabbat table songs; learn new melodies; and explore their meaning, history, and beauty.

2nd Saturday: Book Group

4th Saturday: Laugh & Learn with Doug Brook

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by shopping through Shuk 2 Shul.

Visit Us