Jews' Next Dor Newsletter: August 3rd, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Aug 3, 2010, 9:31:15 PM8/3/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

August 3rd, 2010

Superlatively fun-packed: now with more superlatives!

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim. Time is flying and we are already in August! But, don't despair...we have an amazing line up of events and other happenings. First I want to thank our July volunteers who planned events, hosted, and helped continue the success of Jews' Next Dor: Aleeza A., Micki A., Talia A., Shelli C., Levi G., David K., Ben L., Aileen M., Jason P., Shelley T., Sari W. and Moshe Z.

Join Jews' Next Dor for:

Shabbat at Congregation Beth David on Friday, August 6. We are welcoming Rabbi Philip Ohriner and his family to our community. Rabbi Ohriner will be working with Jews' Next Dor. We are also welcoming back Rabbi Pressman from his sabbatical. RSVP here. The deadline is Thursday!

Our August pool party is being hosted by one of our members at a private home in Santa Clara. Please bring a vegetarian/dairy snack to share. See you at the pool on Sunday, August 8!

This month's Meet & Greet dinner. This month we will be enjoying Indian food at Mayuri Indian Cuisine in Santa Clara. Bring a friend to enjoy dinner with us! Please RSVP so we can ensure enough food for all.

Also, coming up is our annual Apples and Honey Cook-off! Show off your culinary talents with other Jews' Next Dor aspiring chefs. Your recipe must have apples or honey, or both...but it is up to you to prepare your creation! Join us on Sunday, August 29 to share the edible delights. RSVP to JewsN...@beth-david.org. You are welcome to serve as a spectator/judge as well. All recipes must be submitted by the 25th.

Join Jews' Next Dor as we head up to San Francisco for Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark on August 31! We will be at AT&T Park to watch the SF Giants play the Colorado Rockies, along with hundreds of Jewish young adults from across the bay. Please RSVP on the facebook event page, AND email JewsN...@beth-david.org. Ticket cost is $20, payable to Sari Wisch, JND President.

The High Holidays are just around the corner. Congregation Beth David is offering FREE High Holiday tickets for college students, military personnel and young adults ages 19 -33. Contact the CBD office at 408-257-3333 for more information.

Exercise your right to VOTE in the Jews' Next Dor superlative awards. Awards will be announced at our annual Hangin' In the Hut event on September 27 as we celebrate Sukkot.

Just so you know, Jews' Next Dor is strictly a volunteer-led organization and we look to you, our members and the community, to suggest and plan events that you want to attend. So, speak up! Our next volunteer meeting is on Wednesday, August 25 at 7:30pm at a private home in Mountain View. This is the place to be.

Jews' Next Dor welcomes all Jewish Young Adults in their 20's and 30's. I look forward to seeing you soon.

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor - Congregation Beth David's Young Adults Group

Introducing the Board: Programming Officer

Hi everyone,

My name is David Hoffert and I am pleased to be serving as your inaugural Programming Officer. My job is to ensure that Jews' Next Dor continues to offer a large quantity of high-quality events for all of you to attend and enjoy!

That said, it is NOT my job to plan all of those events. Jews' Next Dor has always been and continues to be a volunteer-led organization, and it is arguably our greatest strength. We make sure that we are offering events of interest to our constituency by having our constituency plan what they want and make it happen. My job is to assist those volunteers in an administrative sense and make sure everything goes smoothly, while also providing guidance about event-planning best practices, making sure we keep pace with our traditional event-offering frequency (about 70-80 events per year!), and collecting your feedback after events to make sure we are always meeting your needs.

Having moved to the Bay Area only two years ago, I got involved in Jews' Next Dor in January 2009, and was already planning events by that summer. Getting involved is easy and rewarding; planning an event can be a lot less stressful than you might think.

If you have an idea for a Jews' Next Dor event that you would like to see happen (or, better yet, make happen), I encourage you to get in contact with me via Facebook or e-mail (hoffer...@gmail.com).

Another great way to get involved is to attend our bi-monthly volunteer meetings (fourth Wednesday of even-numbered months, next one is August 25) to discuss your ideas and get set up to succeed! Here you can also help out by agreeing to host an event or help an event organizer in smaller ways, if you want to make a difference but aren't ready to commit to a full event at this time.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better and working with you soon.

David Hoffert

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar

Shabbat Supper @ CBD

August 6th, 6:30pm-9:30pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Dr., Saratoga, CA
Join us for Shabbat Supper as we welcome back Rabbi Pressman from his sabbatical and welcome Rabbi Ohriner to Congregation Beth David. This event is open to Beth David members as well as the rest of our local Jewish community.

Pool Party

August 8th, 2:30pm-6:30pm
Private home -- Santa Clara, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for our August pool party! Bring your swimsuits, towels and sunscreen and enjoy our beautiful weather.

Meet & Greet

August 11th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Mayuri Indian Cuisine -- 2230 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA
Jews' Next Dor Meet & Greet returns to one of our favorites, Mayuri, for great Indian cuisine. Please join us for a vegetarian meal and good company with your fellow JNDers. The cost will be $15 per person, covering family style dinner, a drink of your choice, tax and tip. RSVP to jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Second Harvest Food Sort

August 18th, 6:00pm-8:00pm
San Jose Distribution Center -- 750 Curtner Ave., San Jose, CA
Come join Jews' Next Dor at the Second Harvest San Jose Distribution Center.

DON'T BE LATE! Due to training and securing of our warehouse, we are sometimes unable to accommodate late arrivals as registration closes 20 minutes past the schedule sorting shift time. Use front administrative entrance to enter when you arrive.

All volunteers must bring completed and signed forms with them to the Food Bank. The dress code at the Food... Bank is casual and comfortable. No shorts and no tank tops are permitted. Closed toe shoes and long pants are required. Please leave all valuables in the trunk of your cars. No purses or backpacks. Please consider bringing a donation of non-perishable food items when you come to sort.

Volunteers Meeting

August 25th, 7:30pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Attending the bi-monthly Volunteer Meetings is your ticket to the inside scoop of what's coming up -- Jews' Next Dor is planning its calendar of events for the next several months and we need you!

Jews' Next Dor is entirely volunteer run -- every event you have enjoyed before was made possible by someone like you stepping up and making it happen. Attending the bi-monthly Volunteer Meetings (on the fourth Wednesday of the month) is your ticket to the inside scoop of what's coming up and your chance to give back to the Jews' Next Dor community. If you want to plan a Shabbat Potluck, a Meet & Greet, or something that Jews' Next Dor has never done before, bring your ideas and your energy!

Meetings are open to all, and showing up is not committing to anything further. Volunteering with Jews' Next Dor is a rewarding experience. We encourage all Jewish 20 & 30 somethings to get involved with the Jews' Next Dor community!

Last Thursday Laser Tag

August 26th, 7:30pm-10:30pm
Laser Quest -- 1400 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA
Pick a codename, strap on a sensor pack, and get ready for action! We'll play 3 games, first game at 8pm. Cost is $9/game/person.

CBD BBQ & Barchu

August 27th, 6:00pm-9:00pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
Join us for an outdoor Kosher BBQ followed by Shabbat services. A fun-filled event for the entire family! Cost: Adults and teens: $18; Children 6-12: $10; Children 5 and under: free. Family Maximum: $60. RSVP and get more details on the CBD web site.

Apples and Honey Cook-off

August 29th, 5:00pm-8:00pm
Private Home -- Cupertino, CA
Enter Jews' Next Dor's 3nd annual Apples and Honey Cook-off! RSVP for the address to jewsn...@beth-david.org. Be sure to the read the rules in advance and carefully, to ensure your dish qualifies for judging. No competition would be complete without prizes, but you must enter to win. Of course, you're welcome to come wish your fellow Jews' Next Dor a sweet new year, without entering a dish, but please bring drinks (doesn't have to be apple and honey theme). Looking for inspiration? Check out past entrants on our Recipe exchange.

Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark

August 31st, 4:00pm-10:00pm
AT&T Park -- San Francisco, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor and hundreds of other Jewish Young Adults from across the bay as we head north to San Francisco for Jewish Heritage Night at the Ballpark. The SF Giants are playing the Colorado Rockies. Game time is 7:15pm, but pre-game activities start about 5pm with kosher hot dogs, klezmer music and dancing.

There is still a small amount of tickets left! Contact Sari Wisch as soon as possible to reserve yours!

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by dropping off your used inkjet cartridges in the Shul lobby, by the front door.

Visit Us