Jews' Next Dor Newsletter -- October 20th, 2010

Moshe Zadka

Oct 21, 2010, 2:02:30 AM10/21/10
to cbd...@googlegroups.com

Jews' Next Dor Newsletter

October 20th, 2010

Winter is Coming

Message From the President

Shalom, Chaverim! So much is happening with Jews' Next Dor, that I don't even know where to begin. Halloween is almost here ...which means it is time to join us as we head to the Pumpkin Patch and to the movies! JND is headed to the Silicon Valley Jewish Film Festival for a double feature event.

I know this may seem crazy, but we are already planning "Light It Up!", the young adult community Hannukah party. We are very excited that the Hanukkah party is being held at Congregation Beth David! Mark your calendars for Saturday, December 4th and stay tuned for more details.

Also, we are still holding our Toy Drive for toys to be distributed by Jewish Family Services. Please bring new toys for children ages 0-17 to any Jews' Next Dor event over the next several weeks, or drop it off in the box in the lobby at Congregation Beth David. Jews' Next Dor and SVYAD are co-sponsoring this toy drive and we will be wrapping the gifts before Hanukkah on Monday, November 22 at the Los Gatos JCC. Your donations of toys are greatly appreciated. Please join us in this mitzvah! Further details are coming soon.

As you know, we are a fully volunteer-run and volunteer-led organization. Our General Volunteer Meeting is on Wednesday, October 27. This is the place to be this month! We are working on our calendar and planning out events for the next several months, and are seeking your ideas as to what we should host. We are also looking to you, our volunteers to share your ideas and plan our amazing events.

Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to ensure the success of Jews' Next Dor. I look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events.

B'shalom,

Sari Wisch, President
Jews' Next Dor -- Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group

Introducing the Board: Shelley Timmins, Vice-President

Shalom Y'all,

Waaay back in 2007 when I finished graduate school, it occurred to me that I couldn't keep hanging out at Hillel without starting to become somewhat creepy. I started shopping around for synagogues with good numbers of active, fun, young adults, and when I found Congregation Beth David in Saratoga, I knew my search was done. I've been a member at CBD since then and have really enjoyed my involvement in Jews' Next Dor.

I now volunteer as the Vice President of Jews' Next Dor, which means my main task is to liaise with each of our other volunteer officers and support them in their tasks. We try hard to make sure no one feels overburdened or left on their own when they are generously donating their time and efforts to the group. If you want to get involved but aren't sure how or what's needed, I can help you find a good fit and direct you to the right officer to help you out.

I'm also available for feedback from event owners, officers, concerned citizens, mercenaries, local law enforcement, captains of industry, merchants of Venice, and random strangers. Pretty much anybody who has an idea for how we could be doing things better, I'm here to hear them. We're pretty proud of our volunteers and the events we've put on but we're always looking to make improvements and get more ideas into the mix. So whether you'd like to be an officer, organize an event, or do something as simple as help us take photos at an event, there's something for you to do with Jews' Next Dor.

When you see me at an event, please say "hi", give me a high-five, buy me some ice cream, and compliment my eyes. Well, at least say "hi".

Shalom Y'all,

Shelley

Upcoming Events

You can see our upcoming events on our facebook group or on our google calendar.

Football Watching Party: Vikings @ Packers

October 24th, 5:00pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
The Jews' Next Dor are meeting for our "Bi-Monthly Fourth Sunday Sports" to watch the Minnesota Vikings vs. the Green Bay Packers.

Jews' Next Dor is calling all armchair quarterbacks. Do you like watching NFL games on an HDTV? Would you like to watch these games with a group of people who will also be shouting at the professional athletes on the screen how they could have done better? Do you know nothing about football but would like to learn more about this bizarre ritual?

Then join us at a private home in Mountain View. You can RSVP on Facebook or by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org (please put "NFL" in the subject). Address will be sent to all attendees before the event.

Please bring a vegetarian or dairy snack to share. The hosts will provide beverages.

Bi-Monthly Fourth Wednesday Volunteers Meeting

October 27th, 7:30pm-9:00pm
Private Home -- Mountain View, CA
Shalom Chaverim! Jews' Next Dor is planning its calendar of events for the next several months and we need you! Jews' Next Dor is entirely volunteer run; every event you have enjoyed before was made possible by someone like you stepping up and making it happen.

Attending the bi-monthly Volunteer Meetings (on the fourth Wednesday of the month) is your ticket to the inside scoop of what's coming up and your chance to give back to the Jews' Next Dor community. If you want to plan a Potluck Shabbat, a Meet & Greet, or something that Jews' Next Dor has never done before, bring your ideas and your energy!

Of course, meetings are open to all, and showing up is not committing to anything further. Volunteering with Jews' Next Dor is a rewarding experience. We encourage all Jewish 20 & 30 somethings to get involved with the Jews' Next Dor community!

Last Thursday Laser Tag

October 28th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Laser Quest -- 1400 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA
Do you miss G.I. Joe? Do you want to shoot other people with ineffectual lasers for minutes and minutes? Jews' Next Dor has the answer -- Laser Tag!

So pick a codename, strap on a sensor pack, and feel lucky, punk! We'll play 3 games, first game at 7:20pm (must arrive by 7:00pm to participate). Cost is $9/game/person at most (if you play 3 games, you might get a discount). If 7:00pm is too early for you, join us at 7:40pm for our second and third games only.

Organized by Ben L.

Pumpkin Patch

October 31st, 11:00am-4:00pm
Arata's Pumpkin Farm -- 185 Verde Rd., Half Moon Bay, CA
You haven't had this much fun since you were a kid! Pumpkin patch, hay maze, haunted barn, hay rides, petting zoo, and much, much more! Cost will vary depending on what activities you elect to partake in, but for most people should be under $15. It is possible to enjoy the pumpkin patch itself at absolutely no cost. What better way to spend Halloween day?

We will meet to carpool in the parking lot off of 3254 Casa De Campo, San Mateo (37.541537,-122.283127) at 11:00am. Arriving at the pumpkin patch by noon, we will have three hours of pure bliss before returning to San Mateo by 4:00pm. Please bring a dairy/vegetarian sack lunch.

For more information about what's in store, see http://www.aratapumpkinfarm.com/.

Organized by David H. and Naomi V.

Double Feature at the Silicon Valley Jewish Film Festival

October 31st, 5:00pm-7:30pm
Camera 12 Cinemas -- 201 S 2nd St., San Jose, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor at the Silicon Valley Jewish Film Festival for the hilarious comedy "Half a Ton of Bronze". For many years the bronze equestrian statue of Alexander Zaid, a Zionist Pioneer who founded the Hashomer defense organization, stood proudly in Beit Shearim National Park in Israel. In 2007, thieves toppled the statue, presumably to sell it for scrap. This hilarious comedic film, inspired by that incident, depicts the efforts of Zaid's grandson to recover the statue after it was stolen by Israeli Arabs and later sold to a sleazy Russian-born scrap metal dealer. Non-stop laughter!

The movie is 60 minutes long, though those interested can stay for the double feature, "Variation for Piano for Six Hands," which is 40 minutes long. Tickets are $13, payable to Amir C. at the beginning of the event. We will meet at 5:00pm in front of the theater.

Organized by Amir C.

First Shabbat Potluck

November 5th, 7:00pm-11:00pm
Private Home -- Sunnyvale, CA
Join Jews' Next Dor for our monthly potluck Shabbat dinner! This event is at a private home in Sunnyvale and its address will be released closer to the event.

The host will provide challah, wine, the main dishes, and cutlery and plates. Please bring a vegetarian/dairy appetizer, side, dessert, and/or drink to share. If there is a particular thing you want to share with us, please do; if you aren't sure what to bring, please follow these suggestions to help us get an even distribution of courses:

If your last name begins with:
A-G, please bring a side/salad
H-M, please bring a dessert
N-R, please bring an appetizer
S-Z, please bring a drink
**Note: if the host contacts you about bringing a main dish, you do NOT also need to bring something else from this list.

If you have questions about this event, please email JewsN...@beth-david.org.

We look forward to seeing you!

Kiddush Klub

Every Saturday, 9:30am-1pm
Congregation Beth David -- 19700 Prospect Rd., Saratoga, CA
The Kiddush Klub is an informal gathering of Jews' Next Dor on our home turf, Congregation Beth David, on Shabbat mornings. Some of us come for services, others just for lunch, we'd love for you to join us for either or both. Services begin at 9:30am, but you're welcome to stumble in anytime. Kiddush begins around noon (12pm). We will be near the back. Consider this an open invitation to join us, and CBD, any Saturday morning.

After lunch (around 1:30pm) join the congregation for these Shabbos afternoon activities (about an hour long):

1st & 3rd Saturday: Rabbi Pressman and Rabbi Ohriner cordially invite you to join them for an informal opportunity to sing Shabbat table songs; learn new melodies; and explore their meaning, history, and beauty.

2nd Saturday: Book Group

4th Saturday: Laugh & Learn with Doug Brook

Questions? jewsn...@beth-david.org.

Learn something new, or get more familiar with the service for the next Jews' Next Dor Shabbat.

Feedback

We want to hear from you! If we're doing a good job, let us know! And if you think we can do a better job, definitely let us know!

Event Survey | General Survey | E-mail us | Contact us

Volunteer

Jews' Next Dor is a 100% volunteer run group. Want to get involved? We need people to plan events, help with events, blog, host events, publicity, shop, come up with new ideas, and so much more. No time commitment is too small. If you want to help, let us know by e-mailing jewsn...@beth-david.org

About Jews' Next Dor

Jews' Next Dor ("Dor" means "generation" in Hebrew), Congregation Beth David's Young Adult Group (CBDYAG), is an active community of Jewish 20 and 30 somethings centered in the South Bay, CA. We enjoy multiple events a month including celebrating holidays, social action, educational and of course social events around the Bay Area.

About Congregation Beth David

Congregation Beth David is an egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Located in Saratoga, CA, Beth David encourages its members to be active participants in creating a vibrant Jewish community throughout Silicon Valley. Our size enables us to support a broad spectrum of programs and activities to enhance Jewish knowledge, practice, and commitment.

Support the Shul by shopping through Shuk 2 Shul.

Visit Us