Quercus dead?

j...@stsa.info

Dec 6, 2015, 12:24:35 PM12/6/15
to Quercus
Quercus was a good idea that never gained enough traction and had enough pesky incompatibilities (utf 8 was a pain) with php to not be a drop-in replacement. There were never many contributions from the community or even users because caucho has terrible websites and documentation.

If Quercus had gained traction early on and Caucho had managed to sell facebook on it, they'd have made tons of money and hip-hop would have never come about.

There are no releases mentioned on the quercus site since 2014. Now that PHP 7 is coming with 2x the speed of PHP 5, should Quercus be declared officially dead?

immanuel...@apparentmedia.de

Jan 5, 2016, 2:57:25 PM1/5/16
to Quercus, j...@stsa.info
I spent 3 months on making Quercus nearly a drop in replacement for PHP (being able to launch and debug PHPUnit tests via PhpStorm, for example):

Having a PHP executable as a .jar file has a lot of advantages. HHVM support for Windows might never come, and the JVM supports a lot of other dynamic languages, so a language agnostic future might be possible.

So I think there are good reasons around to keep Quercus alive.

Best,

Immanuel

Glynn

Jun 7, 2016, 9:09:36 AM6/7/16
to Quercus, j...@stsa.info
Hi, I was wondering how's you've gotten your quercus to work with phpstorm, Whenever I try to plug the jar in it just says not recognised. Sorry but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to quercus and can't find any documentation lying around.

Immanuel Scheerer

Jun 7, 2016, 9:16:34 AM6/7/16
to caucho-...@googlegroups.com
I use a wrapper Bash script, and I define that script as "PHP
executable" in PhpStorm:

#!/bin/bash
pushd `dirname $0` &> /dev/null
cd ../../WEB-INF/lib
libdir=`pwd`
separator=":"
cd ../../WEB-INF/classes
classesdir=`pwd`
if command -v cygpath &> /dev/null
then
libdir=`cygpath -w $libdir`
classesdir=`cygpath -w $classesdir`
separator=";"
fi
popd &> /dev/null
java -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Xmx2048m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true -cp
"$classesdir$separator$libdir"'/*' com.caucho.quercus.CliQuercus
-dmax_execution_time=0 $@
exit $?

You will need to adapt the script to your directory structure. And
unfortunately it does not work in all PhpStorm versions.

Best,

Immanuel