Re: [GSoC'21] Question regarding iOS Catrobat Language Support Task

Message has been deleted

Michael

Apr 6, 2021, 11:24:35 AM4/6/21
to catrobat
Hi Jason,

good question. Unfortunately there is no official specification for the serialized Catrobat Language version. The XML (which is contained in the .catrobat file) needs to be reverse-engineered from the main code repository (https://github.com/Catrobat/Catroid). Catroid uses XStream (https://x-stream.github.io/) to serialize their projects.

Also it help to download and inspect some of the projects on share.catrob.at.

Best,
Michael

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 4:59:56 PM UTC+2 Jason Ono wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Jason Ono, a sophomore majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics at Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, PA. I have experience with iOS development and have released an app on App Store: https://github.com/jason-ono/Recaptur

I’m interested in contributing to Catrobat, especially through the "Pocket Code for iOS: Support for Catrobat Language version 0.994 - 0.99992” task. To learn more about the specifics for writing a proposal, I’d appreciate it if you can share resources that help me understand the differences in language versions over the years.

I know this is a question that’s already been asked (by Vatsal Patel) a few weeks ago, but I could not find answers in the links shared in the response to the question by Aman, so any help that would help me understand this point would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Jason Ono

Jason Ono

Apr 7, 2021, 11:07:28 AM4/7/21
to catrobat
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I have been taking a look at different XML files in the forked Catty Xcode Project, as well as files in the "Parser & Serialization" folder in the main Catty project folder, and another question came up. Would you be able to share resources/software to inspect files with the .catrobat extension? I downloaded a project from Scratch, and I want to further look into its content. I have a Mac, so anything that runs on Mac and can inspect a .catrobat file would be great.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best,
Jason Ono

Michael

Apr 7, 2021, 11:11:29 AM4/7/21
to catrobat
Hi Jason,

try to extract it with "unzip".

Best,
Michael

Jason Ono

Apr 7, 2021, 11:48:38 AM4/7/21
to catrobat
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your prompt response. I tried googling about this for a while, but I somehow could not find it. Would you mind sharing the link for this tool? Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Jason

Michael

Apr 7, 2021, 12:15:22 PM4/7/21
to catrobat
"unzip" should be preinstalled on Mac OS. You can use the command using the Terminal. Alternatively, you can use any other zip archive utility, e.g., Archive Utility.

Best,
Michael

Jason Ono

Apr 8, 2021, 7:27:51 AM4/8/21
to catrobat
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't aware that this was something I could use from Terminal. Will give it a try!

Best,
Jason Ono