Cake "Short Skirt Long Jacket"

Cassie Carter

Jan 7, 2016, 11:16:07 PM1/7/16
to jimcarroll, catholi...@googlegroups.com
Cake's song "Short Skirt Long Jacket" hit my radar again this evening.  I bought the CD when Jim Carroll pointed it out to me as an analog to "I Want the Angel."

Obviously (duh!), when Jim brought it to my attention, I immediately bought the CD.  The album has become one of my favorites.

I of course investigated it at the time.  But over the past 9 years (or whatever) I have found no evidence that anyone other than that Jim Carroll thought it was connected.  When it fell into my lap again this evening, I again did a basic search and found nothing.

Today I put in a query on Cake's Facebook page.  I am not holding my breath.

For the record, from the first time I heard "Short Skirt Long Jacket" there has been no doubt in my mind that the song was ... shall we say ... "exactly the same" as "I Want the Angel."

What I'd like to know is ...

Is this a case of an artist consciously referencing Jim Carroll . . .

Or is it a case of an artist (Cake) independently doing exactly the same thing as "I Want the Angel"?

For now I choose to believe "Short Skirt" happened independently, just as "I Want the Angel" did.  But I am open to hearing otherwise.

xoxo

Cassie