WEIGHT -- Again

Cassie Carter

Dec 21, 2019, 9:28:02 PM12/21/19
to jimcarroll, catholi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma. I think I have not made myself clear.

I know there are a lot of artists on these lists. I appeal to you.

The object in question is a deflated mylar balloon. Jim probably received it for a birthday or something.

A mylar balloon is not art. The only thing that matters as far as the "art" is concerned is whether an artist decided to "do" something with it. The artist in this scenario is Jim Carroll.

Jim Carroll decided to do an "experiment" with the deflated mylar balloon. He used a sharpie to write "WEIGHT" on the deflated balloon, and he used the least amount of tape possible to attach the deflated balloon to the wall of his apartment.

The whole point of the thing was to see how long it would take to fall down.

Do you understand my problem?

I acquired this object when Jim moved out of his apartment in Chelsea. It had not yet fallen off the wall. He had zero interest in taking the experiment with him.

How do I preserve this thing?

Cassie