Button Stopped changing mode @ Mode 5 / Help / Master/B05

jimmy le

Aug 23, 2020, 3:18:55 PM8/23/20
to CatGenius
Hi,

i have been running master and also switching back and forth b05,
but all suddenly i can't change any mode at all. If I flash the new firmware it will default back to 0 modes, then I can change the mode cycling from 0 to 5, but after 5, its just stop there and won't cycle back or 6,7,8 or going back 5,4,3, it just stopped at mode 5
So basically it only allows you to press 5 times and that's it.
I switched back to master and b05 and both do exactly same.
One thing, I also notice something has changed is that after flashing the child lock light turned on, before it didn't do that (i did check reset in programming mode) also reset the flash device as well. So i have to hold both buttons to deactivated child lock.

I thought maybe something wrong with the button but if that is the case then it should not let me cycle from 0 to 5 then just stop.

Any idea?

Robert Deliën

Aug 24, 2020, 2:34:44 AM8/24/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Did you try the buttons with GenieDiag?

(Sent from a mobile device; Please excuse grammar, typos and brevity)

IR Tankless

Aug 24, 2020, 2:46:00 AM8/24/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Never thought of that but will try and report back but so fat pressing on any button wont do anything, its like dead silence no beep and led just stay at 5th mode (cat activate 1)
Pressing manual start samething. But if i reflash the firmware then set default to 0 then i can press up to 5 times in Setup and stuck there again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CatGenius" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catgenius/7EB01004-3034-4A73-B376-CB1AABA95DF4%40delien.nl.

jimmy le

Aug 24, 2020, 12:29:23 PM8/24/20
to CatGenius
from Benjamin
12:26 PM (2 minutes ago)

I'm having the same/similar problem with a stock box. If I bring up the diagnostics, I can only press the buttons 5 times before it gets stuck, so I cannot run the cleanup cycle.

So this isn't only me, something is going on!
We can only press buttons 5 times regardless of which firmware.

Benjamin

Aug 24, 2020, 2:35:21 PM8/24/20
to CatGenius
I figured my box was just dying, since I had never heard of anyone else having this problem. This started for me probably a month ago. Removing power to the box and re-powering it makes it respond again, but I can only press it 5 times before it becomes unresponsive. When it is responding, it is very slow. I have to press the button and wait a few seconds before it changes. Since the modes on the box is not lost when loosing power, I can get the box through all the correct activation modes by changing it until it freezes, taking the PU off, replacing it, then pressing the button again, repeating as needed. Unfortunately diagnostics are lost on powercycle so I can't get into the right diagnostic mode if I need to run a cleanup.
My box is on stock firmware. I have the cartridge genius hooked up. it has been hooked up for two years with no problem, and the problem remains with the cartridge genius unhooked. I cannot identify any changes to the box that coincided with the start of this problem.
I considered flashing a cat genius firmware to try to remediate the problem, however based on your problem it seems unlikely to work.

Geekm0nkey

Sep 3, 2020, 8:34:42 AM9/3/20
to CatGenius
Looks like today mine is suffering from something similar.. I noticed a cycle wasn't completing. So I flashed the diag, and can only get 3 mode changes when it seems to lock up.. When i flashed back to the b04 it won't change modes at all?

Geekm0nkey

Sep 3, 2020, 9:47:57 AM9/3/20
to CatGenius
Try this (not a fix) plug your cat genie to a surge protector with a switch.. Press the mode button while powering it off. Did the mode change as it was powering down? Mine did...  So to recap, mine while programmed with B04, starting today will only go to mode 6, then stop. Power on and off does not allow it to change, but pressing mode as it powers off it will change mode. Holding both buttons down while powering up, will reset to no mode.

Robert Deliën

Sep 3, 2020, 9:53:03 AM9/3/20
to <catgenius@googlegroups.com>
Did you program it whilst the box was not powered?

Geekm0nkey

Sep 3, 2020, 11:15:37 AM9/3/20
to CatGenius
I think i tried that.... But it wouldn't, seems as if the programmer turned off when the unit was off.

Robert Deliën

Sep 3, 2020, 3:59:37 PM9/3/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
> I think i tried that.... But it wouldn't, seems as if the programmer turned off when the unit was off.

You need to flash the firmware when the box is powered ON. If the box is powered off, it usually will flash, and it will even successfully validate, but it will exhibit inexplicable behaviour. We’ve established that a long time ago.

It’s a really weird problem; I would be inclined to say it’s a firmware bug, especially because you’re not the only one experiencing it, but this version is running on many boxes for many years already, and nobody has reported it. Did you flash the released binaries, or did you compile it from source yourself?

Has the firmware that is failing now, worked correctly before?

Geekm0nkey

Sep 3, 2020, 5:19:17 PM9/3/20
to CatGenius
I have never been able to flash while the unit was off. The file I flash was downloaded as is, has been working for quite a while (i keep these files on a particular machine should I ever need to flash the diag. and re-flash the firmware)

What I have noticed while playing with it today, is that the unit works.. despite the controls no longer responding.. (they are not defective, as double button reset, will make the buttons work again) until (in my case) you get to mode 6 where it stops.
so it's pretty strange. here is where the version of the firmware i'm using came from (the source location on the wiki goes to a 404 page)

IR Tankless

Sep 3, 2020, 5:21:13 PM9/3/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
I tried binary and compiled
B04,b05 and master
Still all same, only allow to press 5 times,

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 3, 2020, at 3:59 PM, Robert Deliën <rob...@delien.nl> wrote:

Robert Deliën

Sep 4, 2020, 3:01:50 AM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
You guys need to be more detailed. What got so far is that the mode stops changing after 5 or 6 six time for a few boxes, but I don’t even know at which mode it stops. Or if it stops at the same mode for different boxes. Or if key-beep still works for this bottom if mode no longer changes. Or if key-lock still works. Details, guys, I need details.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catgenius/9F3533A0-55AD-4511-97B2-AC90E4E23F59%40irtankless.com.

Geekm0nkey

Sep 4, 2020, 9:09:48 AM9/4/20
to CatGenius
Lets start from a 2 button reset.. Pressing both buttons while powering on will reset the unit (no led's) pressing the mode button, I can progress through the modes until i get to led1,led2 and cat lit (mode 6 per the wiki) once there, pressing the button does not produce a sound nor a mode change. In fact the start/pause button will also have become unresponsive. (will not start a process on a short or long press, and will not pause a process with a short or long press) As a side note, this seems to also effect the diag portion, when it is flashed, I can get only to led1 &  led2 lit, it will then also stop responding. Key lock does not work.

As mentioned before... If you press the mode button while powering down (timing is needed) it will change modes, when powering back up the new mode will be in effect. (and it will be locked out still) If you need any more details, simply ask.

And thank you for the support BTW.

IR Tankless

Sep 4, 2020, 10:29:32 AM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert
On my box, it stopped at mode 5 not 6,
And it's not key lock, it's basically can not press anything other than 2 buttons reset when power on.
Regarding about power down while pressing mode, I don't have successful able do that, sometime I heard the beep like loosen power when remove the plug with pressing mode multiple time but mode still same.

Also, if I stay on mode 1-4 I can press manually start button but as soon I hit to mode 5, then it's done.

I tried all firmware version, binary hex download or compiled myself.
I also do clear reset flash as well.
I tried holding 2 buttons to see if it's unlock but still nothing when it is dead to mode 5.

And yes, my box run the firmware for while before it happened,
And Robert: can you help me point out which line code and where I can hard mode or program the mode instead pressing button? Like a default mode when power on? I want to see if I can start default mode at 7 then power on cycle down to 8,9,1,2,3

I could not find where to overwrite the default mode,

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Robert Deliën <rob...@delien.nl> wrote:
>
> You guys need to be more detailed. What got so far is that the mode stops changing after 5 or 6 six time for a few boxes, but I don’t even know at which mode it stops. Or if it stops at the same mode for different boxes. Or if key-beep still works for this bottom if mode no longer changes. Or if key-lock still works. Details, guys, I need details.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CatGenius" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catgenius/17A81F69-38B9-4603-AA17-5045467FC38A%40delien.nl.

Robert Deliën

Sep 4, 2020, 1:25:45 PM9/4/20
to <catgenius@googlegroups.com>
> Lets start from a 2 button reset.. Pressing both buttons while powering on will reset the unit (no led's) pressing the mode button, I can progress through the modes until i get to led1,led2 and cat lit (mode 6 per the wiki)

That makes sense; When powering up with both buttons pressed, non-volatile memory contents are reset to the default settings. One of which is the current mode. Every time you select a different mode, this is committed to non-volatile memory, and restored upon power-up. That’s why just a power-cycle doesn’t work.

> once there, pressing the button does not produce a sound nor a mode change

Key-beeps should work regardless, so something is really stuck.

> In fact the start/pause button will also have become unresponsive. (will not start a process on a short or long press, and will not pause a process with a short or long press)

So it still detect cats, and it still washes, but when it does, the pause button is ignored? That makes it even weirder.

The button-inputs are polled in catgenie_work(), which is called from he control loop in main(). The state is compared against the previous states, and when different, a 50ms debounce timer is set.
At the end of catgenie_work(), this debounce timer is evaluated. If it has expired, we conclude that the button has stopped bounding. At this moment this timer is set to never timeout, and the pin state is used to generate either a button-down or button-up event, calling the appropriate function. From there process_button() is called and a single beep is written to the pacer controlling the beeper.
Since the box doesn’t respond to the button in any other way, I’m assuming things go wrong before the beeper pacer.

The only thing I can think of, is that somehow the CPU is reading jittering input on one of it’s button inputs. If this signal toggles every 50ms or faster, the debounce timer never expires and button presses never register. That still doesn’t explain why this occurs only after the 6th push, and I would expect that holding the offending button down would overrule that signal.

> As a side note, this seems to also effect the diag portion, when it is flashed, I can get only to led1 & led2 lit, it will then also stop responding.

After the same number of button presses?

> Key lock does not work.

GenieDiag doesn’t have key-lock (I think),

> As mentioned before... If you press the mode button while powering down (timing is needed) it will change modes, when powering back up the new mode will be in effect. (and it will be locked out still) If you need any more details, simply ask.

So when the power supply voltage starts dropping, there is a brief moment when the button works again. And it even seems to still have time to store the new mode. That’s remarkable. Can you measure the voltages on the button inputs? Both DC and AC (to detect jitter).

Robert Deliën

Sep 4, 2020, 1:32:08 PM9/4/20
to <catgenius@googlegroups.com>
On my box, it stopped at mode 5 not 6,

But for the rest all symptoms are the same?

And it's not key lock,

But can you still engage and disengage key lock? That was my question.

it's basically can not press anything other than 2 buttons reset when power on.
Regarding about power down while pressing mode, I don't have successful able do that, sometime I heard the beep like loosen power when remove the plug with pressing mode multiple time but mode still same.

Hm, but that’s a bit of a fringe symptom, so not having it does not prove you’re not experiencing the same problem.

Also, if I stay on mode 1-4 I can press manually start button but as soon I hit to mode 5, then it's done.

So the problem is the same, yet at a different mode.

I tried all firmware version, binary hex download or compiled myself.
I also do clear reset flash as well.
I tried holding 2 buttons to see if it's unlock but still nothing when it is dead to mode 5.

And yes, my box run the firmware for while before it happened,
And Robert: can you help me point out which line code and where I can hard mode or program the mode instead pressing button? Like a default mode when power on? I want to see if I can start default mode at 7 then power on cycle down to 8,9,1,2,3

If both buttons are down during power-up, the default mode is written to NVM:

I could not find where to overwrite the default mode,

It’s really not that hard to find...

IR Tankless

Sep 4, 2020, 1:44:53 PM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
The buttons becomes unresponsive regardless if box is running or not.
1) yet cat mode still flash as normal and led cat flash as normal
2) count down still work as normal
3) I have blue tooth debug on 24hrs so I can see what's going on
4) both button lock and unlock only work when you first reset nvram which somehow I think I got 5 times press allowance. Then yet lock and unlock work.
5) as soon 5 key pressed register which shows in debug mode 5, I'm done, nothing will register unless I clear nvram by both buttons during power on.

What trigger me, is that assume nvram sometime only allow 5 times button, which mean somehow it won't let recycle it.

I switch mode a lot because I have 3 cats, sometime I do time interval 24hrs and sometime cat activate mode 5 or mode 7 scoop only depending...

This never happen before again, and nothing changed other than I probably flashes diagnose firmware to manually unclog stuff and flash back (i do this quite often maybe 1,2 time in 4,5 months) for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Deliën

Sep 4, 2020, 2:41:58 PM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
The buttons becomes unresponsive regardless if box is running or not.
1) yet cat mode still flash as normal and led cat flash as normal

So when the buttons no longer respond, the cat LED is still responding?

2) count down still work as normal

So when the buttons no longer respond, the box will still wash when it’s time?

3) I have blue tooth debug on 24hrs so I can see what's going on

This will give us possibilities! Can you post a log?

4) both button lock and unlock only work when you first reset nvram which somehow I think I got 5 times press allowance. Then yet lock and unlock work.

This isn’t clear to me; Do lock and unlock still work when the buttons no longer respond, or not?

5) as soon 5 key pressed register which shows in debug mode 5, I'm done, nothing will register unless I clear nvram by both buttons during power on.

Ok.

What trigger me, is that assume nvram sometime only allow 5 times button, which mean somehow it won't let recycle it.

I don’t understand what you mean here.

I switch mode a lot because I have 3 cats, sometime I do time interval 24hrs and sometime cat activate mode 5 or mode 7 scoop only depending...

Ok.

This never happen before again, and nothing changed other than I probably flashes diagnose firmware to manually unclog stuff and flash back (i do this quite often maybe 1,2 time in 4,5 months) for cleaning.

Can you use the iotester (https://github.com/CatGenius/catgenius/tree/master/software/iotester) to test the button inputs? See below.

I have finished the I/O-Tester application. The .hex-file is attached and you and easily flash it into your board using the stand-alone PICkit 2 application that came with you programmer. I have tested it, but on a PIC16F1939, because I have replaced the PIC on my test box, just to see if that works. You PIC16F877A uses different instructions, so I have recompiled it for your PIC. I wasn't able to test the resulting binary but I feel confident it will work right away.

After you have programmed it into your box, connect it's serial port to a computer and used Putty or another good terminal emulator to get access to the integrated command line interpreter. Again, communication parameters are 115200 8 N 1. Local-echo should be off, as the integrated command line interpreter echoes anything you type per default. You may need to configure it to add a <CR> to every <LF> it receives, depending on your terminal emulator.

After you power up the box, the I/O-Tester application will present itself on your terminal:
*** I/O Tester ***
Brown-out reset
#
First it's name, then the reset diagnostics and finally the prompt. At the prompt you can type commands, up to 20 characters. After the 20th characters, nothing you type is echoed anymore, so you know you're at the end of the line. No command is that long anyway. On a good terminal emulator <BACKSPACE> is supported too.

To get a list of known commands, type the command 'help', or just a '?', naturally followed by <ENTER>:
# help
Known commands:
?
help
echo
gpio
Beyond this, no further help is built-in, due to memory restrictions. The command of interest to you is 'gpio'. Per default it dumps all register values related to GPIO pins:
# gpio
PORTA = 0x03, LATA = 0x00, TRISA = 0x13
PORTB = 0x33, LATB = 0x00, TRISB = 0xFB
PORTC = 0xD8, LATC = 0x00, TRISC = 0x98
PORTD = 0x01, LATD = 0x01, TRISD = 0x00
PORTE = 0x00, LATE = 0x00, TRISE = 0x08
Your version will not show the latch registers as above, because your processor doesn't have any.

The GPIO command also has a number of sub commands. It allow you to modify the state and direction of a pin. To change pin b5 to an input and read its state, use:
# gpio c5 input
Port C, pin 5 = 0
To change pin b5 to an output and set its state, use:
# gpio c5 set
Port C, pin 5 set
To change pin b5 to an output and set its state, use:
# gpio c5 clr
Port C, pin 5 cleared
Naturally, instead of c5 any other valid pin can be used. As you see, all these 3 commands report what they have done, so it's always clear if the command went wrong or the result is not what was expected.It will

To poll all port and report different states automatically, use:
# gpio log
PORTA = 0x03, LATA = 0x00, TRISA = 0x13
PORTB = 0x33, LATB = 0x00, TRISB = 0xFB
PORTC = 0xD8, LATC = 0x00, TRISC = 0x98
PORTD = 0x01, LATD = 0x01, TRISD = 0x00
PORTE = 0x00, LATE = 0x00, TRISE = 0x08
Press any key to exit logging
PORTB = 0x13
PORTB = 0x33
PORTB = 0x32
PORTB = 0x33
It will first dump the state of all registers, followed by an invitation to press a key to stop logging. After that, it will differences in input pins incrementally. In the example above it first reports a change of PORTB to 0x13 from the initial value of 0x33 in the dump above. This is the result of me pushing a button. The line below reporting PORTB to go back to 0x33 indicates I released the button. Please keep in mind that pins configured as output WILL show here too when shorted down. This is a know PIC shortcoming and the reason why more modern PICs have this LATCH register.

iotester_16F877A.hex

IR Tankless

Sep 4, 2020, 2:57:12 PM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
1) yes buttons unresponsive but cat led activate as normal and flash normal when cat detected in/out, also logs show as normal in/out in debug
Only when im in mode 5 to see led activate, but if mode 1-4 i can see in/out in debug bluetooth. Cat lights dont flash in mode timing only registered in debug to skipped or not skipped the cycle

2) Yes, everything work as normal notthing wrong, except im stuck at mode 5, and pressing anything doesnt do anything unless reset nvram and i have 5 times press allowance again.
Also in diagnosis firmware, all buttons doesnt register or press or making any noises when press

3) i can do a one routine with logs and also video record so you can see, im a tech nerd :)

4) when im reach at mode 5 which 5 key pressed, unlock/lock method do not work, as i said notthing work after 5 key pressed, only work when reset nvram then default to mode 0, then i can lock/unlock easily but if i Start press mode 5 times again, then everything unresponsive

5) iostest i can do this and report you back
You want me just do gpio log test and print out report?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 4, 2020, at 2:42 PM, Robert Deliën <rob...@delien.nl> wrote:

<iotester_16F877A.hex>

Robert Deliën

Sep 4, 2020, 5:22:35 PM9/4/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com

5) iostest i can do this and report you back

You want me just do gpio log test and print out report?

Yes, I have attached rebuild binaries, for both version CPU versions. Use the ‘gpio log’-command and wait some time. After that, start pressing the buttons in a random fashion and you should get output. But more importantly, after stopping to push, the output should also stop. However, if there’s jitter on the input, it will not stop.

iotester.production.16F877A.HEX
iotester.production.16F1939.hex

hie...@iavtechnology.com

Sep 6, 2020, 10:18:49 PM9/6/20
to CatGenius
seem like when i flashed the io, i see
*** I/O Tester ***
Brown-out reset
#

but it doesnt response my command, im using bluetooth series
115200 bits/s, 8 data bits, no parity and 1 stop bit

It doesnt response or accept any command, im using a terminal emulator on my mac, doesnt have problem with GenieDiag command tho,.
Is the iotest only work in series port cable ?

lib...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2021, 9:43:17 PM12/25/21
to CatGenius
I have 2 boxes that are also doing this. They have been flashed and functional for a long time. I have Bluetooth on both of them. I noticed it looked like everyone having issues does as well. Could that be causing an issue somehow? Was there ever a solution found?

In my case it gets stuck in 5, but if I hold both buttons down on power up, not down like others have said, it resets to the default and works until I get to mode 5. If I use diagnostics mode it gets stuck with the first 2 lights on, in a similar fashion. I was fully convinced my panels were dying since these boxes are getting older. Thankfully, I was perusing this group, seen this post, and tested them both.

Robert Deliën

Jan 12, 2022, 8:19:18 AM1/12/22
to catg...@googlegroups.com
> i have been running master and also switching back and forth b05,

Stick with B05:
If you want to use master, you'll have to compile it yourself, and for that you'll need the Pro version of the compiler. The Hi-Tech PICC compiler take offense of the (controlled) recursion it thinks it's detecting in handling events. The MicroChip compile may be doing better, but I don't have the Pro version of that one, and I don't want to invest in that.

> but all suddenly i can't change any mode at all. If I flash the new firmware it will default back to 0
> modes, then I can change the mode cycling from 0 to 5, but after 5, its just stop there and won't
> cycle back or 6,7,8 or going back 5,4,3, it just stopped at mode 5
> So basically it only allows you to press 5 times and that's it.

We're cycling through the modes here:
It's very basic. Upon a short-press of the setup button, the current mode stored in auto_mode is incremented by 1, unless it is the highest value allowed (AUTO_DETECTED), in which case it is reset to the lowest value allowed (AUTO_MANUAL).
Perhaps your box is somehow in error mode after selecting mode 5, putting the panel in error-mode, making it display the current error number, and ignore short-presses on the setup button.

> I have 2 boxes that are also doing this. They have been flashed and functional for a long time. I have
> Bluetooth on both of them. I noticed it looked like everyone having issues does as well. Could that
> be causing an issue somehow? Was there ever a solution found?

I'm not aware of many others reporting this problem.

> In my case it gets stuck in 5, but if I hold both buttons down on power up, not down like others
> have said, it resets to the default and works until I get to mode 5.

Holding down both buttons upon power-up causes software to reinitialize the non-volatile memory:
This should also unlock the keyboard.

> If I use diagnostics mode it gets stuck with the first 2 lights on, in a similar fashion. I was fully
> convinced my panels were dying since these boxes are getting older. Thankfully, I was perusing
> this group, seen this post, and tested them both.

Do you mean 'running GenieDiag', by 'diagnostics mode'?

ozcanc...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2022, 7:43:45 PM1/13/22
to CatGenius
Hi
This issue has happened to me before. At first the problem with catgenie was that the keys did not allow to pass the probem. The original had its own software installed. i was canceling with arduino for cartridge. but then the program transitions slowed down with auto setup. Each press passed at intervals of 3 seconds. In the original software, it was possible to switch between 1 and 4 in the service menu, but when I pressed the auto setup button again after 4, I saw that 1 and 4 flashed the same, but instead of going to the other test, it jumped one by one and only lit 1 again. this was really annoying and i finally disassembled the motherboard and control panel. I checked all the parts one by one. During the measurements, I noticed that I found a short circuit in the 11 rows of ribbon coupling that transmits from the motherboard to the control panel. That's what I said. carbon had short-circuited each other. someone at the control panel. the other is in the region that enters the motherboard from elsewhere. I canceled the part that goes to the auto setup button. I rewired. I put 1-0 puton. It took a lot of work but I did it. The other problem was that the carbon in the line going to the cat light was short-circuited, but it wasn't disconnected. I scraped the short-circuited place with a utility knife. survived the short circuit. so there were 2 short circuits in total. I have eliminated.
        This is the catgenie I have, a product used for 6 years. and my sister. He has 4 incisions at home. And you guessed it, 4 cats use this toilet. For this reason, the cat toilet is very difficult. eventually broke down.
      My sister lives in a different city from me. I wanted the brain too. currently in shipping. It will come to me in 2 days.
     When the brain comes to me, I take pictures of the previous repairs.
    it is not discharged now. The shovel is waiting in the basin in the water. I know what the problem is. When I receive the cargo, I will share this repair with you.
   There are absolutely no errors in the program. The fault is either mechanical or electronic component wear due to long-term use.