My CAT Genie replacement board

toyga

Apr 27, 2018, 12:32:23 PM4/27/18
to CatGenius
Hallo all,

Half a year ago my wife decided that we need 2 cats.
After going through the internet for several days i found the CATGenie. So i bought the first one.
The problem was, that one of these two guys always wanted to make his business while the cleaning was running. No problem, i bought a second one.
You think my problem was solved ? - No. As i run the CATGenies in sensor mode (because of smell), it happens, both units cleaning and one of theses guys made the business just in front of the toilet.

As it is not possible to syncronise CATGenie's i decided to make my own control.

The most important for me was:
  • new board replaces the original one
  • synchronice 2 or more CATGenies
  • integration into my smarthome control
  • hot water for cleaning
  • Using my own admixture to reduce smell

Design of the controll board:
  • Arduino with WIFI (Genuino MKR1000)
  • EEPROM for WEB-Page and cleaning programs (both can be uploaded)
  • Real time clock (without power running for at least 1 day)
  • Hardware watchdog
  • RS485 Interface for syncronisation

This is how the board looks like

Change settings with firefox broser

Integration into smarthome (MQTT)

Cleaning with hot water

The CATGenie manual says cleaning is only allowed with cold water (and there are no spezifiations for tubes, water valve available)
So i replaced all components (vater valve, internal and external tubes) with components spezified for at least 65°C. I need 45°C to activate my admixture.

If somebody is interested, i can share Eagle files, partlist and the Arduino software (but only for private usage !!!).
I think it is not fair to make competition to the supplier of the CATGenie.
In this case it would be best to create a github project.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4
Auto Generated Inline Image 5
Auto Generated Inline Image 6
Auto Generated Inline Image 7
Auto Generated Inline Image 8

Dan Bell

Apr 27, 2018, 5:08:23 PM4/27/18
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Toyga,
Wow! Absolutely beautiful work. Your plumbing alone speaks volumes to your veracity and attention to detail. Thank you for sharing.

I’ve been meaning to share my custom setup with the community (for the last two years) but now it pales in comparison.
Perhaps in a few months when people have begun to forget how elegant your solution is, I’ll share mine.

Cheers,
Dan

On Apr 27, 2018, at 9:32 AM, toyga <siegi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1.jpeg>

Change settings with firefox broser

<Auto Generated Inline Image 2.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 3.jpeg> <Auto Generated Inline Image 4.jpeg> <Auto Generated Inline Image 5.jpeg>

Integration into smarthome (MQTT)

<Auto Generated Inline Image 6.jpeg>

Cleaning with hot water

The CATGenie manual says cleaning is only allowed with cold water (and there are no spezifiations for tubes, water valve available)
So i replaced all components (vater valve, internal and external tubes) with components spezified for at least 65°C. I need 45°C to activate my admixture.
<Auto Generated Inline Image 7.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 8.jpeg>

If somebody is interested, i can share Eagle files, partlist and the Arduino software (but only for private usage !!!).
I think it is not fair to make competition to the supplier of the CATGenie.
In this case it would be best to create a github project.

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 2.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 3.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 4.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 5.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 6.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 7.jpeg><Auto Generated Inline Image 8.jpeg>

Robert Deliën

Apr 28, 2018, 4:43:02 AM4/28/18
to <catgenius@googlegroups.com>
Dan,

Would you mind sending me your modifications? Preferably as patches, but zipping up your entire tree will work for me too: I will diff out the patches myself then.

Thanks.

Dan Bell

Apr 28, 2018, 2:52:18 PM4/28/18
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing. It may take a week or so. My computers are all boxed up as I’m moving to a new house this week.

Also due to the fact that I have a Raspberry Pi managing my CatGenie, I’ll have to spend some time stripping those changes out as well.

Thanks again for not only creating CatGenius, but also for all your hard work in documenting all the aspects of the CatGenie.

CraigY

Apr 29, 2018, 7:17:38 AM4/29/18
to CatGenius
Hello Toyga, I love you setup and wouldn't mind trying to build one or two to replace the controller in mine.  If you don't mind sending me your project I appreciate it. What is your mixture, I would like to try something else to get rid of the smell as well our two new cats smell like you can't believe and they eat the same food as our other cats do.

Thanks so much
Craig

toyga

Apr 30, 2018, 10:11:50 AM4/30/18
to CatGenius
@Craig, @MindBender

Hi,

I have created a github project.

https://github.com/s-simma/MyCATControl

You can download all files from there.
If something is missing or you have any questions, please let me know.

regards
siegi

Robert Deliën

May 2, 2018, 3:27:49 AM5/2/18
to catg...@googlegroups.com
> I have created a github project.
> https://github.com/s-simma/MyCATControl
> You can download all files from there.

Great; looking good! I couldn't find any gerber files, but OSH Park seems to accept Eagle .brd files just fine, so I have order a set.

$218 for 3 boards, that's not cheap. Anybody interested in the other 2 boards? Please note: These are empty circuit boards. You will need to populate them with components yourself.

toyga

May 3, 2018, 11:14:27 AM5/3/18
to CatGenius
I didn't create gerber files, because most of the pcb suppliers take the .brd files from eagle.
I took them from eurocircuit.com. The price for 5 pices (with Ni/Au finished) was € 244. The high price is because of the 4 layers.
And it does not change from 1 to 5.

James Klaas

May 3, 2018, 11:18:16 AM5/3/18
to CatGenius
I would definitely be interested in a board if they're less than $100 (which these look to be).

I live in the US (Michigan).

Greg Moeller

May 14, 2018, 2:21:08 PM5/14/18
to CatGenius
I'd be interested as well in a board, I'm in Canada.
Has anyone priced out all the parts?

toyga

May 15, 2018, 3:57:02 AM5/15/18
to CatGenius
"MyPartlist.pdf" in the board folder gives you a rought idea about prices.

Henrik Wils

Jun 8, 2018, 9:17:50 PM6/8/18
to CatGenius
I have the exact same problem and been thinking of the same thing, but honestly I might not have the skill to do it as well as you have done.

We have 3 cats, and it appear that some of them are very indecisive which one they want to use, so usually they start BOTH catgenies for every time they have used it. It would be great with a better way to determine, 1. was it actually used (increase the tolerance on the sensor), 2. was it number 1 or number 2 (could probably be done with a CO2 sensor of sorts), and choose different programs.

I also hooked my two catgenies up to hot water, and it's actually quite hot here. Close to 70 degrees C. The included water hoses do fail at this temperature, and so did similar ones I bought locally, so I went for pex type hoses instead, the ones normally used for faucets. We do have a LOT of lime in our water, and using hot water helps a lot, not just to reduce lime, and the durability of the water sensor, but also cleaning.

I would love to have a board as well. Preferably fitted, if possible because the last board I tried to make with SMD components, didn't go too well and I'm not THAT skilled in soldering.

toyga

Jun 9, 2018, 5:22:44 AM6/9/18
to CatGenius
@Henrik Wils

It is as you say. They try to find the toilet that fits best.
While they are playing, they jump into the toiletts (without using it)
To decide if cleaning is necessary - at this time - i use a time window (to determine how long they have been inside - based on motion sensor).
It works not bad.

But i am thinking to add additionally a PIR-Sensor above the motion sensor. Of course during the granulate is warm this PIR sensor has to be disabled - time delay after drying.
(an input for the following sensor is already available on the board - but not tested)
https://www.digikey.at/products/de?keywords=amn31112

Phil Gillam

Sep 12, 2018, 1:33:15 AM9/12/18
to CatGenius
Hi @toyga,

It is superb work and I like the arduino because a power failure or abrupt power off can corrupt the Pi memory card and prevent booting.
I have priced the boards out of China for around $35/40USD a board with immersion Au finish, white silkscreen and blue soldermask (no components included) and I would probably get a min quantity of 5 boards made up.

@toyga I am just unclear about some of the changes for the 110v components. Can you clarify the substitutions please.

@MindBender did you get your boards from OSH Park?

Robert Deliën

Sep 12, 2018, 3:44:43 AM9/12/18
to <catgenius@googlegroups.com>
> @MindBender did you get your boards from OSH Park?

Yes, at about double your price. And they’re still on my desk, unpopulated…

Phil Gillam

Sep 12, 2018, 10:21:17 AM9/12/18
to CatGenius
That's what I'm afraid will happen to mine. The cost to have the boards assembled and tested was not cheap, even in China.
FWIW I am dealing with pcbway in China.

toyga

Sep 13, 2018, 2:27:07 PM9/13/18
to CatGenius
I have an original  US (110V) controller board here:

Bowl Capacitor (C103) = MKP-X2 2uF/275VAC
Scopper Capacitor (C102) = MKP-X2 220nF/275VAC
Dosage pump Capacitor (C101) = MKP-X2 330nF/275VAC
These capacitors are independent of the controller board (only depend on the motor type and supply voltage)
For me the 275VAC is very low for these motors. > 300V would be better.

F1 depends on the heater power. If the heater has the same power in the US version you need a 16A fuse (min 12A slow)

Regarding the board itself (for 110V supply):
R1 should be about 160V
R60, R61 should be about 6,1kOhm / 1W / 250V

And don't forget to check the connectors. At least on the US board i have here some connectors are different to the EU version of the CATGenie.

toyga

Sep 13, 2018, 2:38:25 PM9/13/18
to CatGenius
up's i forgot the R100
On the US board it is 430Ohm / 3W / 300V

Phil Gillam

Sep 18, 2018, 3:09:24 PM9/18/18
to CatGenius
@Toyga, thanks for your clarification, I will order the parts and the board and see what happens - give me a few months anyway

Marco Salinardi

Jul 21, 2022, 10:29:28 AM7/21/22
to CatGenius
Hey i know this is quite old but would you mind to share even on private the schematics and board file of eagle? I would like tu use a different board instead of mkr1000. I would like to use esp8266 to beeter integrate with my home assistant environment.