Re: [catgenius] Digest for catgenius@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Jay Walczak

Sep 15, 2020, 3:02:27 AM9/15/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I am evacuated for the wild fires here in Oregon. Assuming my house doesn't burn I'll answer some of these questions next week.

Jay

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, 9:16 PM <catg...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"Robert Deliën" <rob...@delien.nl>: Sep 13 05:05PM

> Do you know if the hash counting solution is storing on board chip or on cloud?

I doubt hashing is off-loaded to the cloud; That would make the box inoperable during an Internet outage.

> If on cloud we can try to intercept it.

I don’t think the algorithm is exchanged, except perhaps during a firmware update.

> I'm not an engineer of any kind so I"m not sure if I can help but I do have 2 cat Genie AI's that I"ve been running hard for almost a year if anyone has any questions.

Interesting...

> When you first set up the cat box you use bluetooth connect to your box then you use the app enter the wifi password to connect the cat box to your wifi. After that I'm pretty sure everything is wifi directly to the cat box. When I check my bluetooth connections the cat boxes aren't even showing up in my list of devices.

That makes sense.
Did you boxes receive a firmware update already? If so, does this involve connecting via Bluetooth again, or does the box update autonomously via Wifi?

> Yes the cleaning count is kept on the web. In fact I can see exactly how many cleaning left on each cat box anytime anywhere through the app.

I’m sure the counter on the cartridge is sent to the cloud, if for nothing else: for convenience of the user of showing it on the app.

> It also sends me alerts of what is wrong via alerts on my phone whether it be a dirty light guide, drainage issue, low water, solution out etc. Sometimes it alerts 50+ times an hour so there is a glitch there, I had to kill the sound on it because it wouldn't stop alerting me about the same error over and over again.

So it’s not tested. Or not very well, at least...

> I can also remotely start the cat box cleaning from my app but I haven't found a good use for that.

Yeah, that reminds me of the tray-open (and -close) button the remote of CD-players...

> I have both AI's on cat activation to get double the cleanings per cartridge but otherwise I would use their scheduling program to make sure they never ran at the same time.

That would be an easy feature to implement in the could. I’m surprised that they haven’t.

> The cleaning cycle seems about the same as the 120 but Robert you were mentioning damp air recycling. Do you need me to time the drying cycle or any other parts of the cycle?

Well, the system isn’t fully closed, so saturated hot air escapes and is replaced by non-saturated environment air. So it will eventually dry, but I seriously doubt if it’s going to be that more energy efficient.
How long does a drying cycle approximately take?

> My favorite part of the AI is they reduced the power consumption so I can run 2 AI boxes on a 15 amp circuit without tripping the breaker. I cannot run a 120 and AI on the same circuit without tripping the breaker. The app does not alert of power outages btw.

Another reason for a feature preventing to run two boxes simultaneously.
Do you have the impression that AI is used to identify which cat is using the box, and perhaps what it is doing?

Robert Deliën

Sep 15, 2020, 3:36:29 AM9/15/20
to catg...@googlegroups.com
> I am evacuated for the wild fires here in Oregon. Assuming my house doesn't burn I'll answer some of these questions next week.

Best of luck to you and your family, Jay!