solar arch

Christine Kinkead

Mar 31, 2022, 10:14:30 PM3/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
can a Catalina 355 handle a solar arch/davits
christine

Sent from my iPhone

David Mills

Apr 1, 2022, 6:41:29 AM4/1/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I have Kato davits and mounted my own 160 watt solar panel on top. Piece of cake to do, although the reinforcing sternrail rods were a bit tricky to secure to the swim platform (tight space).

I have the Island model davits. There is a picture of a 355 with these davits installed on the Kato website.

Dave Mills
Island Time II
Hull 56

> On Mar 31, 2022, at 10:14 PM, Christine Kinkead <flyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> can a Catalina 355 handle a solar arch/davits
> christine
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en
>
> If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/A21B896B-DE8A-4AA5-A999-84C63C321458%40gmail.com.

ken magida

Apr 1, 2022, 5:20:23 PM4/1/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I installed Garhauer davits several years ago. Until last year I had a 2-stroke 22# outboard on an inflatable with an airfloor which I replaced last season with a 4-stroke 50# outboard. I keep the motor on the dinghy, and I estimate the total weight of everything suspended on the davits does not exceed 125#. I have not experienced conditions so severe that I felt that there was too much weight on the davits.
I also installed 2-100 watt solar panels on the davits and plan to install an additional panel this season. The two panels are now mounted across the boat and by turning the panels and adding the third panel will not increase the width of the installation.
I disconnected the factory-installed stern light and replaced it with a new light mounted on the cross-member between the davit arms which is much higher and I believe more visible- although I do not generally sail at night.
The one maintenance item I suggest is check the fasteners every season to ascertain that they have not worked loose.
I am attaching some photos.
The first two are when initially installed and without the solar panels.
The third is with the original outboard and two solar panels.
The fourth is with the original outboard and no solar panels.
The fifth was taken at the end of last summer with the new outboard and 2 solar panels.
Overall I am very happy with the installation.

Ken

Ken Magida
23B Norwood Road
Port Washington, New York 11050

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fforum%2Fcatalina355%3Fhl%3Den&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C23c91b235a96438a21d708da13cc2ec3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637844064918742474%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=wkClKIP4dfQNSq64MNYz3XWwkjDXcMOaxOyjusaop4U%3D&amp;reserved=0

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
davits.2.jpg
davits.jpg
solar panels.jpg
daivts w dinghy.JPG