Catalina Factory Linear Drive Installation Issues

Jeffrey Hare

Mar 28, 2022, 10:32:33 AM3/28/22
to Catalina355
Hello,

I'm posting this for reference.

Background:
The Raymarine linear drive Ram moves the bronze tiller arm that's clamped and bolted to the rudder post.  Edson makes that tiller arm that clamps to the rudder post.  In my conversations with Edson over the years, they are adamant that the ram connect between the slots in the tiller arm, not above or below.   Raymarine supplies a tiller arm bolt that is designed to attach the RAM outside the slot.  So there's that battle going on.

I've installed or consulted on quite a few Raymarine Linear drive installations since 2014.  I have always used the Raymarine bolt which attaches outside the slot, but never would I consider doing that without properly reinforcing the slot.  I noticed the Catalina Factory installation of the linear drive goes against Edson's recommendations and does not install a protective bushing.

Here's what I discovered when making some corrections to the factory installation to restore some of the excessively restricted turning radius.

The Slot was not reinforced causing the tiller arm to bend.
TillerBend1.jpg
TillerBend2.jpg

This resulted in both the slot deforming and bending the RAM bolt.

TillerBentBolt.jpg

If the bolt were bent more than that I would have replaced it, however, I straightened the bolt gently using a vice, some shims, and a couple of nuts threaded to key positions.  I could tighten the vice gently and ease it back straight.  The nuts prevent thread damage and control where the bend occurs.
TillerBentBolt2.jpg
TillerBentBolt3.jpg

To unbend the tiller slot, I used a large bolt through the attachment hole with two nuts inside the slot.  Using a wrench to separate the nuts, I could ease the slot back into shape and the bushing would just barely fit.

TillerBend3.jpg

In my installations, I've milled a bronze bushing from 1" Bronze prop shaft that fits tightly into the slot.  The bolt can now be torqued down without compromising either the bolt or the tiller arm slot.
TillerBushing1.jpg
TillerBushing2.jpg
TillerBushing3.jpg
TillerBushing4.jpg

Maybe I'll alert the Factory, but they haven't responded to any of my questions lately.
It wouldn't hurt to inspect your own installations at some point.

-Jeff Hare
#17 Solstice