Fresh Water Pump Stops Working

Dean Vermeire

Aug 10, 2022, 3:40:43 PM8/10/22
to Catalina355
Hi All,

I have an issue on our 2013 C 355 where the fresh water pump just quits working.  If I turn off the breaker, leave it off for a few minutes, and then switch it back on the pump works again.  It is not tripping the breaker.

I cleaned out the strainer and replaced the galley faucet handheld, which had some build up.  However, the problem still remains.  The pump is not cycling on and off at all and there is no sign of a leak anywhere.  I had a really thorough survey done a year ago, with no issues.

I have inspected the wiring and connections, which all look good.  I don't think there is an electrical problem outside of the pump itself.

I'm thinking my next move is to replace the pump.

Any thoughts?

Dean Vermeire
S/V Encore (2013 C-355 #83)

Zach Smith

Aug 10, 2022, 3:53:38 PM8/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Feel the pump and see if it is getting hot.  I've had a situation where the pressure switch gets stuck partially on, and sends enough current through the motor to heat it up, but not to move it.  If that's the case it's either replace or possibly get a rebuild kit for the pump head.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/5d4f1a05-13f9-439e-9fd0-00043fc92bc6n%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Maksimchuk

Aug 10, 2022, 4:19:56 PM8/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Check the voltage to the pump using a multimeter before you replace anything.

Dean Vermeire

Aug 10, 2022, 4:33:20 PM8/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Zach, that's pretty much what I am thinking.

Mike, I did that.  Thanks for checking.  Solid electrical supply.  This even happens while sitting in the slip with shore power and charger/inverter in full working order.  No loss in voltage to the pump.

Thanks to both of you.

The original pump, a Jabsco VFlo 5.0, model 42755-0092, has been discontinued.  So, I'll need to adjust some hoses and mounting holes with a new pump.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/470CFFA5-9F13-4926-8A78-E051ED6C92AD%40mtu.edu.

bill pittore

Aug 10, 2022, 4:45:12 PM8/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
A symptom that I had was that the pump continued to run after use albeit very slowly. You could almost not hear it but it was running. It would then overheat and shutdown until it cooled off. I replaced it with a non-variable Jabsco pump with an accumulator. So far it’s ok. A bit louder though.

Bill

ken magida

Aug 10, 2022, 7:52:20 PM8/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I added an accumulator which makes the whole system more civilized. Periodically I also have issues and just go around make certain all of the Connections are tight. Infrequently I find a loose quick connect fitting and tighten or replace it as needed and it solves the problem.

Ken
Sent from my iPhone
An allegedly smart device