raw water pump leaking

bill pittore

Aug 30, 2022, 6:12:50 PM8/30/22
to Catalina355
Hi everyone,
 It appears that my raw water pump is leaking most likely from the shaft seals. Haven't had a chance to look while the motor is running but after running there's a small puddle in that location and the underside of the bracket is wet and salty. My question is has anyone rebuilt their pump and if so did you buy the Major Rebuild Kit or did you just replace the o-rings and seals?

Thanks,
Bill
Navasana #77

Marvin Isgur

Aug 30, 2022, 10:39:18 PM8/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The pump is easy to replace.  It comes in a single unit with its bracket.  You simply remove the bolts and the new unit fits snuggly in place.  Just get the right sized small open ended wrench.  You can’t access some of the bolts with a standard socket set.

It took less than an hour.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2022, at 5:18 PM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/b70e9a17-fc32-4059-b11a-2c14198b9dabn%40googlegroups.com.

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 9:29:53 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping to avoid having to buy the whole unit. Price seems to be somewhere north of $350. Hopefully just replacing the seals will fix it but I don’t know how hard it will be to do that.

Thanks,
Bill

Jon Vez

Aug 31, 2022, 9:32:01 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Replacing the seals is easy. Did it twice on my 320. I would go that route first and also consider replacing the cover plate…

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 31, 2022, at 9:29 AM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was hoping to avoid having to buy the whole unit. Price seems to be somewhere north of $350. Hopefully just replacing the seals will fix it but I don’t know how hard it will be to do that.

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 9:45:31 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jon for the info. It looks like there is a ‘lip seal’ as well as an O-ring, 15 and 19 in the diagram. I’ll take your advice and replace the cover as well.

Bill

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/12255594-FA1B-4543-B240-AE927A72CD17%40comcast.net.

Jeff Hare

Aug 31, 2022, 9:50:04 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I rebuilt the raw water pump on a 3GM in the past that had developed a slow drip.

It generally worked but mostly by the time the seals start to go, there is wear on the cover and in the housing from grit/sand. This affects the pump's ability to create a vacuum and reduces flow volume.  The kits aren't super cheap either.

I ended up putting in a new pump and the water volume pumped was significantly increased.

So.. I never bother with a rebuild anymore, just install a new one and consider it a wear item, much like the exhaust elbow.

Jeff Hare

Jon Vez

Aug 31, 2022, 10:12:31 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Correct Bill. There is actually lip seals as I recall. Simple press fit but I counted the outer seal with Lanacote. The face plate is definitely something that should be replaced every few years as the grooves become more pronounced…

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 31, 2022, at 9:45 AM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Jon for the info. It looks like there is a ‘lip seal’ as well as an O-ring, 15 and 19 in the diagram. I’ll take your advice and replace the cover as well.
Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 9.40.36 AM.png

Ken Kloeber

Aug 31, 2022, 10:34:01 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Be sure to inspect for shaft wear at the seal locations.

If you’re uncertain about wear on the pump  chamber, shaft, etc., Depco can inspect and rebuild raw water pumps to “new” condition.

Ken K

On Aug 31, 2022, at 10:13 AM, Jeff Hare <Cata...@thehares.com> wrote:

I rebuilt the raw water pump on a 3GM in the past that had developed a slow drip.

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 11:03:37 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointer to Depco.

The engine has about 700 hours on it. Seems like the pump should last longer than that but it’s a boat, something’s got to break.

Bill

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 11:11:05 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,
 That’s what I’m trying to decide, repair or replace. Replace is like a half hour job but rebuilding the seals is probably more involved and it may not help.

Bill

Ken Kloeber

Aug 31, 2022, 11:44:50 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Ted Strand
In Fla.

You can also check w/ Cardinal Pump - they handle Oberdorfers (on our Universals) but I’m not sure if they do Johnsons.

Justin Ballieu
(314) 628-0100
In Mo.

700 is not unreasonable, there’s variables as to the life of seals (like a piece of grit getting to one) which is why it’s possible that the shaft will sometimes get scored.

If there’s wear on the impeller cover that can sometimes be fixed rather than replace. It all depends - remove/carefully inspect all then decide the best way to proceed.

Ken

On Aug 31, 2022, at 11:03 AM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the pointer to Depco.

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 11:54:45 AM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ken for the resources. It looks like I’ll need to carefully inspect it before deciding the best course of action.

Bill

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 12:06:43 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Is the pump on the 3YM30 a Johnson pump?

Bill

Ken Kloeber

Aug 31, 2022, 1:34:31 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Many Ys have Johnson.  It looks like one but I don’t know for sure. Ted might know.

It could be a proprietary pump, mfgr’d by Johnson but owned by Yanmar.  That’s how the Sherwood G908 on some Universals is - it’s owned by Westerbeke and can’t buy it except thru a Wb dealer.

Ken K

On Aug 31, 2022, at 12:06 PM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is the pump on the 3YM30 a Johnson pump?

Dhyanesh Kostka

Aug 31, 2022, 2:00:57 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi
It's a Johnson pump. I changed the hole pump one week ago. I bought it by an Netherlands Web Shop. They speak English and ship worldwide.
It was roundabout 290 Euro. Maybe it's worth to write a mail

Jeff Hare

Aug 31, 2022, 4:00:50 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The one on Solstice appears to be. It seems to be identical to the one on our 3GM, but bolted on a different bracket so that the plate faces out.

The pump itself is reversible so it'll pump water either direction based on the direction the pulley turns.

I'll check tomorrow, but it's on our winter list like the exhaust elbow assembly.

Jeff Hare

Ps: bill are you going back to Boston for the winter?

bill pittore

Aug 31, 2022, 4:16:42 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The pump name was behind a stick on label and it is indeed a Johnson pump. I ordered the O-ring and lip seal for about $50 so I’ll see if that fixes it. If not I’ll just get a new pump.
I did sign up to store the boat at BHSM again this winter.  I’ve barely been home to Lexington this summer as the weather has been unbelievably great up in Portland. Except for a couple of rainy days, we have not seen any fog at all. Of course the other side of the coin is that everyone is going through a drought.

Bill

Jon Vez

Aug 31, 2022, 4:50:06 PM8/31/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that it is indeed a Johnson…the sticker is in the wrong spot!

Sent from my iPad