Musty Air in Aft Cabin

Sam Paul

Jun 29, 2012, 10:49:21 AM6/29/12
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Only when I close the aft cabin door and run the air conditioner, I get a musty smell.  It does not smell coming from the a/c vents in the rest of the boat, but as soon as I close the door, the aft cabin begins to develop an odor.  Any thoughts?

Michael Ryan

Jun 29, 2012, 11:12:20 AM6/29/12
to catal...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

Check the aft corner, port side of the mattress in the aft cabin to see if it is wet.  We had a problem at first with the condensation tray under the AC unit not draining properly.  It would overflow and the mattress would get wet.  The fix was fairly easy.  The drain line for the condensation tray was run slightly uphill and needed to be shortened.

Mike

Hull #1

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.

No virus found in this message.

Brad Sclar

Jul 4, 2012, 5:24:17 PM7/4/12
to catal...@googlegroups.com

We put in AC pan tablets (as suggested by our dealer) which are nontoxic biodegradable noncorrosive for this problem: in fact, Carolyn has reminded me that I need to do it for July.  It has worked extremely well so far.

Thanks! - Brad

Claudia Allison

Sep 19, 2022, 11:04:26 PM9/19/22
to Catalina355
HI All,

Musty odor in starboard stern berth only as well.  Confirmed only few drops of water in the pan, not enough to have pan tablet dissolve.
1) cleaned AC filter (water rinse) and improved significantly!
2) added Damprid to the stern bedroom continued minor improvement
3) in searching for the source, found AC hoses torn and will replace...does not appear anything special however if group has improvement thoughts would be great to learn.  they look easy to tear, especially when stowing fenders, etc into the lazerettes
4)  where does the AC pan drain into?  from the bedroom, reached into the far right corner, which appears to be the drain?  Considering using a diluted bilge cleaner to flush the line
5) as continue the hunt, there is damp odor in both the port and starboard stern lazarettes, curious what others do to keep odors abated here?

Thanks for your thoughts to keep her like new :)
Claudia
SV Salvation #152

355_AC potential drain.heic
355_AC unit.heic