Fender line length for C 355/Location of control head for autopilot

alls...@hotmail.com

Nov 10, 2021, 2:33:46 PM11/10/21
to Catalina355
I have a 355 on order and with so many boat items on back order want stay ahead of the game by ordering early.
Anchor rode and dock lines fairly easy to calculate and confirm by checking order history with Defender for my old C 350. But I cut my own fender lines to accommodate a preference for extra length and a larger diameter than that what you get off the shelf.
So looking to confirm the approximate distance between the safety line and waterline on the 355 to facilitate cutting the fender lines to the proper length.

The other question/concern I have is the location of the control head for the autopilot or SailPilot as Raymarine calls it.
The boats and pictures I have seen usually have it on the starboard side coming.
I did see it at the helm on a new 355 at the last Annapolis Boat Show.
My primary reason, among other reasons, to locate it at the helm, is the need to change course in an emergency situation, using the autopilot and wheel, almost simultaneously. I know you can control with the MFD but are you always going to want to or have that function on all the time. That said, I know their are pros and cons on both sides.
So I would appreciate any feedback on this issue.
THX,
Allen Barnes

Marvin Isgur

Nov 10, 2021, 3:22:43 PM11/10/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
In an emergency, the MFD is too slow when you are turning off the auto pilot.  I would definitely recommend using the autopilot head.  That said, my equipment is 11 years old now and the new MFD may be improved

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/3342fa3a-c8b3-4dd6-aba0-f76daf2576dan%40googlegroups.com.

Juan Galan

Nov 10, 2021, 3:25:51 PM11/10/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
MINE IS #147, 2019 AND I FIND IT VERY EASY TO USE MFD OR STBD AUTOPILOT PANEL.
I THINK YOU'D HAVE TO GIVE UP ENGINE CONTROLS IN ORDER TO LOCATE AP PANEL AT HELM - I WOULD NOT DO IT!

Zach Smith

Nov 10, 2021, 4:36:02 PM11/10/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
If u have the option to get the autopilot at the helm, go for it. Mine is on the stbd coaming and it can be a minor hassle when on port tack and you are sitting on the high side. Would prefer it to be in the middle.

Dan Gilch

Nov 12, 2021, 8:00:37 AM11/12/21
to Catalina355
FWIW #144 came with Chart Plotter, auto pilot and bow thruster control all on one navpod at the helm. For me all this on the navpod was too large and blocked the view. Moved AP to Port side, bow thruster to the pedestal, and replaced navpod with smaller one to fit the axiom 9.  No issue for me to control the AP from the chart plotter most of the time.  Works well for me.