12V power at the helm

Evan DeLucia

Jun 17, 2021, 12:14:46 PM6/17/21
to Catalina355
I use Navionics and Predict Wind on my ipad a lot. To power my ipad, I use a large external battery - not very convenient. I'd like to install a weather proof usb port on the pedestal. Has anyone tackled this? Where to locate and which wires to tap? Cheers, Evan

Zach Smith

Jun 17, 2021, 12:31:15 PM6/17/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a 12v cigarette style lighter plug at the helm? Ive got #142 and it has one. Just plug a usb car adapter in there and take it off when not in use. If it corrodes, easy to replace.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/bee00090-d8c6-49fb-8e8f-67e01208386cn%40googlegroups.com.

bill pittore

Jun 19, 2021, 8:10:33 PM6/19/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I have one of these: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3789735  but haven’t installed it yet. Looking inside the pedestal it looks like I can mount it on the left side on the sloping part under where the ignition key is. I was thinking of feeding it off the chart plotter power as that’s on a separate circuit from the engine instruments (which run off the starter battery in any case).

Bill

On Jun 17, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Evan DeLucia <deluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I use Navionics and Predict Wind on my ipad a lot. To power my ipad, I use a large external battery - not very convenient. I'd like to install a weather proof usb port on the pedestal. Has anyone tackled this? Where to locate and which wires to tap? Cheers, Evan

Phil Kling

May 16, 2022, 8:19:08 AM5/16/22
to Catalina355
Have you installed the 12v outlet yet.  What did you use to cut the hole.

Phil k
Perfect Day
Hull 5

bill pittore

May 16, 2022, 9:04:37 AM5/16/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,
 I installed a Scanstrut SC-USB-02 dual charger port on the port side of the pedestal. I used a standard 1 1/8” hole saw to drill into the aluminum. I used some duct tape on the inside to catch any aluminum chips from the drilling. I tapped into the chart plotter circuit. The chart plotter only draws 9 watts or less than 1 amp and the charger draws 4.2 A max. The circuit has a 10A breaker.

Bill

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.

Ken Kloeber

May 16, 2022, 2:15:12 PM5/16/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The output is 4.5a max (@5v) so it’s only about 2a draw @ 12v (adding in some inefficiency.)   Very slick outside unit.  Thx for that info!!

Ken K

Sent from my pad

On May 16, 2022, at 9:04 AM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Phil,

bill pittore

May 16, 2022, 3:59:21 PM5/16/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
You’re right, that’s the output current. Here’s a couple of pics of the install.

Bill

Jeff Hare

May 16, 2022, 8:36:31 PM5/16/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I plan to install a dual USB Quick Charge 3.0 outlet shortly.  I'll use the bilge blower supply as the feed.

My plan is to install it facing the cockpit table so that it can have multiple uses.  I may also put in a 12v outlet as well.

Jeff Hare

Warwick Daw

May 16, 2022, 9:26:25 PM5/16/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the pretty useless white light on the forward face of the pedestal with a dual USB outlet

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 May 2022, at 10:36, Jeff Hare <Cata...@thehares.com> wrote:

I plan to install a dual USB Quick Charge 3.0 outlet shortly.  I'll use the bilge blower supply as the feed.

Phil Kling

May 17, 2022, 6:37:53 PM5/17/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Any effect on the compass?