Wing Keel Dimensions

Michael

Jul 17, 2020, 9:41:35 PM7/17/20
to Catalina355
Hi new member here.  I've been sailing out of Knife River Marina on the north shore of Lake Superior since 2015 and decided to take a step up from my Sirius 28.

I have an accepted offer on Hull #50.  Survey and haul out is scheduled for Monday.  I'm driving down to Florida this weekend.

Does anyone have some dimensions of their 355 handy?  The transport company I have hired to move her is sending a boat down next week and they are trying to decide which of their trailers to use so they can bring her back.

1. Width of Wing Keel at it's widest point.
2. Mast Length (51' according to the broker)
3. Boat height from keel to highest point. (Broker measured 6'3" from water to highest part of bow pulpit, plus 4' 6" draft so approximately 10'9")

I do have this forward profile picture when it was hauled last and with the milk crate I can make some educated guesses, but if someone has theirs measured and could give me a sanity check, I would appreciate it.

-Michael

image.png

John Salley (same as before)

Jul 18, 2020, 6:20:50 AM7/18/20
to Catalina355
Hi Michael - and welcome! I suggest you call the factory in Largo, Florida - they ship every boat they build out on a truck, so undoubtedly can give you the relevant dimensions. Go to catalinayachts.com for the number - they’re great people, and have always been helpful to me.

John Salley
C355 #20

Michael

Aug 4, 2020, 1:14:45 PM8/4/20
to Catalina355
In case anyone comes across this post in the future, this is what we ended up with for measurements:

Wing keel was 3' 2" at it's widest point.
Mast bundle was 48' 3" with antenna, anchor light removed.
Boat was around 11' 3" at it's highest point (the hand rail above the wheel)

I attached a few photos of how she was setup for the move.

-Michael

2020-07-28 10.22.41.jpg2020-07-28 10.22.29.jpg2020-07-28 10.22.35.jpg

Darrell Haskell

Aug 4, 2020, 4:44:35 PM8/4/20
to Catalina355
Yikes.  I'd be on pins and needles.  Looks very well supported though.  And much lower than I've seen other boats on semis...

Good luck!
Darrell

Michael

Aug 4, 2020, 5:17:52 PM8/4/20
to Catalina355
I was nervous too, but she arrived safely last week after a 1400 mile journey.  Already in the water with her rig up.

-Michael

Bob Story

Oct 21, 2021, 9:33:03 AM10/21/21
to Catalina355
Hi Michael - good info ... I am about to truck our boat 1400 miles. The trailer like yours is cushioned. We have covered the mast in a similar manner to yours. Did you do anything special to your prop (ours is a 3 blade feathering)? I know on the water when sailing it is to be left in neutral, does the same apply to trucking? Or did you do something else to prevent it spinning? Other than the obvious did you do any special packing inside the boat to mitigate the road vibration?

-Bob.

Michael

Oct 21, 2021, 10:49:40 AM10/21/21
to Catalina355
My cutlass bearing needed to be replaced before the trip, so I didn't worry too much about the prop and I didn't have any issues with leaving it on.  (I replaced the cutlass bearing when I got her home.)  The safest thing would be to remove the prop as it would also keep folks from running off with it.  Inside I taped all the doors and drawers shut with riggers / stucco tape that doesn't leave adhesive residue.  I emptied the water and holding tanks.  I can't think of anything else I would have done differently.  I hired a rigger to assist with dropping the mast and helping to store the boom on deck and such.  He did a really good job with padding and  tapping and labeling parts.  Worth every penny when it came to put it back together.

-Michael
S/V Agneta #50

Bob Story

Oct 21, 2021, 12:19:38 PM10/21/21
to Catalina355
Thanks Michael. Good hint about the stucco tape. Being in a cold clime I am very used to getting the mast down and stripped or stored on deck when going through the Erie Canal. Last time my prop was off it was a lot of work to get it back to the original pitch so am reluctant to do that.

-Bob.
Finnish Line 2.0 #90