Radar Mast Step Penetration

Jonathan Salter

Apr 30, 2022, 11:55:00 AM4/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I’m getting ready to install a radar. I was planning to put it on the mast, but realized it may be tricky to get the wires into the boat through the mast step.

I had the mast off my boat last year but didn’t take any pictures of the step itself (dumb). Anyone have any pictures of this without the mast, or an example of how they’ve run wires on a radar install?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Jon Vez

Apr 30, 2022, 1:54:31 PM4/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Here are some photos of the Mast Step from when the boat was being commissioned…
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Jonathan Salter

Apr 30, 2022, 2:00:48 PM4/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Jon, you are a wizard!

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2022, at 10:54 AM, Jon Vez <jonve...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here are some photos of the Mast Step from when the boat was being commissioned…
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en
>
> If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/34508A06-8AFC-4444-A3DF-CEE9C050F163%40gmail.com.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

bill pittore

Apr 30, 2022, 3:27:01 PM4/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Wow! I’m more amazed now that I was able to get a fish tape through that small hole and fish two wires down the compression post. Getting the fish tape down the post was probably the hardest part of the whole install. I had even put in a messenger line the first time I fished the tape down the post. The second time I tried to run a wire I thought easy peasy, I have a messenger line but I couldn’t get the wire through the step. What I ended up doing was to send the fish tape with the end looped back on itself down the post where eventually it made it through the bottom plate and I could see it by looking from the bilge into the exit hole where all the wires come out. I then took another small fish tape with a hook and hooked the first one and was able (with my wife up top pushing lightly) to get the tape through into the bilge. I then attached the wire and was able to pull it up the post. It was fairly easy to then pull the wire up the mast through the conduit at the front of the mast with the messenger line. Still needed someone down at the base to feed the wire into the bottom end of the conduit. If you want more details than this let me know.

Bill

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en
>>
>> If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.

Jonathan Salter

Apr 30, 2022, 4:28:06 PM4/30/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bill,

I believe I have a messenger going all the way down, but I have to check. I know if starts up the mast, but not sure of it terminates at the mast step or below.

It’s funny, as with most projects, I thought this would be easy. Now I’m reminded that every boat project is an adventure. I did get the Wi-Fi Raymarine, so I’m only planning to run a power cable. Hopefully that’s easy enough.

Thanks again everyone

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2022, at 12:27 PM, bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wow! I’m more amazed now that I was able to get a fish tape through that small hole and fish two wires down the compression post. Getting the fish tape down the post was probably the hardest part of the whole install. I had even put in a messenger line the first time I fished the tape down the post. The second time I tried to run a wire I thought easy peasy, I have a messenger line but I couldn’t get the wire through the step. What I ended up doing was to send the fish tape with the end looped back on itself down the post where eventually it made it through the bottom plate and I could see it by looking from the bilge into the exit hole where all the wires come out. I then took another small fish tape with a hook and hooked the first one and was able (with my wife up top pushing lightly) to get the tape through into the bilge. I then attached the wire and was able to pull it up the post. It was fairly easy to then pull the wire up the mast through the conduit at the front of the mast with the messenger line. Still needed someone down at the base to feed the wire into the bottom end of the conduit. If you want more details than this let me know.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/57166909-5A9F-4409-8039-3A046A24B9DD%40gmail.com.

Evan DeLucia

Sep 23, 2022, 4:27:00 PM9/23/22
to Catalina355
OK, so what I''m not getting is how do you feed a snake through the bung surrounding the wires with the mast up?

bill pittore

Juan Galan

Sep 23, 2022, 8:49:55 PM9/23/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Another choice that I have seen is a rear pole off stern with a gimbeled mount. Less issues with installation & does not force jib to rub against radar mount.