Re: [Catalina 355:4656] Digest for catalina355@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

David Everett

Aug 17, 2022, 6:41:43 PM8/17/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
If you search for "elbow" you'll find several other similar stories, including mine (elbow blockage > strangled engine).
I now have my elbow taken off and inspected every 2nd year, and replaced every 4th year.
David (#62)

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 7:40 AM <catal...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mike Maksimchuk <mtma...@mtu.edu>: Aug 16 07:12PM -0700

Hello everyone:

I wanted to share a recent event that happened on our 355, hull #94,
"Amadeus". Some of you may recognize the name of the boat - we inherited
it from my father-in-law, Dave Worfel, after he passed away in August of
2021.

My wife, three-year-old, and myself were starting to cross Lake Michigan
(66 miles across). We were about 22 miles offshore when we heard a loud
"thud" and the RPM's on the engine dropped by about 1,000. We quickly
opened up the hatch to go down below to find a billowing cloud coming up
from the cabin, which was filled. We did a cursory inspection to
determine that nothing was on fire, and then starting sailing home. It was
6 foot waves and 25 knot winds - and we had to tack back and forth, since
"home" was directly into the wind. Luckily, some friends came out and
helped tow us in. Our trip across the lake is normally about 8-9 hours.
We were on the water for 15 hours from leaving the slip until tied back up.
Our son was a trooper and did his best to help.

After getting towed in and tied up, we tore open the hatches and access
panels in the woodwork around the engine (aft cabin and under the steps).
We determined that it was a faulty mixing elbow on the engine - the nipple
that attaches this elbow to the engine had sheared right off! Attached
are pictures of the problem. After talking with people on the dock,
several people have had this happen to them on different boats. I would
recommend taking a good look at yours - especially those of you who sail in
salt water - and make sure that yours isn't corroding!

bill pittore <bill.p...@gmail.com>: Aug 16 10:57PM -0400

Hi Mike,
That certainly sounds like stressful day on the water. FYI, I recently changed out my elbow with a stainless one from HDIMarine. https://hdimarine.net/product/gm-stainless-steel-mixing-elbow/ <https://hdimarine.net/product/gm-stainless-steel-mixing-elbow/>

Bill

<cata...@thehares.com>: Aug 17 12:03PM -0400

Mike,

Roughly how many hours are on your engine?

-Jeff

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com <mailto:catal...@googlegroups.com> . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com <mailto:catalina355...@googlegroups.com> . For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com <mailto:catal...@googlegroups.com> , rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/31b1f7d1-da2e-409d-bd22-fbc9cba55681n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/31b1f7d1-da2e-409d-bd22-fbc9cba55681n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .