rapid zinc loss?

bill pittore

Feb 26, 2022, 10:42:40 AM2/26/22
to Catalina355
So speaking of rapid zinc loss, I was wondering if I have this situation or if this amount of zinc loss is 'normal'. Here's a pic of a new zinc and the old zinc. The old zinc was in the water 4 months. I checked out the zinc protection on the boat using the test electrode and the numbers were well within the normal range. I tested with various combinations of shore power connections as well as no connections. I'm probably going to use a temporary zinc that I place overboard when at the dock to hopefully lower the deterioration of the prop zinc.

Bill
IMG_7784.jpg

Jon Vez

Feb 26, 2022, 11:52:49 AM2/26/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
So many variables Bill. I used a test electrode weekly and would measure the weight of the Zinc (new vs used) when I replaced. I used the weight to confirm that my Anode tester was in spec. I replaced when it was about 40% by weight depleted…
I do know that some seasons our harbor has more salinity than others which also contributes to Zinc wear…

Sent from my iPad

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/340c3b32-ac8c-4c4d-a03b-be3408b8a239n%40googlegroups.com.

STEWART SMITH

Feb 27, 2022, 12:16:48 PM2/27/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, bill pittore
Bill my zincs (same as yours) last 5 to 6 months and at that time look larger than your spent one. Stu Smith Pelican #80

bill pittore

Feb 27, 2022, 1:06:39 PM2/27/22
to STEWART SMITH, catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Stu for the info. Are you in salt water or fresh? I'm in salt in Portland ME.

Bill

ken magida

Feb 28, 2022, 7:54:51 AM2/28/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I stay at a mooring and frequently anchor when cruising and avoid docks whenever possible. Therefore I don’t think I have the same concerns. However the first seven years or so I had the boat I used a zinc that attached directly to the shaft and had poor experiences with them. They either vaporized quickly or vibrated off so there was nothing left but the fitting. Then I learned about the type in Bill’s photo and after the season it is still there with at least half the zinc still present.

Ken
Sent from my iPad,
An intelligent device which corrects my typing.

STEWART SMITH

Feb 28, 2022, 8:15:34 AM2/28/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, bill pittore
Salt water in Dana Point, between San Diego and LA.