Traveler line cleats

Jeffrey Hare

Apr 21, 2022, 2:21:49 PM4/21/22
to Catalina355
Hi,

As suggested by Jon Vez, I decided to correct a little problem with the traveler control lines on #17.  I suspect, but don't know, whether this affects later hulls as well.

The angle the lines take to the cam cleats is not ideal. The lines were very easy to accidentally pop out of the jammer and allow the traveler to shift.  To make matters slightly worse, the lead angle makes re-jamming them a bit tricky.  I found that most of the time I needed to use a hand on the line behind the cleat to help push it down and into the jammers.

To solve that problem, I fabricated a new base plate out of 316 SS that allowed me to mount a bull's-eye fairlead right behind the cleat to ensure that the lines can be quickly and easily cleated or un-cleated with one hand.

-Jeff Hare #17 Solstice

Factory Setup:

TravelerCleat-Orig1s.png
TravelerCleat-Orig2S.png

New Fabrication:
TravelerCleat0.png

TravelerCleat3.png

TravelerCleat2.png

Dry Fitting:
TravelerCleat5-DryFit.png
TravelerCleat5-DryFit2.png

TravelerCleat.png

Jeffrey Hare

Apr 21, 2022, 2:24:20 PM4/21/22
to Catalina355
Note that I drilled and tapped holes in the base plate for the bull's eye fairlead so no new holes needed to be drilled in the boat.

-Jeff Hare

Bruce Toothaker

Apr 21, 2022, 3:32:32 PM4/21/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Have had same problem. This is a really great way of fixing this annoyance.
DIRIGO #97

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/1ffe2003-bd94-43d0-a007-896244b34554n%40googlegroups.com.