Best practices for flying an asymmetrical spinnaker on a 355?

Dean Vermeire

Jun 10, 2022, 2:17:36 PM6/10/22
to Catalina355
All,
I flew my new Asym for the first time yesterday (single-handing!).  It all went pretty well, but there are a few tips I'd like to pick up.

I have the Selden sprit from the factory (the shorter model) on our 2013 C355 (#83).  I bought the Doyle chute from Catalina Yachts Store.  I have the Selden top-down furler, as well.  I have the furling line(s) routed pretty well.  No problems there.

Where do you cleat the tack line from the sprit?  I just cleated it on the bow cleat.  Would a block with a cam cleat attached to the toe rail work well?

How far aft to you put your turning blocks for the sheets?  I have them well aft, near the stern rail.

Do you take the sheets to the primary winches?  If so, what do you do with the genoa sheets in the meantime?  Cleat them on the stern cleats?

I will say that I've ended up with a lot of lines run around.  It seems the biggest challenge is just to not foul any lines or have the asym get in the way of furling the genoa.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dean Vermeire
Encore (#83)

STEWART SMITH

Jun 10, 2022, 3:10:07 PM6/10/22
to catal...@googlegroups.com, Dean Vermeire
Dean, I have hull #80 close kin to you. I also have the doyle Aso with selden equipment. I did pretty much as you describe and it worked well for me. I did put about 5 fairleads on the stansions which kept things pretty neat. After about 4 outtings I dumped the sail and removed all the equipment as I also single hand alot and could not keep the sail furled when headed out or returning as it would unwind from the upper portion even though the endless furling line was locked. after bouts with it coming unraveled and causing a real mess I got tired of it and just removed it. I never did find out what was going wrong and so for safety I do not use the sail. Sorry, hope you have better luck as it was great when flown, but not worth the hastle to me.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/23765215-3f7e-490c-8bc0-625709a0b367n%40googlegroups.com.