Head Faucet

Dean Vermeire

May 11, 2024, 5:01:24 PMMay 11
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The Moen 6500 faucet in the head of our 2013 Catalina 355 has seen better days.  I basically had to carve out the aerator to change it, but water still does not flow.  I am aware that there is a strainer in the extension for the faucet, and I suspect that is pretty cruddy.  There may be other parts that need to be replaced, as well.

My question is, have any of you ever taken the faucet out or installed a new one?

If you did replace it, what did you replace it with?

Getting at it from underneath seems like a chore that will cause me to use words I would rather not use.

Advice?

Thanks,

Dean Vermeire
Encore (C-355 #83)

Chris Haycraft

May 11, 2024, 6:06:39 PMMay 11
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dean,

I had the same issue on my 355 (#45). The aerator was pretty much gone and the handle that houses the cartridge was corroded and I was able to remove it. I had no flow thru the faucet at all. I called Moen, told them my tail of woe and they sent me a new faucet (it has a lifetime warranty).

While installing I found that the extension on the body of the original faucet needed to be used again to get the faucet high enough for the sink. Also, the diameter of drain tube is too large for the hose that goes to the thru hull, so I left the original in place.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 11, 2024, at 4:01 PM, Dean Vermeire <drver...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/CAPC1rurUgOXoO2Qbdrgvrw4jr7YWQMTjfaYo8%2B3skYp4LpS52Q%40mail.gmail.com.

ken magida

May 11, 2024, 6:12:34 PMMay 11
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Moen will replace it free of charge
Ken Magida
Forever Young #46
Sent from my iPhone
An allegedly smart device

On May 11, 2024, at 15:01, Dean Vermeire <drver...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dean Vermeire

May 11, 2024, 8:28:44 PMMay 11
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input, Ken.  I don't know if they have any Moen 6500s left in stock, but worth a shot.

Mainly, I wanted to find out what it entails to physically replace the faucet, whether with the same model or something different.  At the very least, it looks like there is a part that goes on the underside of the countertop, to which the faucet attaches.  I don't see a very good eay of getting at that.

Dean

ken magida

May 11, 2024, 9:24:26 PMMay 11
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Mine was a direct swap and my only recollection is that it took a while to figure out the trick of getting it done. Sorry I can’t offer more.
However the improvement in water pressure was immediate and significant

Ken Magida
Forever Young #46
Sent from my iPhone
An allegedly smart device

Phil Kling

May 12, 2024, 6:20:02 AMMay 12
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Ken

Did you replace the original mown faucet with the same unit or something else entirely?

Phil Kling
Hull #5

ken magida

May 12, 2024, 7:02:55 AMMay 12
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Same model
I changed it 2 or 3 years ago
Ken
Sent from my iPhone
An allegedly smart device

cshay...@comcast.net

May 12, 2024, 9:35:00 AMMay 12
to catal...@googlegroups.com

The faucet that I received a month ago was a different model, the original one is no longer in production. The new model looks very much like the prior one, with the exception of the differences I mentioned previously.

If you remove the toilet paper holder and open the door to the head/sink thru hull fittings, while lying on your back you can reach the nut that secures the faucet from below.

Chris

Dean Vermeire

May 12, 2024, 10:06:04 AMMay 12
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chris!

bill pittore

May 12, 2024, 10:27:57 AMMay 12
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I've found that if you remove the whole frame that holds the TP holder and the door you get a few more inches of access. Plus a basin wrench might help access the nut.

Bill

bill pittore

May 19, 2024, 9:24:36 PMMay 19
to Catalina355
Ha! Today we were flushing out the water system and of course the head sink faucet had no flow! Removed the strainer, still no flow. My wife was outside pressure washing the deck so I took out the faucet and used the washer to blow through the spout back out the inlet lines. Tested it out and it's working great now. I think flushing with a regular hose would have worked as well.

Bill

Dean Vermeire

Jun 13, 2024, 2:35:10 PMJun 13
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I removed the frame that holds the toilet paper enclosure and the access door.  That made it "fairly" easy to get to the bracket that holds the faucet in place.  I removed the faucet, cleaned it out as best as I could, and put back in place.  Then I removed the cartridge, cleaned, and reinstalled.  The water still flows very slowly.

When I got home, I called Moen.  As I am not the original owner, the lifetime warranty does not kick in.  They did ship me a free cartridge, although the shipping was not free.  I have doubts that the cartridge will do the trick (I already replaced the aerator).  So, I am looking at replacing the faucet.

I bought a Delta faucet, but it is too tall to let the mirrored door behind the sink open.  There are plenty of faucets out there that have the spout high enough (about 6") and enough reach (about 5") and are no taller than the original (11"), so no problems there.

Mostly, this is just a follow-up, should anyone else be wandering down this path.

cshay...@comcast.net

Jun 13, 2024, 3:00:14 PMJun 13
to catal...@googlegroups.com

I would stay after Moen to replace the faucet at no charge. They are supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

After they shipped a cartridge, at no charge, for the head faucet and it didn’t resolve the issue, I called them back and they sent a brand new one at no charge. They did the same for a friend of mine that has a 355 and he got the galley faucet at no charge.

Chris