flozen stuffing box

Evan DeLucia

Nov 20, 2021, 4:38:00 PM11/20/21
to Catalina355
I've got an excessive drip rate from my stuffing box - not fatal but I'd like to dial it back. Problem, the nuts are completely frozen. Tried a couple of pipe wrenches but couldn't get them to budge. My mechanic wants me to upgrade to a dripless stuffing box. Nice idea but the project could be $$. Thoughts?

Chuck and Grayce

Nov 20, 2021, 6:48:47 PM11/20/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Catalina uses stuffing boxes on their boats because they fail incrementally rather than fatally RIGHT NOW like a dripless installation. Have you tried some penetrating oil on the nuts?
Best regards from Key West,
Chuck Tontsch
Floridays
Catalina 355 #137

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/6400ffe6-316b-405b-a886-34c93e3f36a1n%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Curtin

Nov 20, 2021, 7:39:42 PM11/20/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Evan
We just had a Tides drip less installed this spring during our haul out. It’s been great, and less then I thought was going to cost.
Mike
Iona

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 20, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Evan DeLucia <deluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got an excessive drip rate from my stuffing box - not fatal but I'd like to dial it back. Problem, the nuts are completely frozen. Tried a couple of pipe wrenches but couldn't get them to budge. My mechanic wants me to upgrade to a dripless stuffing box. Nice idea but the project could be $$. Thoughts?

bill pittore

Nov 20, 2021, 7:46:41 PM11/20/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
I unstuck mine last year and I think I used some PBlaster along with either an 18” pipe wrench or big channel loc pliers  and the Buck Algonquin 2” Packing Box wrench. Can’t quite remember which wrench I used. 🙄 I may have use a heat gun as well. I should wear a GoPro camera on my head so I remember this stuff.

The original flax packing was pretty shot. It might have had 400 hrs on it. I thought I’d experiment with some different packing and researched the topic to death. Shaft packing is a huge business I found out since every pump in existence uses some form of it. I settled on Palmetto Packing #1347AF which is synthetic yarn impregnated with PTFE.
Bought 10’ on Amazon.

I just had to barely tighten it past the point of the packing hitting the bronze prop tube. It was essentially dripless, just a smear of water would be on the nut. Ran cool and when I hauled it out this year after about 100 hrs. of engine time it seems to be in great shape and no wear on the shaft that I can measure with my calipers.

Bill

On Nov 20, 2021, at 4:38 PM, Evan DeLucia <deluc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got an excessive drip rate from my stuffing box - not fatal but I'd like to dial it back. Problem, the nuts are completely frozen. Tried a couple of pipe wrenches but couldn't get them to budge. My mechanic wants me to upgrade to a dripless stuffing box. Nice idea but the project could be $$. Thoughts?

Jeff Hare

Nov 20, 2021, 9:21:32 PM11/20/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If anyone is interested we have a dozen or so sets of stuffing box wrenches left for sale.  We had them custom machined/anodized to fit the C355 stuffing box tighter than off the shelf wrenches.  They come with a padded case.

They have square milled holes at their ends to accept socket wrenches for leverage at odd angles.

When these are all sold we probably won't order another batch from the machine shop.

To free the frozen nuts, just penetrating oil and some time to let it work.  PB Blaster is good but try not to get it or oil  in the shaft where it will run into the stuffing box packing if possible.

We made sets to fit the C320 also.

Jeff Hare
C355 Solstice #17
20181114_173134~2.jpg
20210314_125359~2.jpg

Bruce Toothaker

Nov 21, 2021, 4:18:04 PM11/21/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com

What is the price for the 355 stuffing box wrench set?

Bruce Toothaker – C355 #97 – DIRIGO

Thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jeff Hare

Nov 21, 2021, 7:22:34 PM11/21/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce,

While we still have some left (not sure how many exactly, but we have at least 10 or 15 sets), we’re offering them with a custom made padded zippered storage pouch for $85 + $8 priority shipping.

We take Venmo to:  @Jeffrey-Hare-320

Or a check to:

Jeff Hare

97 Lowell Road

Windham, NH 03087

How these came about: We had a good machine shop mill custom wrenches from quality billet aluminum and then hard-coat anodize a batch for C320 International Association members that worked super well.  Stock wrenches were a bit sloppy and didn’t allow attaching socket wrench handles for leverage and access when the nut and locking ring are in inconvenient positions.

Jon Vez wanted a set for the C355 so he worked with us a while back to hone in on the measurements needed for a good fit for the C355’s stuffing box for his (now our boat).   We’ve been busy and just didn’t get around to letting other C355 owners know we still had more of that mfg batch available until this thread came up.

Jeff Hare

C355 #17 Solstice

je...@adaptivemarine.com

David Mills

Nov 22, 2021, 6:26:35 AM11/22/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com

Jeff, I would like one of the 355 kits if still available. If so, I will Venmo today.

Dave Mills
Island Time

Jon Vez

Nov 22, 2021, 8:28:39 AM11/22/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Evan,
As others have suggested, PB Blaster will work. To keep it from anything non metallic, spray some in a small cup and use a chip brush to apply it, then wait a day or so. Once loose if you coat the threads with Lanocote, they will never freeze up going forward. The Lanocote is viscous enough where it doesn’t act like a grease so no worries about the nut becoming slippery.
As for the dripless, I think they are great and had one on my previous (previous) boat with no complaints. However I opted for the traditional stuffing box on the 355 because when it comes time to replace the bellow, dropping the rudder and decoupling the shaft from the transmission coupling is much more involved than replacing packing.
I waited too long to replace my packing and it was a pain to get the old stuff out, so like the dentist, don’t procrastinate…
FWIW, the wrenches Jeff Hare have are a huge help!
These are some pics of 9 years of packing neglect. The vinyl tubing is a great trick for packing the new rings…

Sent from my iPad