Old YouTrack issues for MonoRail, ActiveRecord, and other under-maintained projects

Jonathon Rossi

Oct 27, 2014, 3:58:59 AM10/27/14
to Castle Project Development
Hey guys,

tl;dr. do you want any of the remaining issues in YouTrack relogged on GitHub? (see link below). If so, please relog them before I close them as obsolete in a week or so.

I've been cleaning out the old issues logged on YouTrack in bursts over the last few months and have closed a few hundred as obsolete. However, I've kept a bunch of MonoRail and ActiveRecord ones open that had useful patches, feature requests and/or were interesting.

The Castle Project isn't what it was back in 2008, and with the advent of DVCS, foundation like groups like the Apache Foundation, Castle Project and Codehaus are being left behind for less formalised organisation using GitHub without other complexities for many reasons I don't want to go into.

What is our position on the projects we maintain. Obviously Castle Core (including DynamicProxy) and Windsor (plus a bunch of the facilities) are still alive and well maintained. ActiveRecord hasn't seen a lot of love lately but it still seems somewhat popular, or at least used by folks in production.

Personally I'm using Nancy for web development and am enjoying that it feels a lot like a progression of where MonoRail was many years ago. I don't have a problem closing the rest of the issues and stating clearly that these two projects are now mature and non-longer under active development, i.e. we'll accept patches and keep them on the CI server but won't be contributing any time unless people step forward. I'd prefer for us as a group to be clear to users which projects we are going to spend effort on to avoid issues like this one (https://github.com/castleproject/ActiveRecord/issues/1).

This email is way too long, I know people hate long emails and I brought up a few issues, so lets sort out the first one. If you want to keep any of these issues current please relog them in GitHub because I'll close off everything else in a week. Then I'm going to dump a readonly copy of the YouTrack issues and we'll use GitHub Issues only rather than a mix.

Thanks guys
--
Jono

hammett

Oct 27, 2014, 7:53:37 PM10/27/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, if those PR/patches regarding MR were sent to my email directly,
I would have given them a look, but so far I wasnt even aware of their
existence. If we could centralize things on github, it would be great.

I just started playing with phoenix today
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix

Going a bit offtopic and in a slight rant: I still think there's a big
gap in web frameworks all around (ie not only in the .net world).
There's an impedance mismatch on apps that only expose endpoints and
apps that expose resources/collections/data. An argument can be made
that one can view resources/collections as semantic-less endpoints and
that's fair.

The issue is that MVC doesnt fit well (no hierarchies). GData and
OData are good formalizations of these, but we still dont have a
programming model that serves this model well. I've attempted to build
one with odata extensions for MR, but it's too overwhelming -- esp
given that OData was engineering based on RDBMS capabilities and
doesnt fit well with aggregate domains and|or document, schemaless
stores.

That said, I have little incentive to take at stab at this problem in
the .net world. As we all know MS sucks the air of the room with their
offerings, regardless of its merits. The community in general seems to
be content with the status quo, but more importantly, I dont see much
learning opportunities.

So yes, I can fix bugs thrown at me as long as it doesnt take much of
my time. I'd be way more excited to form study groups or a castle-ext
focused on non-.net stuff :-)

Thanks Jonathon
> --

Cheers,
hammett
http://www.d-collab.com/
http://www.hammettblog.com/

Jonathon Rossi

Oct 27, 2014, 11:05:28 PM10/27/14
to Castle Project Development
Hammett, I'm not sure if you noticed but all of the MonoRail ones are MonoRail 2 not MR3, and they were all logged at least 3 years ago. I think all the MR3 ones ended up in GitHub.

We all sort of neglected JIRA a bit when we had it and everything came over as is into YouTrack and built up. It reminds me of how the old castle forum was neglected after we basically used the mailing lists and SO for everything, but weren't clear to users that they shouldn't ask new questions there.

The plan is definitely to centralise everything we do on GitHub, and clean up things that aren't providing value. I've got the web site across to GH pages, we will have all our issues across there soon, and that just leaves our wiki which I also plan to migrate.

@Hammett and Henry, heads up I'm planning to dump the YouTrack issues and throw them into a GitHub repo so we've got them if we (or our users) want to refer to them in the future. I'll put a README on the repo, and would like to redirect issues.castleproject.org there, that should be easy to do right?

OT: the phoenix framework has a lot of similarities to Nancy, however a bunch of interesting looking features, I'll have to take a deeper look to see what they are doing. I'm happy to talk about the other topics you raised, but I want to keep this thread on topic so I can sort these out by the end of the week.

Jono
Jono

hammett

Oct 28, 2014, 12:23:55 AM10/28/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Is it really worth to migrate everything? I'd say that if the effort
is too much, just dont do it.

Jonathon Rossi

Oct 28, 2014, 12:35:09 AM10/28/14
to Castle Project Development
What are you referring to here? The only time I mentioned the word migrate was in relation to the wiki, I do think there is a while bunch of useful content on there for Windsor and DP.

If you are referring to the YouTrack issues, migrate isn't the word I would pick. I'm just going to use the special export API to dump the issues as XML and throw them like source code into a Git repo, not doing anything with GitHub Issues.

hammett

Oct 28, 2014, 1:41:24 AM10/28/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good enough to me, then.

Jonathon Rossi

Oct 28, 2014, 1:49:36 AM10/28/14
to Castle Project Development
Cool, thanks.

Just so people don't just write these issues off when they see MonoRail and ActiveRecord without looking. There are a few others that are still open, some with some somewhat recent comments. If you want them kept and don't have time to relog them, let me know and I can do that.

3x DYNPROXY
2x IOC
1x FACILITIES

Henry Conceição

Oct 28, 2014, 9:46:58 AM10/28/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the redirect should be easy.

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Nov 3, 2014, 3:23:14 AM11/3/14
to Castle Project Development
OK, I've closed the remaining YouTrack issues and relogged a few of them in GitHub. I've exported YouTrack to a pile of XML files and I've removed the custom domain name off our YouTrack instance so you will now no longer be able to get to it.

Henry could you please redirect anything that goes to http://issues.castleproject.org/* to:
https://github.com/castleproject/castle-youtrack-export

I'd just redirect everything to the root page, no need to worry about any rewrite rules to transform the URL and everyone will see the README.

hammett

Nov 4, 2014, 5:40:38 PM11/4/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jonathon!

Jonathon Rossi

Nov 7, 2014, 3:35:04 AM11/7/14
to Castle Project Development, Henry Conceição
Thanks Hammett, it has been good to knock over a few Castle things I've been meaning to do for quite a while.

@Henry we still need the DNS changed as per my last email.

Jonathon Rossi

Nov 16, 2014, 7:50:20 AM11/16/14
to Castle Project Development, Henry Conceição
Henry, sorry for nagging but have you had a chance to look at changing the DNS and adding a sub-domain forward? If you don't have time to do it at the moment an acknowledgement would be great to know it is on your radar.

Thanks, Jono
--
Jono

hammett

Nov 16, 2014, 3:09:02 PM11/16/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Jono, I'm following up with him. It's a turbulent - but exciting
- times ahead for Henry's team, so I'm sure he's very busy.

Jonathon Rossi

Nov 16, 2014, 7:19:53 PM11/16/14
to Castle Project Development
Thanks Hammett

Henry Conceição

Nov 17, 2014, 10:32:55 AM11/17/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Done. Sorry for the delay...

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Nov 17, 2014, 8:31:06 PM11/17/14
to Castle Project Development
Many thanks, our issues migration is now complete.