Castle documentation has been migrated from ScrewTurn Wiki to GitHub

Jonathon Rossi

Jun 11, 2015, 1:52:46 AM6/11/15
to Castle Project Development
I've finished migrating all of the documentation from http://docs.castleproject.org/ into each project's git repo. There is now a docs directory each project's git repo with a README.md file.

The entry point of the wiki is now in the home git repo (https://github.com/castleproject/Home) which now sort of does a similar purpose to the web site.

We can now easily receive, review and merge changes to documentation with pull requests.

FYI I've removed all the pages from the wiki excluding the Windsor pages which I've put a link to the new location so that StackOverflow answers and other inbound links will allow users to find the page. Not sure how long we want to keep STW running for.

--
Jono

Krzysztof Koźmic

Jun 11, 2015, 2:22:40 AM6/11/15
to Castle Project Development
Love your work Jono.

Re STW: let's monitor how much traffic it gets, and once it goes down significantly shut it down

Jonathon Rossi

Jun 11, 2015, 2:41:51 AM6/11/15
to Castle Project Development
Thanks, it took much longer than I thought it was going to. I removed/fixed some obsolete content as I went, but there is still some more, but hopefully users are more likely to fix it now on GitHub.

It looks like we've got Google Analytics on that page, have you got access to it?
--
Jono

Jonathon Rossi

Jun 11, 2015, 2:58:21 AM6/11/15
to Castle Project Development
Ah, it's the same analytics ID that the old castleproject.org site used, so Henry would have access.

--
Jono

Krzysztof Koźmic

Jun 11, 2015, 2:54:04 AM6/11/15
to Castle Project Development
I don't think I do.

hammett

Jun 11, 2015, 5:46:58 AM6/11/15
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1
Thanks a lot!
--
Cheers,
hammett

Janco Wolmarans

Jun 22, 2015, 5:22:23 AM6/22/15
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathon,

What did you use to do the screwturn to markdown conversion? Apologies if this is a little off topic, but we're trying to migrate one of our internal wikis, and are looking for tools to do that.

Regards
Janco

Jonathon Rossi

Jun 22, 2015, 5:37:07 AM6/22/15
to Castle Project Development
Nothing fancy because I had to avoid destroying inline code which can have wiki syntax (e.g. windsor config has "{{...}}"). There was also all sorts of random escaped wikitext that people needed to get STW to display what we wanted. Along with the conversation I skim read the majority of pages as I went and rearranged things, fixed headers that had the wrong indentation level and many other problems.

If you've got a cleaner set you might be able to find some tools but I didn't find anything I was confident to run. I basically had a script using grep (with --color) that would display all in wikitext symbols (i.e. [[, [[, {{, }}, @@, '', ''', <, >, and those annoying quotes from Word). If it looked good I used another script to replace a few of those symbols. I then jumped into Atom and manually edited headers and a bunch of other things, then ran the first script which also ran markdownlint (https://github.com/mivok/markdownlint) until I had no more symbols left and no more lint warnings, I then finished by having a look at the markdown preview in Atom.

Yep, sounds pretty painful, but I did a lot of clean up as I went and deleted a bunch of duplicate content, merged some pages, cleaned up some code samples, etc. I did most of it while watching TV as to burn the least amount of real time doing it.

Sorry that I don't have a silver bullet to offer.

Jono

Janco Wolmarans

Jun 22, 2015, 3:37:34 PM6/22/15
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com