Moving away from Wordpress to Github pages

Krzysztof Koźmic

Sep 15, 2014, 7:07:20 PM9/15/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
We've been discussing the move for a while now, I think it's time to start doing something about it.

The way I see it, we can do it in a few stages:

Stage one

- Set up a Github page for CastleProject organisation
- Set up a Github page for major Castle repositories (Windsor, Core, etc)

This can be done by anyone who's a team member of the Castle organisation

Stage two

- copy the content from wordpress page to github pages. This involves a bit of tinkering with Github markdown, but I don't think it'd be too time consuming.

This can be done by anyone (pull request)

Stage three

- point the domain to the new page, and take Wordpress down

This can be done by whoever manages the domain and the box running Wordpress (I'm guessing Henry and/or Hammett)

Stage four

- styling the new pages. I'd consider this a lower priority but making it look nice and have some consistent branding would be nice.

Again, I think anyone can pull request it.

Call to action

Now, to begin with, is anyone volunteering to help execute the move, primarily stage two for now? Please raise your hand.

Henry Conceição

Sep 15, 2014, 7:14:33 PM9/15/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I did a quick search, and looks like that exists some
tools out there [1] for the migration from wordpress to github/jekyll.
I can export the db (obfuscating accounts and etc) to anyone who wants
to give it a try.

1 - http://derekwyatt.org/2014/01/01/moving-from-wordpress-to-github-pages.html

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 15, 2014, 7:45:36 PM9/15/14
to Castle Project Development
Sorry for making the commitment to do this several weeks ago and not getting very far. I was actually going to pick things up again this week as I just finished a project to a milestone on the weekend.

I'm still good for doing stage 1 and 2 this week.

I've also been cleaning up the issues on the YouTrack issue tracker when I've had a chance so we can migrate what's left to GitHub Issues. I'll report on the progress and what's left to do this week also.

Jono

Krzysztof Koźmic

Sep 15, 2014, 9:13:14 PM9/15/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
awesome thanks guys.

Jono, I would probably prefer migrating the website first and the issues later, mostly because of the hacks we're getting on Wordpress and bad publicity that comes with it (https://twitter.com/paulstovell/status/511515143868395520)

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 15, 2014, 9:38:09 PM9/15/14
to Castle Project Development
Definitely, I haven't done anything on the issues for over a week.

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 18, 2014, 3:04:08 AM9/18/14
to Castle Project Development
Okay, I've done a first cut of the web site. I've got all the content across mostly as is, however I cleaned a little bit up as I went. There are a few rough bits but I'm happy to cut over to this site now and drop the WordPress one on the floor. We can all very easily make fixes to this site and accept pull requests from anyone too.

http://castleproject.github.io/

Henry or Hammett, let me know if you are happy with it and I'll commit the CNAME configuration so you can set up DNS:
--
Jono

Krzysztof Kozmic

Sep 18, 2014, 4:52:16 AM9/18/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, Jonathon Rossi
Well done Jono.

I’m not sure I’d bother with the ’news’ section though.

Are you going to pull across pages for Windsor and Core as well?

cheers
--
Krzysztof Kozmic

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 18, 2014, 5:03:15 AM9/18/14
to Krzysztof Kozmic, Castle Project Development
I thought the news was a good way for people to see that the Castle Project is still active and keep up with releases. It is pretty easy to add a new post to the "blog". We can easily reduce the amount of space it takes up on the home page by limiting the number of posts (https://github.com/castleproject/castleproject.github.io/blob/master/index.html#L22).

The Windsor page is there, did you see the right nav? Yer, the nav could look better. There are some links to a Castle Core page (http://www.castleproject.org/projects/core/) but it doesn't exist. I brought across every page and post that showed up in the WP admin.
--
Jono

Henry Conceição

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12:13 PM9/18/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Looks good.

Let me know when I must change the dns.

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 18, 2014, 7:56:57 PM9/18/14
to Castle Project Development
CNAME configuration added.

I've set it to the castle domain with "www" since we used to always use www. Also add an A record, GitHub Pages will automatically redirect the non-www one for us.

Ken Egozi

Sep 18, 2014, 11:05:18 PM9/18/14
to Castle Project Development List
That's terrific guys. I love how we would be able to get rid of all the spam, as well as the operational overhead (both from hosting and from content maintenance perspectives).

I created a favicon out of the little castle logo. As I cannot push directly to the site's repo I created a PR with it.

Henry Conceição

Sep 19, 2014, 11:34:38 AM9/19/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Added the cname entry. The A record will continue pointing to the old
server for now. I'll make sure that we have a redirect for the
non-www.

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Henry Conceição

Sep 19, 2014, 11:52:31 AM9/19/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
It's looks like the castleproject.github.io is redirecting to
www.castleproject.org. Is this expected?

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 19, 2014, 5:08:19 PM9/19/14
to Castle Project Development
Yep, once you commit a CNAME file and the DNS is working GitHub Pages will do that for you automatically to ensure you've only got got one URL serving the content. It's the same reason they'll automatically redirect the www or non-www site to the one you specify in the CNAME file.

Thanks for getting the DNS updated.

Krzysztof Kozmic

Sep 19, 2014, 5:50:45 PM9/19/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, Jonathon Rossi
going to http://castleproject.org (in Firefox at least) causes a redirect loop.

Is it because the DNS records are still updating or is there something we need to do about it?
--
Krzysztof Kozmic

From: Jonathon Rossi <jo...@jonorossi.com>
Reply: castle-pro...@googlegroups.com <castle-pro...@googlegroups.com>>
Date: 20 September 2014 at 7:08:18 am
To: Castle Project Development <castle-pro...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject:  Re: Moving away from Wordpress to Github pages

Ken Egozi

Sep 19, 2014, 8:33:25 PM9/19/14
to Krzysztof Kozmic, castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, Jonathon Rossi
Iirc this domain still points to the old server which tries to redirect to www but there is something messed up there.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sep 20, 2014, 12:04:35 AM9/20/14
to James Curran, Castle-Devel
This might be a meta refresh tag that lacks the http prefix.

Btw as we are in charge of the server there can we look in IIS logs to figure out if people actually are going to the non www address?
And perhaps set a permanent redirect rule while at it?

I'd be happy to do so of I can get a temporary access to the machine.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sep 25, 2014, 10:41:29 PM9/25/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I have a typekit subscription, if you guys want to explore
alternatives to the typography.
Cheers,
hammett
http://www.d-collab.com/
http://www.hammettblog.com/

Krzysztof Koźmic

Sep 26, 2014, 12:57:12 AM9/26/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
is anyone looking at the redirect problem when not using www. ?

hammett

Sep 27, 2014, 1:10:36 AM9/27/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
That's up to Henry, I believe...

Henry Conceição

Sep 29, 2014, 2:15:49 PM9/29/14
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
No, I'm not looking into this issue. Adding the A entry right now is
not option (there a bunch of subdomains that aren't explicit
configured).

I've checked the "Redirect all requests to exact destination (instead
of relative destination)", but it seems that the issue persists...

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Sep 29, 2014, 11:08:58 PM9/29/14
to Castle Project Development
Henry it looks like you did actually fix it. It works for me in my browser and IIS is responding correctly now. Maybe your browser is caching the 302.

< HTTP/1.1 302 Redirect

Ken Egozi

Sep 29, 2014, 11:11:25 PM9/29/14
to Castle Project Development List