Power consumption in IDLE radio state

ABbx

Oct 24, 2012, 5:51:06 AM10/24/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
What power does the IDLE radio state consume in Castalia? If it is assumed to be the same as the LISTEN/receiving radio state then is this assumption realistic? I have gone through the manual and the Castalia group but could not find the answer. Please guide me towards a relevant post, if any.

Athanassios Boulis

Oct 24, 2012, 9:45:21 AM10/24/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com
By 'IDLE' I suspect you mean listening, the radio being in an active RX state.
What Castalia does is realistic: there is just an RX state that makes very little difference if you are actually receiving something .
If you are receiving something with very high SNR then you are consuming a little less, but you can ignore this.
Read the datasheet of CC2420 to get more info on what real radios consume.

On 24 October 2012 20:51, ABbx <rajaume...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
What power does the IDLE radio state consume in Castalia? If it is assumed to be the same as the LISTEN/receiving radio state then is this assumption realistic? I have gone through the manual and the Castalia group but could not find the answer. Please guide me towards a relevant post, if any.

ABbx

Dec 7, 2012, 7:58:40 AM12/7/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com, athanassi...@nicta.com.au
Dear Dr. Boulis,

What I have understood from Castalia is that you assume the RX radio state and the IDLE radio state consume the same energy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
In my knowledge, there are four general radio states: TX (radio=ON, MCU=ON), RX (radio=ON, MCU=ON), IDLE (radio=OFF, MCU=ON), SLEEP (radio=OFF, MCU=OFF). MCU being the Micro Controller Unit. However, in Castalia you define the BANradio.

Q1. Is this radio associated with any hardware implementation, e.g., CC2420, CC1000, etc, or its just the software implementation of narrow band radio given by IEEE 802.15.6?

Q2. What do mean by the following definition of sleep levels? Does the radio consume 0.05mW in IDLE radio state?

SLEEP LEVELS
idle 0.05, -, -, -, -

On Wednesday, 24 October 2012 21:45:27 UTC+8, Athanassios Boulis wrote:
By 'IDLE' I suspect you mean listening, the radio being in an active RX state.
What Castalia does is realistic: there is just an RX state that makes very little difference if you are actually receiving something .
If you are receiving something with very high SNR then you are consuming a little less, but you can ignore this.
Read the datasheet of CC2420 to get more info on what real radios consume.

On 24 October 2012 20:51, ABbx <rajaume...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
What power does the IDLE radio state consume in Castalia? If it is assumed to be the same as the LISTEN/receiving radio state then is this assumption realistic? I have gone through the manual and the Castalia group but could not find the answer. Please guide me towards a relevant post, if any.

Athanassios Boulis

Dec 7, 2012, 10:34:33 AM12/7/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so by IDLE you did not mean listening, but actually the first sleep state (the lightest sleep state)
CC2420  and other radios support multiple sleep states, according to how many components you want to switch off.

In Castalia we call the different sleep states/modes "sleep levels". So we have no problem in modelling multiple sleep states.
The manual provides information on this. pg 62

Q2. What do mean by the following definition of sleep levels? Does the radio consume 0.05mW in IDLE radio state?

SLEEP LEVELS
idle 0.05, -, -, -, -

Yes.
The manual can give you more detailed information on the format.

umer abbasi

Dec 9, 2012, 12:59:44 AM12/9/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply Dr. Boulis.
Now I understand the concept. There is one more thing, in the manual it says,

The SLEEP LEVELS section should contain at least one line of the following format:
Name, power(mW), delay up(ms), power up(mW), delay down(ms), power down(ms)

The last parameter "power down (ms)" shouldn't be having a unit of "mW"?

Best regards,

Umer Fiaz Abbasi

Masters Scholar

Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS,
Bandar Seri Iskandar, 31750 Tronoh,
Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia.
Mobile No: +60-102991102

                  +92-3215044687

Athanassios Boulis

Dec 9, 2012, 7:12:56 AM12/9/12
to castalia-...@googlegroups.com

The last parameter "power down (ms)" shouldn't be having a unit of "mW"?

Yes, that's right. Thanks for catching the typo.