Looking ahead (to 2022) ... and a present opportunity from CHM

Council on American Studies Education

Oct 24, 2020, 2:11:43 PM10/24/20
to CASE Chicago
Friends of CASE,

We're sending out this message for a couple of reasons: to announce that we will not be having our annual CASE Conference in early 2021 and to let you know of some really cool programming from our great friends at the Chicago History Museum that might help fill the void.

First, for only the second time since CASE began in 1988, we will not be having our annual conference. Obviously, an in-person conference is not an option, but as most of us are struggling with making our remote and hybrid classrooms the best they can be, we thought even a virtual conference would be too big a lift.

So let's plan for a robust return in early 2022 and recommit to reinvigorating the conference and our organization as we enter our fifth decade as a vibrant network of educators across Chicagoland and beyond.

Second, as promised, here is an amazing opportunity from CHM that kicks off this weekend:

Join us for a Teacher Book Club through the Chicago History Museum! The book club is centered on the YA novel Internment by Samira Ahmed which is set in a near future in the United States in which American Muslims are forced into Internment camps. The program is virtual, with the first session kicking off the club on Oct. 24 and the final session on Nov. 14. These sessions will explore the historical context of Japanese Internment during World War II and the oral histories featured in our exhibition American Medina: Stories of Muslim Chicago. In between, educators will engage in online discussion of the work and strategies for classroom instruction. The author will join us for the final session to discuss the work and answer teacher’s questions. Educators will receive 10 PD hours. The cost for the program is $50 and includes an author signed copy of the book, mailed to the educator.

This link goes to the educator programs page on our website

This link goes to the Facebook event page for the book club