Inaugural Poem Project

Council on American Studies Education

Nov 24, 2020, 2:29:52 PM11/24/20
to CASE Chicago
Hello CASE,

My name is Seth MacLowry. I've taught at Maine West for 27 years. After 26 years teaching American Studies, this will be the first time in a quarter century that I won't experience the great communal experience that is CASE. I have co-hosted CASE (twice), presented numerous times, and most importantly, had the opportunity to meet and learn with old friends over the years. Since CASE will not exist in its physical manifestation this year, I thought I might offer up an American Studies lesson plan to the CASE community. I know that this year of all years it is difficult to think about tinkering with your schedules, but I would like to invite you to join the second coming of the Inaugural Poem Project.

After the election four years ago, I created the Inaugural Poem Project for my classes and some other teachers that I invited to join. I had a few takers, and I think it is a wonderful project. I'm pretty sure that I presented my lesson sequence at CASE, but I can't remember.

This year I reached out  to Elizabeth Alexander and Richard Blanco (Obama's two inaugural poets) and finally to the Academy of American Poets. You might know the Academy of American Poets from poets.org and/or their Poem of the Day subscription (if you don't subscribe, it's free and comes to your email every day). They hopped on board and took over the celebration/contest, so now the IPP is a national event.

Please feel free to check out the following links:

Former inaugural poet Richard Blanco will judge the final round of inaugural poems, and there will be prizes as well as a celebration through the Academy of American Poets. My plan is to also connect with the Biden campaign and have the winner or winners of the contest record their inaugural poems, and have these poems presented at whatever virtual inauguration or inaugural events might occur.

Please feel free to reach out  to Seth MacLowry (smac...@maine207.org) if you have questions, and feel free to join the celebration. Unfortunately the official contest is in December, so you would have to modify your plans quickly. But I think it might be worth it!

Yours,
Seth MacLowry, English Teacher
Maine West High School