Is cascalog dead?

David Nies

Jan 27, 2017, 11:59:26 AM1/27/17
to cascalog-user
I just wanted to read some documentation on cascalog.org and the page seems dead. Also, the pull request page on github looks kinda dusty.

Is cascalog dead?

Sam Ritchie

Jan 27, 2017, 12:57:19 PM1/27/17
to cascal...@googlegroups.com
Hey David,

I don't believe there are any active maintainers adding features if that's what you mean. Cascalog rides on Cascading and can use its taps and other operations directly, so until Cascading dies I wouldn't issue cascalog's death certificate.

Many folks are using Cascalog in production, but sadly many of those folks have also not put in the investment to become committers. The bus factor was never terribly high for this one.

If I were starting out with Hadoop I'd still consider Cascalog, as I really enjoy the abstraction it provides. I'm happy to help on this list - the learning curve is not shallow. You should also check out the other excellent clojure/Hadoop work in the community, I'm just not familiar enough to give specific recs.

Best of luck!

On Friday, January 27, 2017, 'David Nies' via cascalog-user <cascal...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I just wanted to read some documentation on cascalog.org and the page seems dead. Also, the pull request page on github looks kinda dusty.

Is cascalog dead?

Sam Ritchie, Stripe Inc.

(Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org)

David Nies

Jan 27, 2017, 6:59:14 PM1/27/17
to cascalog-user
Hi Sam,

thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if cascalog.org is coming back any time soon? I'd really like to read the documentation I've once read there.

Sam Ritchie

Soren Macbeth

Jan 27, 2017, 9:02:10 PM1/27/17
to cascalog-user

David Kincaid

Feb 7, 2017, 2:39:13 PM2/7/17
to cascalog-user
We are using Cascalog and JCascalog extensively. I love it and wish it had more life, but it's been dead for a couple years now (from an active development perspective). I've tried to understand the code so that I could at least support it for our use, but it's way over my head. So we'll probably start moving off of it since sooner or later it will stop working with a Hadoop or Cascading upgrade.

I really appreciate the time that Sam put into it as well as Soren Macbeth and Paul Lam (there are probably others that I'm missing too). The fact that it's still going with essentially no development for 2 years is a testament to the robustness of what they built. Sometimes the best technologies just don't survive.

- Dave

David Kincaid

Nathan Marz

Feb 10, 2017, 6:00:25 PM2/10/17
to cascal...@googlegroups.com
I renewed the domain and cascalog.org is back up now.
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com

Bruce Durling

Feb 10, 2017, 6:19:47 PM2/10/17
to cascal...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

Thanks!

cheers,
Bruce

> --
> Twitter: @nathanmarz
> http://nathanmarz.com

Andrés Corrada-Emmanuel

Sep 10, 2017, 2:45:37 PM9/10/17
to cascalog-user
I wanted to second the sentiment - "Cascalog is way cool and very helpful but its code is too abstract for me." I'm not really a programmer but more of research/development coder. It would help me if there was a document that explained the big picture in the code, or if there were pointers suggested.

My company started with Hadoop and has aggressively transitioned to Spark so my daily use of Cascalog is infrequent. On occasion, there is a problem that I can solve faster running a Hadoop cluster on the raw data into my company's data pipeline. At those times, it is a joy to work with Cascalog.

I'm using it right now to do a HyperLogLog survey of distincts so Cascalog is not dead for me.