Looking to better understand microstate smoothing parameters used by cartools

Victor Pokorny

Apr 3, 2022, 1:23:30 PM4/3/22
to Cartool Community
Hi all,
I'm trying to gain a deeper understanding of the smoothing parameters used by cartools. Specifically, I am mystified by what the Besag factor is? I have looked at the papers that are often cited by researchers describing the Besag factor, but those papers don't mention the Besag factor anywhere. This paper seems to suggest that the two important parameters for smoothing are lambda and b where lambda is a non-smoothing penalty and b is the smoothing window. Is lambda the same as the Besag factor? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Victor