Cartagen Knitter is now MapKnitter.org

Jeffrey Warren

Sep 17, 2011, 4:32:14 PM9/17/11
to grassroo...@googlegroups.com, publicla...@googlegroups.com, cartag...@googlegroups.com
For those who want to "turn images into maps" --

As announced on Thursday at FOSS4G in Denver, Cartagen Knitter is now called MapKnitter, and is found at:

http://mapknitter.org

Stewart Long and I spent all of Wednesday designing and implementing this -- besides a rebranding and beautification, this is basically a relaunching of the project as completely separate from the Cartagen framework, though it still makes use of Cartagen code. The new project's code has been cleaned of most unnecessary Cartagen Server cruft, and can be found at:

By finally separating the codebase and conceptually separating Cartagen from the MapKnitter program, we hope to avoid a lot of confusion which resulted from the complicated joint history of these two systems. I'll of course still answer questions on the cartagen-dev mailing list, but bugs, issues, feature requests and any offers of collaboration (please? ;-) ) should be directed to the GitHub issue tracker here:

We're gearing up for a 1.0 release by the end of the month.

Finally, we're starting to compile some more comprehensive documentation and help/tutorials at http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/mapknitter. If you've been using Map Knitter, I encourage you to chip in on writing helpful documentation to help others get started. A video will also be posted soon on the front page.

This felt great to get pushed out there, and while we're not all the way there yet (if ever), I want to thank everyone who's contributed to getting this tool off the ground. (Also there are some amazing maps in there which the new design makes more visible.)

Jeff & Public Laboratory