adding qpid support

Michael Hrivnak

Oct 10, 2013, 9:25:04 AM10/10/13
to carrot...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Along with Darryl Pierce who recently introduced himself, I work at Red Hat, and my team is very interested in the possibility of adding qpid support to kombu. I looked at the existing transports, and I found that there is a lot of variety in the implementations. I could use some guidance on painting a full picture of what would need to be done. Is there a specific API that needs to be fulfilled? Better yet, is there some documentation of how to add a new transport?

Thanks,
Michael Hrivnak

Ask Solem

Oct 11, 2013, 10:54:11 AM10/11/13
to carrot...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 10, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Michael Hrivnak <mhri...@hrivnak.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Along with Darryl Pierce who recently introduced himself, I work at Red Hat, and my team is very interested in the possibility of adding qpid support to kombu. I looked at the existing transports, and I found that there is a lot of variety in the implementations. I could use some guidance on painting a full picture of what would need to be done. Is there a specific API that needs to be fulfilled? Better yet, is there some documentation of how to add a new transport?

Hey Michael.

Sadly there is no documentation for this.

The simplest example is the memory transport, which only adds basic support.

The optimal transport will also support async I/O. Currently only amqp and redis supports
this but the goal is for all of the transports to. The API for AIO was hacked in for
Celery, so it was private but is now taking a more pleasant shape in Kombu 3.0, and will hopefully be generically useful in Kombu 4.0.

Transports may be implemented in two ways, either it can support the AMQP 0.9 API directly
(as implemented by py-amqp) or it can use the virtual base class.
The virtual transports may not be suitable for qpid since almost all of the virtual transports
are based around a database.

--
Ask Solem
twitter.com/asksol