Entropy calculation as a function of time

Mandira Dinda

Nov 7, 2023, 8:03:38 AM11/7/23
to carma molecular dynamics
Hello,
          Is it possible ti calculate entropy as a function of time?From earlier discussion what I have understood that I have to calculate the entropy  in 0-10, 0-20...0-100 and so on ns time intervals if my trajectory is of total 1500 ns.I have a doubt that after calculating the entropy in that way during plotting I have to plot the cumulative entropy value vs time? I am using the following command to calculate the entropy :
 carma -v -w -fit -force -segid A -atmid ALLID newdcd-1.dcd newpsf.psf
carma -v -cov -eigen -mass -force -temp 300 -last 1000 -atmid ALLID carma.fitted.dcd  carma.selected_atoms.psf > carma_entropy1k.txt
carma -v -w -fit -force -segid A -atmid ALLID newdcd-1.dcd newpsf.psf
carma -v -cov -eigen -mass -force -temp 300 -last 2000 -atmid ALLID carma.fitted.dcd  carma.selected_atoms.psf > carma_entropy1k.txt
and so on
Best Regards,
Mandira Dinda

Nicholas M. Glykos

Nov 7, 2023, 9:11:06 AM11/7/23
to Mandira Dinda, carma molecular dynamics

> Is it possible ti calculate entropy as a function of time?From
> earlier discussion what I have understood that I have to calculate the
> entropy in 0-10, 0-20...0-100 and so on ns time intervals if my trajectory
> is of total 1500 ns.I have a doubt that after calculating the entropy in
> that way during plotting I have to plot the cumulative entropy value vs
> time?

This is indeed the approach used in the original papers that carma applies.
See https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1401821 and https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2614(93)89366-P

--

Nicholas M. Glykos, Department of Molecular Biology
and Genetics, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus,