What do you want from Cardiffrb?

ghr

Sep 20, 2011, 5:11:24 AM9/20/11
to cardiffrb
Would be great to get everyone's feedback of how its been so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDZDbjMxQ1ZHS25WbF9uUWhQeFJFQnc6MQ

Its short! :D

ghr

Sep 27, 2011, 6:18:19 PM9/27/11
to cardiffrb
And our survey says: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoyBqBsB3UqkdDZDbjMxQ1ZHS25WbF9uUWhQeFJFQnc&hl=en_GB

It seems that while people are keen to learn, perhaps formal "talks"
are not quite where we're at – yet.

David (@sprysoft) put forward a good idea of having a "theme" to talk
about each month. That way we can get some thoughts together before we
meet, but not have to prepare anything too serious. Some of the
comments in the survey point to this kind of idea too.

For example, next month could be about deployment.
We could chat about how people host their code, whether it be Heroku,
EC2 or their own servers.
We could discuss whether Capistrano is still useful, or whether
something like Etsy's deployinator could be the next big thing.

Maybe some other themes could be how people test, development
environments (Vim vs TextMate?!), code hosting (paid github or roll
your own?) – Whatever really?

After everyone's said enough or gets bored by the topic, we can just
chat and drink as normal.

If we're going to try to get more 'structured' it would be good to
somehow capture what gets said, so that its not lost in the blurry
memories of wheat ale. Maybe someone taking minutes is a bit extreme,
but perhaps we could contribute to an open source Jekyll blog to add
our thoughts of the evenings.

Anyway, just thinking out loud really.

I've really enjoyed the three meetups so far, so keeping up the
momentum would be great.
Let me know if this is going in the right (or wrong) direction.

Cheers,

Gareth