Ruby Software

Jon Morgan

Oct 11, 2011, 10:25:47 AM10/11/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Something I've wanted to know is what kind of applications do you guys create with Ruby?  Personally and/or professionally?

Do people generally use Ruby for network admin purposes or is it good for job schedulers, web services, etc?

Just wondering what the general consensus is really.

Cheers,

Jon.

Robert May

Oct 11, 2011, 10:28:31 AM10/11/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I personally use it for pretty much everything. Web apps/APIs etc, but I equally use it for one-off utilities like converting legacy databases and prototypes. There are quite a lot of companies doing interesting things with Ruby which you never hear about (as they get drowned out by the Rails crowd). I believe both NASA and Sony use it, for example.

Best,
Rob

David White

Oct 11, 2011, 10:48:34 AM10/11/11
to cardiffrb
Professionally I use Ruby mostly for Rails/Sinatra applications or
writing integration / acceptance test suites for Java API's or PHP
modules on a site.

Personally I use Ruby for pretty much everything unless there's a
better tool of for the job in another language or Ruby doesn't run on
that platform.

Both Rails and Sinatra are great for creating web services or job
schedulers, don't really do enough network admin to start building my
own tools.

David

Sam Knight

Oct 11, 2011, 10:49:53 AM10/11/11
to cardiffrb
I've used for screen scraping and server management as well as making
websites and interacting with other web services. Other people in
CardiffRB use it for testing non ruby apps as well.

David White

Oct 11, 2011, 10:55:34 AM10/11/11
to cardiffrb
Yeah I've heard NASA have started using Ruby. I know they've been big
on Python previously.

There's a lot of Ruby developers here @ the BBC now, we're using Ruby
to create mock web-services or testing using Cucumber, RSpec,
PageObjects. The new http://beta.bbc.co.uk site has a huge set of
RSpec / PageObjects tests, testing each module / portion of the site.

David

Sean Robbins

Oct 11, 2011, 5:53:39 PM10/11/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jon,

I mainly use Ruby for automated testing. We've got a growing library of drivers / Page Objects for Amaxus. I also use Ruby for mocking and / or testing APIs.

Sean