Next Meetup: 15th September

ghr

Sep 3, 2011, 8:41:10 PM9/3/11
to cardiffrb
Sorry I've been late organising this one. Had some freelance work so
been pretty busy.

I think people are keen on making Cardiffrb a bit more "serious" (for
lack of a better word). People seem to want talks and demos, which
would be great and I think we should be aiming to learn from the
meetups.

Sooooo, we could do with a venue where we've got some Wifi and a
projector.

VENUES:

Sean has said that Box might be able to offer some space. Is that
still the case?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

TALKS:

Zach (@zachinglis) is keen on doing a talk on SASS / Design for
Developers

I've (@_gareth) been playing with Chef recently so would be happy to
give a demo

Anyone else want to talk about something? Sean had 4 talks at the
Software Testing Meetup and that wen't down well.

ORGANISATION:

I've set the date as 15th September to give people some time to write
talks and to hopefully get us a better venue.

There only seems to be half of us on the mailing list as on the
website (my fault - need a link from the site to here). If you know
people who aren't on here, give them a prod!

David White

Sep 7, 2011, 8:47:58 AM9/7/11
to cardiffrb
Venues:

There's always the possibility of having it where Sean had his
Software Testing Meetup. Not sure if you need to pay the venue at that
point..? Otherwise I couldn't see BoxUK objecting as they have some
Ruby devs that would benefit from some talks. Especially if we do one
on Haml!

Talks:

Talks would be good. I'd be willing to give a talk on Software Testing
Java and PHP applications with Ruby, considering that's my bread and
butter these days.

David

Mark

Sep 7, 2011, 10:44:24 AM9/7/11
to cardiffrb
Hurrah for haml! We could have a formal debate :)

Sean Robbins

Sep 13, 2011, 5:19:49 AM9/13/11
to cardiffrb
Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply. In answer to the question:

"Sean has said that Box might be able to offer some space. Is that
still the case?"

I think its possible that we might be able to use the upstairs room in
Box UK, as it was previously used for the UX Book Club and the room
has been offered to me for this in the past (for Software Testing
Club).
That said, I can't guarantee it, I will have to ask and it'd be easier
if I can ask in advance so we might be out for this month.

The Promised Land, where STC Meetup was held might be available. I
think you can get the function room for free if you don't have anyone
on the bar. It's £50 if you want someone on the bar but I'd suggest
that for us, we'd be happy to walk down stairs to get drinks. They
might already have something booked for this Thursday though...

Sorry, my bad. I didn't get around to joining the Google Group until
today <<<hangs head in shame>>>

keeran

Sep 13, 2011, 6:39:54 AM9/13/11
to cardiffrb

> Sorry, my bad. I didn't get around to joining the Google Group until
> today <<<hangs head in shame>>>

*points at the door*

;D

No worries man, I think it's only Gareth with a confirmed talk subject
(sorry, I've had a v busy month!), so up to him!

Few new faces so could push the 'lets just have beer and chat' thing
for another month I reckon.

Sean Robbins

Sep 13, 2011, 7:50:59 AM9/13/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Happy to see what others say but if we do go ahead with the 'Let's just have a beer and a chat', we could make the chat about planning ahead for the October Meetup - what talks to have and location. I'm happy to speak to Promised Land and find out if it really is free without the bar open.
It would give people a month to prepare talks.
I am really interested in Chef though...

Jon Morgan

Sep 13, 2011, 8:25:41 AM9/13/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Chef is awesome (once you climb the steep learning curve).  Had a quick look at it when at previous job, along with Puppet.

Got a nice demo of deploying apps to Amazon EC2 with it at PHP UK Conference earlier this year.

ghr

Sep 13, 2011, 3:48:31 PM9/13/11
to cardiffrb
Cheers everyone.

I think by the looks of it we should have another "have some drinks
and a chat" night with an emphasis on planning for a "talks" meetup in
October as Sean suggested. Its a bit late for me to get a venue for
Thursday and most people haven't had time to prepare a talk (me
included really!).

SEAN: Would be great if you could speak to Box / The Promised Land.
Let us know what they say. I guess it wouldn't be *too* difficult to
get someone to "sponsor" for £50, so I can look in to that if we can't
get somewhere for free.

I'll start a "TALKS" thread where people can submit ideas for talks
and give an indication of when they'll be ready to do them.

Glad people are interested in Chef. I haven't fully got to grips with
it yet but from what I've learnt so far its pretty awesome. I'll
definitely get a demo ready for October.

So if we say same as usual for the next meetup?

NEXT MEETUP:

THURSDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER 2011
ZERO DEGREES
WESTGATE STREET, CARDIFF
19:00 – WHENEVER!

Would be great to come with ideas of talks you could do or talks you'd
like to hear.

See you Thursday!

Mark

Sep 13, 2011, 3:56:29 PM9/13/11
to cardiffrb
Hey if it's not too difficult to get £50 sponsorship, why are we
paying for our own pizzas?? ;)

Robin Matthews

Sep 13, 2011, 3:57:54 PM9/13/11
to card...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gareth

All sounds good to me. Looking forward to hearing about Chef.

Bare Naked would be pleased to sponsor the October meetup. Let me know
the arrangements/ cost.

Best
Robin

Sent from my iPhone

ghr

Sep 13, 2011, 6:56:53 PM9/13/11
to cardiffrb
Cheers Robin, very generous :) Will get in touch once I've done some
venue research

@mark LOL ;)