Mobile/base HF radio bands recommendations

1 view

YellowApron

Nov 23, 2022, 7:19:41 PM11/23/22
to CARC
Fine Ham people,
Finally saved enough money to get an HF to use in the truck and house. Of the many interests I have, among them is a *must* for CW to be included, what bands do you all most use like 6, 10, 20m etc and mobile antennas would you recommend for that band?

Regards,
Charles
There are no boxes except that in which you place yourself.

bl...@tribcsp.com

Nov 23, 2022, 8:16:25 PM11/23/22
to carc...@googlegroups.com

I do a lot of mobile CW. 20 meters is the primary band for sure. After
dark, activity switches to 40 meters. I have made contacts on the other
bands, but 40 and 20 are the powerhouses.

Mobile radios are a bit more difficult. I use an 857D with a CW filter.
Since that isn't made, I think the 891 is probably the closest current
option. If you have the room, an elecraft K2 or K3 would be awesome!

Antennas are the real crux of the installation. There are a bunch of us
who run Scorpion antennas. They aren't cheap but they will stand up to
the rugged Wyoming environment unlike most other antennas. They also
have about the best efficiency on 40 and 80 meters. If you want to hang
out on 20 and up, the little ham sticks are cheap and perform relatively
well.

Looking for keys, check out American Morse Equipment. I use one of
their little paddles on a homemade base plate that I strap to my leg.
Light weight and not too obtrusive.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/carc-post/HO0Dkoapw1icZVfWVfrwcW8rIw-My_mdFomikxr3s88qnKPuxqKG_hBbT3U4Hqe2QH34qDd6wLACKnWpk7JtgSDIbjojzsvRBzWn_YtAwZE%3D%40protonmail.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/carc-post/HO0Dkoapw1icZVfWVfrwcW8rIw-My_mdFomikxr3s88qnKPuxqKG_hBbT3U4Hqe2QH34qDd6wLACKnWpk7JtgSDIbjojzsvRBzWn_YtAwZE%3D%40protonmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Robert Rennard

Nov 23, 2022, 8:24:21 PM11/23/22
to YellowApron' via CARC-post
There is a paper by Ulrich Rohde of Rohde-Schwarz that shows analytically that you want your HF antenna to have the resonator near the middle of the vertical structure.  In other words, you do not want a base-loaded screwdriver antenna or a linear loaded BuddiPole.

I think this leaves TX Bug Catchers, and Hustler coils.  Hustler makes a low-power coil set and a high-power set.  The mechanical design of the low power coils makes them better for use in mobile antennas and they have less drag.

I suggest you get acquainted with Alan Applegate at Antenna Myths (k0bg.com).  Alan's website will help you get ready for HF mobile.  First thing, see how much noise your vehicle makes in the HF bands of choice.  BTW - he uses a Scorpion base-loaded screwdriver antenna.

Bob Rennard - N7WY

Garth Crowe

Nov 23, 2022, 8:45:30 PM11/23/22
to carc...@googlegroups.com
Charles,
What did you get?
While i don't do mobile cw but with a good ground system for the antenna base hamstick are an inexpensive choice for ssb.
I run a High Sierra mobile antenna 10-80M and have talked all over the world with both. The key is a good tuner for the hamsticks.
I have an Icom 706 and 7000 for mobile and operate multiple bands. A simple g5rv wire works well for your shack.
20m daytime
40m morning and afternoon
80m night time and early morning.
10m when the band is open in the daytime.
regards,

Charles

Nov 24, 2022, 3:26:32 PM11/24/22
to carc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for answering with excellent advice! Pulled the trigger on
the order. Chose what works best for my situation - setting up the base
and later will get hamsticks once I figure out how to make the
application. Meanwhile, this setup will allow using mobile at home and
POTA/SOTA when possible.

Bought the FT-891, FP-1030A power supply, FC-40 auto-tuner, BAS-71 end
fed and grounding/bonding accessories. Will pick up a ground rod
assembly locally. Really struggled between 891and 818ND for outdoor
activities and opted for more watts and larger screen the 891 offers.

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving to all!

73

--

Regards,
Charles

Charles

Nov 24, 2022, 3:31:38 PM11/24/22
to carc...@googlegroups.com

Bob, bookmarked! Gratitude.

Forgot to mention in previous email that also bought LMR-400 coax at shortest lengths expected.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/carc-post/1534792060.2334377.1669253055482%40mail.yahoo.com.
--
Regards,
Charles